Scanner Recorder and Laptop with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

I plug it in the line-in of my laptop and I get nothing. No sound through the computer's speakers. Doesn't record anything. How do I set this up? Does this even work with Vista?

xpawel15x

Kay I got it to record but when scanner is plugged in to laptop, it does not come through the computer's speakers so I don't hear it until I stop the recording and open it with media player. How do I make it to come through the comp's speakers?

mrova

you might try to go into properties for your volume control...maybe there's a button to click or box to check (or uncheck) for the external speakers. Or, see if they're muted.
sv

xpawel15x

mrova said:
you might try to go into properties for your volume control...maybe there's a button to click or box to check (or uncheck) for the external speakers. Or, see if they're muted.
sv

Did that and nothing is muted. Thanks for the thought though.

DanHenry

Some Dell laptops require a registry tweak to monitor input

xpawel15x said:
Kay I got it to record but when scanner is plugged in to laptop, it does not come through the computer's speakers so I don't hear it until I stop the recording and open it with media player. How do I make it to come through the comp's speakers?

By any chance is that a Dell laptop? Many Dell Inspiron laptops (and possibly other Dells) are shipped with the ability to monitor the input through the speakers disabled. I had to do a simple registry tweak on my Dell Inspiron 6000 to enable it.

Here are a couple links with info if it's a Dell.

See post #4 by "jimco"
http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...essage.id=24756&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

See post #2 by "jimco". Slight difference in details. Steps are the same.
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&message.id=25408

Good luck,

-Dan

xpawel15x

DanHenry said:
By any chance is that a Dell laptop? Many Dell Inspiron laptops (and possibly other Dells) are shipped with the ability to monitor the input through the speakers disabled. I had to do a simple registry tweak on my Dell Inspiron 6000 to enable it.

See post #4 by "jimco"
http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...essage.id=24756&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&message.id=25408

Good luck,

-Dan

Yes it is a Dell Inspiron 1525 just bought it yesterday. Thank You I will look into those links.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
sjcscanner said:
It should work with vista. Try plugging it in to the mic port.

You know this? A LOT of programs that work under other versions of Windows do not work under Vista.

bonus1331

DanHenry said:

See post #4 by "jimco"

Good luck,

-Dan

Found the same links a couple of months ago.
Worked like a charm.

xpawel15x

Well I am back to square one because the first step to edit the registry is to go to START and then RUN. I know that's how it is on Win XP but there is no RUN in the Start menu in Win Vista. So I can't look for the file to edit the registry..:(

MaxMan1986

I've got the same problem with my Gateway laptop. I've looked all around the internet but there doesn't seem to be any fix for it.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You may want to consider pulling vista off and putting XP on. My wife bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, and immediately ran into compatibility issues because of Vista. We bought a new hard drive, swapped it out and stored the Vista loaded drive just in case. I put a fresh XP install on, downloaded all the necessary drivers from the laptop manufacturers web page and it's working great. Now, she doesn't use scanner recorder, but she does use the sound card, and some of her XP programs simply would not work under Vista. In fact, the only programs that DID work were the programs that came preloaded.

digitalanalog

xpawel15x said:
Well I am back to square one because the first step to edit the registry is to go to START and then RUN. I know that's how it is on Win XP but there is no RUN in the Start menu in Win Vista. So I can't look for the file to edit the registry..:(

In Vista do it like this.................

1 - Click Start, there should be a "start search" window open at the bottom of the Start window.

2 - Type in "Run" (without quotation marks)
, Then hit enter.

Last edited:

ibagli

zz0468 said:
You know this? A LOT of programs that work under other versions of Windows do not work under Vista.

Scanner Recorder isn't one of those.

xpawel15x

bonus1331 said:
Found the same links a couple of months ago.
Worked like a charm.

I followed the steps on those links but the registry does not match and the folders are different propably because the links show steps to fix this on Win XP. I have Vista and the registry is different. Back to square one again..:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.