Scanner Stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
(Let me know if anyone needs more pictures! I love taking them, but I hate transferring them from phone to computer. I have a thing for losing cables. :( )

The start to my Home Shack is not only going to be my new 15x, but now a quick and easy way (not to mention slick looking!) to stack your radios!

I've posted this as a response to another forum, but I feel like showing everyone this way. (And correct me if there's someone else who has already debuted this idea, I apologize)

photo33is.jpg

I went and bought some plexiglass at my local home improvement store. If you're tight on cash, look for pieces which have breaks or scratches in it, they'll price it lower for you, BUT you have to ask them too.

So with my plexiglass, I eyeballed a width (as looked at from the finished product) and a general height. All of which can be adjusted as you find out what dimensions you like, or which dimensions you have space for.

An easy way to cut this shape out is with a straight object, and an exacto-blade. I just run the blade down once, and then (wearing the proper safety equipment) bend the pieces (away from you!) to create the cut. A skill saw isn't all too bad if you cut SLOWLY, and make sure your pieces are clamped down.

photo41v.jpg

I then clamped both pieces of plexiglass together, (once you have cut your square/rectangular pieces out) and drew a line down the center. (for lining up our holes)

I have a drill press, which makes this a tad easier, but you can certainly do this with a cordless drill!
Drill your holes. And the thing about this is, the more holes the better!

Watch out though, plexiglass is extremely easy to shatter! I like choosing a drill bit that isn't entirely too dull, and going nice and slow when you make your holes. Remember that when you fall through with your hole on the plexiglass, the plexiglass will want to ride up your drill bit.

Now one thing I do have to say to bash this idea is if your scanners all have different lengths (from left to right, looking at the front of your scanner.) This would offset the distance that these two pieces of plexiglass would have to connect themselves with the next scanner. My CB radio is just a couple hairs wider than my 15x. In the great scheme of things it isn't that big of a deal.

It does make for a nice look, actually a very sharp look once your plexiglass's plastic covers are taken off! And I love how the bottom speakers can be aimed outward with adjusting the angle of your scanner/radio!

mgolden2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks great! Keep up the good work

TenneeRox

This really is sharp! What a good idea! Gosh I've only worked with metal and plywood myself; why haven't I ever taught of plastic? In a town I used to live in had a place that sold plastic raw stock. My Dad liked to make unique things out of plastic and I'd have fun doing some stuff too. They sold stock in various thicknesses and colors, gee I wonder if there is such a place around where I live now or maybe somewhere on-line that sells such stuff. Again what a clever use of material, 5 stars my man, thanks for sharing!

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Plexiglass?!?!?!? he shouts, as he slaps himself in the forehead, why didn't I think of that??

Kudos to you....you over-achiever. Just kidding!

What a terrific idea, and now to the drawing board....

Russell

SCPD

QRT
You guys are great!

I'm always trying to find new and creative ways to enjoy my radios. I'll start coming up with more and more cool ideas for all of us who arent willing to shell out bigger bucks for accessories.

Thank you guys for the support, it motivates me!

Show me pics of your stands when you make them!

SCPD

QRT
Looks great! I could also see where you could modify one of those for handhelds too.

Indeed.... If you have any idea to go about this route, I'd like to hear it. I've got a couple portables that I wouldn't mind making a basic stand for. I have a general idea, but I'm always looking for ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.