Scanner whish list Please add if you like:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0381

Just a few things I whish scanners had, if they do have these please let me know which scanners have them.

1) It would nice to have ascanner with flash memory say just a couple of megabytes to store Win data files in so we can store them and load them from within the scanner.

Imagine taking a long road trip and being able to store a series of data files for each vacinity you pass thru.

2) Instead of a lot of channels, I would like to see a lot of banks say 20 so we can segregate the channels better allowing for more efficient scanning by turning off banks instead of having to lockout a lot of channels.

3) A built in digital clock.

4) A delay of more than 2 seconds or variable so I can have enough delay to cover our FD's alert tone.

5) I'm tempted to say MP3 recording ability for note taking and to record transmissions; my 512 mb MP3 player can hold 14 hrs of recordings and is very tiny.

Any others ?

Last edited:

John_M

Chris0381, #2 we already have in Uniden dynamic memory scanners. For handhelds I would like the ability to shut off the keypad lighting while keeping the display light on. This would save battery life when running on batteries. Sometimes all I want to see is the display. For a base scanner I would want one with a big display and all the features of the 996t minus the GPS (Maybe this is what Uniden has in store for us next?).

Chris0381

Thanks John yea I see your point sometimes its only necessary to see the display. I'll look into a uniden as my next scanner but for now Im comitted to a Pro-97.

MacombMonitor

Feature #1 is already available in Radio Shack's (GRE Mfg.) PRO-96, and PRO-2096 models. It's called VFolders.

K9GTJ

Chris0381 said:
1) It would nice to have ascanner with flash memory say just a couple of megabytes to store Win data files in so we can store them and load them from within the scanner.

Imagine taking a long road trip and being able to store a series of data files for each vacinity you pass thru.

Uniden also addresses this with their new GPS enabled scanners. You can program in large areas and then the scanner will seemlessly add or delete systems as you drive down the highway.

Jeffn8wb

I would like to have the ability to have time shift recording. I guess the best example of this would be TiVo pause feature while watching live tv. If something interesting is happening on the scanner, it would be a great feature to be able to pause playback if needed and have the scanner continue to look for and record the activity it finds. Then be able to resume to catch up on what I missed while away from the scanner. With activity not being 100%, we should be able to catch up on what happened while away, then have the radio go back to "live" mode when the memory has been cleared.

I would also like to have dual scan capability. Have the scanner look for activity, then when it finds something have it continue to scan in the background while we listen to one talk group (the second scan process muted while we listen to the first). Then, after a selectable delay, if some activity were found on the second scan process, it would shift to primary. It would then play the recorded data (see prior suggestion) to let us catch up on the activity that we missed while scanning the selected system searching for yet more activity.

gccflscan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Chris0381 said:
Just a few things I whish scanners had, if they do have these please let me know which scanners have them.

I agree, see my list below which includes SD/MMC card or other similar type.

Chris0381 said:
5) I'm tempted to say MP3 recording ability for note taking and to record transmissions; my 512 mb MP3 player can hold 14 hrs of recordings and is very tiny.
?

Sounds good to me, with an SD or other media card support this is not an issue.

I fail to see the utility in GPS intergration. If it works for you great, but I just don't scan that way I guess, long trip or not. I am going to research the area(s) first from the local monitor websites and FCC data and program accordingly. As far as I see this is "glitz" features while ignoring features scanners need like other digital protocols.

My list:

ProVOICE (Unencrypted) EDACS Digital, dont give me the standard BS line about "not enough systems", "licensing issues," you already paid for the IMBE license for P25! and no issue if you clean room reverse engineering the framing bits. I am tired of hearing the excuses, just get it done. Just about every EDACS system in FL will within 2-3 years be 100% ProVoice!

EFJ MulitNet LTR
Passport LTR

SSB for the below 30MHz frequencies that are showing up in new units

Dual Receivers for FTO & Scan, WX Alert & Scan, Convetional on one & Trunked on one, Dual Trunking, Dual FTO

RID/LID ID decode and display and output to RS232

RID/LID following as it changes TG

Talkgroup Priority like conventional priority

Discrimintor output to jack for SSTV, fax, RTTY, EMWIN, ACARS, etc..

5/6 Tone (all tone sets), DTMF, Knox decode

ANI including GE-Star, MDC etc. for digital, along with the 5/6 & DTMF tone formats.

NC/NO contactS (with an S) on the back panel activatable by channel

Multiple antenna inputs selectable by memory slot, ie: one for UHF, one for 800, a yagi for that out of range system, etc.. 3-4 would be good.

SD/MMC cards to transfer setup from one radio to another with out a computer & software

MacombMonitor

Chris0381 said:
Looks like the 96 is a nice scanner.

Numerous Radio Shack stores are closing, and are having clearance sales. If you find one of these stores with a PRO-96 in stock, you can get 40% off, which equates to a selling price of $299.99, so you will be saving $200.00!

I also heard that all Radio Shacks will be putting the PRO-96, and PRO-2096 on sale this weekend at $399.99, so you would be saving $100.00.

Dorpmuller

I'd be happy if my Pro-97 was built like a commercial radio instead of chintzy plastic. I love the radio but I'm afraid to use it when I'm out photographing. (trains)

Rich

Bentley

Bluetooth...I'd love to be able to leave my scanner on my desk or in the car, and listen to it via a wireless ear plug. I know its possible to do now, but It would be nice if it were built into the unit itself.

Weather Alert while scanning. Now, the weather alert will only come on if the WX channel is on.

L A R G E R Displays - as mentioned above

MacombMonitor

Bentley said:
Weather Alert while scanning. Now, the weather alert will only come on if the WX channel is on.

My local County Sheriff's department, as well as the State Police, put out reliable weather advisories to their officers long before any Weather Alerts would trigger a scanner.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I'll add one wish to the wishlist:

P25 Digital trunking capable, rebanding ready, 700 MHz ready, handheld, computer programmable, sub $200 price tag.

Seriously. $550 GPS capable units that make tons of coleslaw and crinkle fries are really cool, but I want a bare bones basic digital trunking scanner I can knock around, beat up, bang into things with and not have a coronary if I suddenly can't find it. How about it Uniden? Doable?

EDIT: And you know what? One more thing... if Uniden does take me up on the idea, then I WANNA BE IN THE BETA PROGRAM THIS TIME DARN IT!!!!! :D

-AZ

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
For hand held scanners, I'd like to see a drop-in desktop charger, like they already have for commercial two way radios and amateur HT's. And not just a plain charger, but a smart charger, that detects the current state of the batteries, and charges them fully, then automatically switches to a trickle charge to avoid cooking the batteries. It should charge fully depleted batteries in 2-3 hours.

You could get a desktop charger for the old Regency HX-1000/1200/1500 line of scanners, although it was just a plain charger, nothing too fancy.

MacombMonitor

Why settle for only two antenna inputs? The ICOM IC-R100 has three!
(Pictures courtesy of RigPix)

Attachments

• icr100_rear.jpg
    icr100_rear.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 503
  • icr100.jpg
    icr100.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I would like to add to the bluetooth idea and have it for connecting to a PC as well as a BT headset. you could also connect to GPS via BT. I thought about the SD/MMC card for loading different areas for different cards but someone beat me to it. what I would add to the SD/MMC option would be to have the ability to record into MP3 or other compressed format audio from the scanner. I also thought about having the scanner log info on the memory card as well. something I have wanted was to be able to access the scanner via a PPC. with this idea the BT would be handy. if this could be done and software created for it, you would be able to use the PDA to load more data, record audio and log traffic.

I liked the SSB and drop in charger. what about a drop in charger for the car?

what about making a scanner built into a camera phone? just kidding...

A large bright dot matrix VFD display or a large full color LCD display like the new Icom radios have. Enough with the green and orange washed out LCD displays that have to be turned just so to view. Especially on base units which are powered from 120ac or 12volts anyway.

That and I wouldn't mind having programmable switchable antenna inputs like the AR-5000 has available. That is a very useful feature.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
another...dual receive or rather dual scanning. it would double the speed and you could set one on one freq and let the other scan. you would be able to scan the same memories or two seperate ones

Status
Not open for further replies.