Scanner with 25 kHz steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Got a buddy who travels a great deal for business (US only) and has shown a interest in listening to civil aviation radio communication during layovers and nights spent in airport hotels.

My plan is to setup a simple custom search/tune search for 118–136.975 MHz.

The problem I am running into is the current Uniden (BC125AT, BC75XLT) and Whistler (WS1010) handhelds won't do 25 kHz steps in this band. The Uniden models are locked in at 8.33 kHz and the Whistler is a bit better at 12.5 kHz.

Searching only 760 channels or having to search through 2,280 channels is a big deal for his use.

Options? Well aware that the newer trunking scanners allow adjustable band steps but that would be overkill for this application.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The 8.33Khz spacing will be mandated in Europe soon. Many newer US aircraft radios are capable of this spacing now even though it's not required. So, if you had a scanner that could only do 25Khz, it could be obsolete in a few years. Whereas, an 8.33Khz scanner will be useful for a long time. Yes, it will take a little longer to search, but using the info in the RR database you can narrow down the ranges. I travel regularly and program in the frequencies for the airports that I will visit ahead of time.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
You might want to look into a hand held communications receiver such as the Icom R-20 or AOR 8200 mkIII.

Both can handle the step size you are looking at. Both can be programmed through a computer.

Both are considered professional quality receivers.

SCPD

QRT
The 8.33Khz spacing will be mandated in Europe soon. Many newer US aircraft radios are capable of this spacing now even though it's not required. So, if you had a scanner that could only do 25Khz, it could be obsolete in a few years. Whereas, an 8.33Khz scanner will be useful for a long time. Yes, it will take a little longer to search, but using the info in the RR database you can narrow down the ranges. I travel regularly and program in the frequencies for the airports that I will visit ahead of time.

Thanks. I figured the Eurocontrol mandate was the reasoning but these scanners are mainly marketed to US/Canada users and 25Khz is what is currently being used here. If at a later date 8.33Khz is mandated here, put out a new firmware then.

I assume that aircraft from Europe do/will switch back to 25 kHz when in our airspace.

The programming suggestion is a good one for a radio "enthusiast" but my buddy that I would be buying this radio for just looking something he can turn on a hit search and receive all he can, wherever he is at.

You might want to look into a hand held communications receiver such as the Icom R-20 or AOR 8200 mkIII.

Both can handle the step size you are looking at. Both can be programmed through a computer.

Both are considered professional quality receivers.

Thanks as well. As a owner of a AR-DV1, I am pretty familiar with voice receivers but for my buddy's use, these pro receivers would be overkill. Basically he just wants to turn it on, hit a few buttons while at the airport (using headphones) or on the nightstand at airport hotels and hear whatever.

Fast1eddie

Take a look at Sporty's, they are a supplier to the end users in the aviation industry. At one time they sold a private label AM/FM/Vhf portable radio, somewhat similar to a Sony manufactured product in the early to mid 80's.

Keep it simple, check it out.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Take a look at Sporty's, they are a supplier to the end users in the aviation industry. At one time they sold a private label AM/FM/Vhf portable radio, somewhat similar to a Sony manufactured product in the early to mid 80's.

Keep it simple, check it out.

Edward,

Thanks, I will check out Sporty's.

You are right on about "keeping it simple". Having setup more than a few scanners over the years for family and friends, if it isn't easy to use, it goes in a drawer, never to be used again.

byndhlptom

Sinple Aircraft scanner

You might want to look at the older Uniden BC100/200XLT.

They had programmable search, simple to operate. The battery pack was unique, but easy to rebuild. With newer high capacity batteries, you can get 12+ hours off a charge (originals were only 600-800 mA). External power optional, BNC antenna, etc. Even have a Weather quick key

You can find them for less than $50 on Ebay....

I still have a few, work great (even my elderly non-technical Dad could run it)

$.02

SCPD

QRT
You might want to look at the older Uniden BC100/200XLT.

They had programmable search, simple to operate. The battery pack was unique, but easy to rebuild. With newer high capacity batteries, you can get 12+ hours off a charge (originals were only 600-800 mA). External power optional, BNC antenna, etc. Even have a Weather quick key

You can find them for less than $50 on Ebay....

I still have a few, work great (even my elderly non-technical Dad could run it)

$.02

Thanks, I will take a look.

Never been much of a handheld user myself, always preferred base/mobile units and have owned pretty much every model from Uniden, GRE and now Whistler made in the last ten years so my knowledge of handheld models is a bit weak.

The only issue I have with buying used is I personally have had bad luck. One I purchased had clearly been abused (dropped) and the other had it's front end fried. In both cases I got my money back but it was a bit of a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.