Scanner recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4LW

Premium Subscriber
Located in Frederick County but travel all over the Eastern U.S. Looking at SDS100, Home Patrol 2 and Uniden 436. Which way would you go?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I would go with the SDS100. I have the 436 and it does not do as well traveling for me as the SDS100 does. I have a Comet SBB2 antenna mounted on my vehicle that I use on any scanner I take and the SDS100 has hands down been the best at keeping up with systems. I had the 436 for three years now and the SDS100 for five months and take it out more because it is much better IMO.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If you really want for travel, nothing is as good as a 436/535/SDS100/ or SDS200. If by portable you mean handheld - SDS100.

I run a HP2, but have one of each if needed :) One of those with GPS is really the only usable one for large statewide systems (and GPS0. The 996 types can't handle programming with the file size limits. (system ,dept.,TG limits).

On the x,SDS, or HP either create custom lists and include location or use the full db. If it the same areas all the time, build lists. HP@ are fine, but have some limitations.

AND GET A GPS

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Everybody has their own opinion about which scanner is the best on the market and recommends them to others because that's what they like.

Opinions are just like a part of your body, ever one has one, that doesn't make the scanner they recommend right for you.

But the real reality is you need to do your own research and figure out what you want or need to meet your interest.

A true scanner enthusiast will learn how to program and operate his own equipment without the help of others.

One thing to think about is the 325p2 and 996p2 doesn't require a SD card to operate on where most of the others mentioned above do. With that being said the SD card is the weakest link in the scanner and gets corrupted fairly easily.

Again i recommend that you do your own research and make up your own mind.

KB4LW

Premium Subscriber
Asking the questions and getting advice is part of the research. Getting comments from scanner users helps in making the choices. It brings up issues some may have had with particular scanners and some manufacturing problems that may have cropped up for some. Some of the newer systems that one hasn't dealt with allow comments to help make those decisions on what is best. And yes I research the heck out of things before plunking down those dollars.

DewayneC

I have the HP-1 and live in N.C., when I travel it very seldom picks up any HP traffic, I do have it on GPS and when around home it breaks up real bad and just stops transmitting in middle of conversation, always has and don’t know why. I have never been happy with the HP-1.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
SDS100, hands down., particularly if you travel Most flexible radio on the market at this time, and excels at P25 simulcast reception which more and more jurisdictions are adopting.

Bob1955

Everybody has their own opinion about which scanner is the best on the market and recommends them to others because that's what they like.

Opinions are just like a part of your body, ever one has one, that doesn't make the scanner they recommend right for you.

But the real reality is you need to do your own research and figure out what you want or need to meet your interest.

A true scanner enthusiast will learn how to program and operate his own equipment without the help of others.

One thing to think about is the 325p2 and 996p2 doesn't require a SD card to operate on where most of the others mentioned above do. With that being said the SD card is the weakest link in the scanner and gets corrupted fairly easily.

Again i recommend that you do your own research and make up your own mind.
I agree whole hearted with you!

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I would go with the 436HP or SDS100, only being because of the amount of information displayed on the screen and the amount it can hold

Bob1955

I would go with the 436HP or SDS100, only being because of the amount of information displayed on the screen and the amount it can hold
LeSueurC, No WAY would I purchase "any" scanner with a SD card. I'll buy a Uniden bearcat BCD-996P2 for my next base/mobile scanner but will wait as I just bought a new Apple I 8 Plus and took advantage of the $150 buy back offer on my (4) year old Apple I 6 that was slowing down but was in MINT condition. I don't FINANCE my credit cards. Hope everyone has a safe weekend.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
LeSueurC, No WAY would I purchase "any" scanner with a SD card. I'll buy a Uniden bearcat BCD-996P2 for my next base/mobile scanner but will wait as I just bought a new Apple I 8 Plus and took advantage of the $150 buy back offer on my (4) year old Apple I 6 that was slowing down but was in MINT condition. I don't FINANCE my credit cards. Hope everyone has a safe weekend.

I mean I’ve had no problems whatsoever with my 436 or any of my SD card oriented scanners. To each is own i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.