scanning issue with bc296d

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5UFO

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I just recently acquired a bc296d scanner at one of my local Goodwill stores and am having a slight issue with recieving digital trunked systems. I have all the channels programmed as well as the IDs and Tags. I can scroll thru the channels manually and can recieve them fine but once it is put into scan mode it wll not recieve them, only my conventional channels in the other bank. Ive done research but it seems ive done all i need to but it will still not work and I dont know why. I have had previous experience dealing with digital scanners(ie RS Pro96/2096) just not a Uniden and can already tell that it is not the most userfriendly scanner I have dealt with. Any help would be much appreciated.Trunking system info that I am currently scanning is located here: Houston County / Peach County Trunking System, Various, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

SCPD

QRT
I recently went through the PRO-2096 to BCD-996T transition. When I say 'recent', I mean in the past month, so I'm anything but an expert. For me, manual programming while trying to figure out all of the menus was overwhelming. There are just too darn many options and menus for a new guy, perfectly obvious after awhile but complicated enough to drive a newbie to watching Say Yes To The Dress instead of scanning!

For me, the answer was to download Freescan, renew my RadioReference paid membership, download the systems I wanted to monitor and have fun. I even considered exporting the PRO-2096 data (years worth of fine tuning) and importing to the Uniden. It wasn't worth it. All was good after a load from the RR database and verifying I had all the same stuff (plus more) as the 2096.

KI5UFO

Premium Subscriber
yea that sounds about right for me, dont get me wrong but i like the multiple options its just a hassle at times. I wish i could do that i just dont have the cable to program it via computer as the only cable i have is the one for the pro96 and unfortunately uniden and radioshack are not compatible with each other as i wish they would have been lol

SCPD

QRT
296t

Isnt the little 296 an analog trunker only?I dont think it does digital.My 330T doesnt do digital and thats newer.The 296T was an awesome little scanner,but it doesnt do digital talkgroups.

KI5UFO

Premium Subscriber
yea its a bc296d, it does digital and analog. I can pick up my county as long as im scrolling through the channels just not in scan mode thats what confuses the heck outta me.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Incorrect. The BC296 was the first Uniden scanner to be able to do P25 decoding. It comes with the BC25i digital card installed, unlike its older brother, the BC250, where that card was separate (the 250 can't do P25, tho - only mixed mode...)

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.