Scanner stops on frequency but no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

I programmed this EDACS system into my scanner and it receives fine but every now and then the scanner will stop on a frequency and no audio will come over, and it will just blink on and off and I will miss that part of the transmittion. This also happened on a 800mhz motorola system but it varies from day to day. Sometimes it receives all day without this "skipping" but some days it just keeps doing that. I am using a 800mhz antenna, but the systems are not local, the EDACS system is a town that is 17 miles away, so I'm thinking it can be a reception issue. Scanner is a Pro-97. Did anyone have this issue before? Please let me know.

btritch

It could be intereference of some sort but also I have never had it happen with that system but with my local LTR system it will do that once in awhile and it's because there's more than one base frequency they're using and they're on one of the other two frequencies..I can hit scan and it will jump to the next frequency.. I'm not sure about your problem though, I do not know much about that type of trunking system but that's a suggestion anyways...Hope I could help!

SCPD

QRT
Things to check. 1) check & make sure they are in LCN order as per RR database or other confirmed source starting X001 , X being the bank number, 2) make sure each frequency or channel is tuned to ED or edacs mode as well as the bank . 3) quite possible it may be the distance & if so either outside Antenna or the RS 800mHZ rubber duck should help
Paul

One last possibility. channel could be encrypted if the same TG everytime??

Last edited:

n2mdk

By blink on and off I take it you mean the LCD display. I'm not sure what causes that on the Pro-97 but I think it's related somehow to signal strength and loosing the control channel. It doesn't happen to me that often but it is annoying.

xpawel15x

AlabamaRS said:
Things to check. 1) check & make sure they are in LCN order as per RR database or other confirmed source starting X001 , X being the bank number, 2) make sure each frequency or channel is tuned to ED or edacs mode as well as the bank . 3) quite possible it may be the distance & if so either outside Antenna or the RS 800mHZ rubber duck should help
Paul

One last possibility. channel could be encrypted if the same TG everytime??

I checked everything, it's programmed correctly and I am using the rs 800mhz ducky.

n2mdk said:
By blink on and off I take it you mean the LCD display. I'm not sure what causes that on the Pro-97 but I think it's related somehow to signal strength and loosing the control channel. It doesn't happen to me that often but it is annoying.

Yes, there is no thunderbolt and the screen blinks on and off showing the frequency with the tg but no signal thunderbolt. I think you're right... Looks like the scanner has trouble decoding the control channel because it's a relatively weak signal strength. Right now it's night and the signal is better at night and this happens less frequently or doesn't happen at all.

N8IAA

xpawel15x said:
I checked everything, it's programmed correctly and I am using the rs 800mhz ducky.
If you are using the RS 800mhz duck, is the squelch open all the way? 17 miles is a long way for a signal to go on that frequency. I have noticed that my 96 receives much better than my 97. Again, a long way off to receive that signal.
Larry

xpawel15x

The squelch is set just after the hissing stops on conventional frequencies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
At that level, it is easy for the scanner to either go open squelch (static) or squelched. Even a slight nudge of the squelch knob (either by turning on the unit or adjusting the volume) can break squelch.

Status
Not open for further replies.