Scanner Recommendation for Cobb County.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifly46niner

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to this, and would really appreciate any recommendations you might have for someone living in Cobb County. I've done a search, but want to make sure that whatever I buy is going to work with as many police / fire / first responder frequencies as possible. Thank you!

DanRollman

Database Admin
Forgot to mention that I'm looking for a handheld unit.
I'd suggest a Unication G4 or G5, or a Uniden SDS100, because these are the best scanners for quality of decoding P25 digital simulcast systems like Cobb has.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

ifly46niner

Premium Subscriber
I'd suggest a Unication G4 or G5, or a Uniden SDS100, because these are the best scanners for quality of decoding P25 digital simulcast systems like Cobb has.

Looks like the Uniden unit comes with options for Provoice, NXDN, or DMR...any thoughts?

DanRollman

Database Admin
Looks like the Uniden unit comes with options for Provoice, NXDN, or DMR...any thoughts?
You don't need any of those options for monitoring the Cobb County P25 system. I have an SDS100 with those options that I use for other sorts of monitoring though. I monitor Delta's Con+ DMR trunked system. I used the NXDN side to figure out the DeKalb School usage. That sort of thing.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I'd vote for the G4/G5 if you want performance. Don't own an SDS so I can't comment. You for sure want a TDMA capable radio, TDMA will soon dominate 17D.
I have the SDS100, Unication G5 and BKRadio KNG series. All perform well. Each has pros and cons. No doubt the G5 and KNG do better with weak signals than the SDS. But if you're in a strong signal area I find the SDS LSM decode quality to be about as good as the others.

packetboss

Premium Subscriber
I vote for the SDS... I live below Kennesaw Mountain, and while I get a great signal on Cobb County P25, my other scanners just can't decode it well, and I was beyond frustrated - the SDS was the answer and I am *very* pleased... In reference to MTS2000des comments on TDMA (thank you, by the way), I need to listen to how the SDS handled the phase2 TGIDs (e.g. CCT). I'll do that now, while I'm thinking about it - my BCD536HP didn't do well with that, in my opinion...

*edit: I have no basis of comparison to Unication - never owned one...

packetboss

Premium Subscriber
I need to listen to how the SDS handled the phase2 TGIDs (e.g. CCT). I'll do that now, while I'm thinking about it - my BCD536HP didn't do well with that, in my opinion...

I added the CCT Talkgroups (all TDMA transmissions) earlier today and spent time listening to them for clarity - assuming the speaker wasn't swallowing their microphone or otherwise speech-impaired, the quality of the decode was outstanding in my opinion... Magnatudinally better decoding & reception than what I experience with my BCD536HP.

As always, your mileage may vary, but I'm beyond happy with my SDS here in Cobb County.

Status
Not open for further replies.