Scanner whish list Please add if you like:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0381

I see a lot of good features. The question is can all these be incorporated into 1 or 2 scanners. Looks like it would be well worth the money provided also the scanner would incorporate a way to update the firmware via a flash download.

Go-24

A discrimintor jack might provide access to these capabilities, but why not just put them on board ...

- noise (static) reduction
- effects (reverb/echo reduction)
- equalizer (tone control)

Bentley

How about a user friendly main menu screen like on cell phones, instead of having to remember all the two step FUNC. + (insert # here) keys. It becomes quite confusing after a while.

MAIN MENU
CONTRAST SETTINGS
BANK OPEN/CLOSED MODES
BACKLIGHT DURATION
EDIT WELCOME SCREEN
EDIT TEXT
Etc...stuff like that

Now, I'm only speaking about radio shack units...maybe other manufacturers already have this....I dunno

Chris0381

Actually a menu system is badly needed to compensate for the lousy user manuals that GRE puts out PRO-97, 83, 99 are examples. And to be able to use a memory stick is a great idea and Im sure the memory doesnt have to be veyy large 1 data file for my scanner is ony 50,000 kb

Chris0381

Gotta add a digital strength meter so I know if my antenna positioning is getting a better or worse signal like my digital TV antennae.

Go-24

- Standard USB instead of serial

I have several scanners, but only 1 serial on my computer, I have about 6 USB slots on my computer + 2 more on my monitor!

Last edited:

JHaislet

For the 396T:

Fire Tone-Out & have Weather Alert/SAME active at the same time. I usually leave the 396T in tone-out mode 24/7 when not actively monitoring, and it would be really nice if weather alert could also be active at the same time.

I'll second a Smart NiMH desktop charging stand. The current timed charger in the 396T SUCKS to put it simply. Regardless of the battery state, it cooks the batteries for a number of hours and heats up the whole radio...I'm sure Uniden could turn a decent time selling a desktop quick-charger as well and putting charging contacts on the bottom of the radio would probably cost pennies in the grand scheme of things.

daleduke17

Global and per channel squelch control. Have one or the other activated. Sometimes one channel is too weak to recieve, but, when I turn the squelch open to hear it, other channels have way too much interference.

safetyobc

daleduke17 said:
Global and per channel squelch control. Have one or the other activated. Sometimes one channel is too weak to recieve, but, when I turn the squelch open to hear it, other channels have way too much interference.

That is GREAT idea!!!! I vote for that!

timmer

A smaller version of a pro 97. As small as the Alinco dj x 7. Also, a pro 96 that can trunk 700mhz freq's like the Uniden 396t can.

STiMULi

daleduke17 said:

With some scanners this can be done in remote control software :)

It would be a great standalone feature though

VintageJon

I like the Pro96 a lot with StarSoft and the RR Database, but I'd like about 1000 Alpha Tags per bank. (currently 250 Tags per bank. I love Alpha Tags... Best thing I've had on a scanner.)

Battery Condition display desired also...

-Jon

SCPD

QRT
Bentley said:
How about a user friendly main menu screen like on cell phones, instead of having to remember all the two step FUNC. + (insert # here) keys. It becomes quite confusing after a while.

MAIN MENU
CONTRAST SETTINGS
BANK OPEN/CLOSED MODES
BACKLIGHT DURATION
EDIT WELCOME SCREEN
EDIT TEXT
Etc...stuff like that

Now, I'm only speaking about radio shack units...maybe other manufacturers already have this....I dunno

I agree..the 396 has made it a lot easier by having these same options on the menu, now it would be nice for Radio Shack scanners

nexus

My only true scanner WISH list would be to make a Trunktracking scanner that worked with EDACS PROVOICE!

The only department I really wanna be able to listen to is using the damn stuff.

okccsi

You guys are more hardcore than I. Recording capabilities would be awesome, and I like the before mentioned idea of desktop chargers with smart scanning. That would be perfect.

OKC CSI

Status
Not open for further replies.