Scanning OPEN or CLOSED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

Of my ten banks, three are Trunked, seven are not. Currently, my Trunked banks are closed and my conventional banks are open. Should I have the banks "open" or "closed" or does it matter? Everything seems to be working fine the way it is, but is there an advantage to some being open and others being closed?

captclint

Mentor
Of my ten banks, three are Trunked, seven are not. Currently, my Trunked banks are closed and my conventional banks are open. Should I have the banks "open" or "closed" or does it matter? Everything seems to be working fine the way it is, but is there an advantage to some being open and others being closed?
I like to scan all trunked systems in the open mode most of the time. That way, I can find new talk groups, and even ones that move from one home channel to another new one in LTR systems. The open mode simply means you are going to hear EVERY TGID instead of just the ones in your TGID list. It's like searching for new TGID's. I lock out those TGID's that I have identified and don't care about, or can't stand(garbage trucks). The open or closed mode ONLY applies to trunking, so don't worry about them for conventional.

If you aren't on the lookout for new ones, or are totally satisfied with the ones you want to hear, then run closed. But you should probably devote some time to the open mode occasionally to see what new ones pop up. Probably, this is less likely with public safety systems.

Last edited:

BaLa

You need to figure out what works for you., :p

On the larger ones, I like to program in what I like to hear/listen to and CLOSE the bank.
ex. the county I am in, has 1 system for the whole county.

Closing a bank would keep you from finding new TGs of course.

-
I thought OPEN/CLOSED also applied to Conv Freqs with PL tones programmed?

DELCOLHFC

I think you are confusing PL/DPL search, which can be activated on a particular frequency, but in my 796, it applies to EVERY conventional channel :mad:

It all depends on the scanner model, the RS Pro-92 / 2067 series needs to be in closed mode for programmed PL tones to be used, in open mode it ignores any programmed PL's.

N8IAA

Only in trunked mode, Charles. OPEN/CLOSED modes have no bearing on conventional VHF/UHF frequencies with PL or DPL. The advantage to the closed mode in trunking, is that you will hear only the TGID's you have programmed. In the open mode, the scanner will decode all TG's on the system. With my 106, however, It only scans the TG's I enter. Of, course, if I enter a Wildcard TG, it will decode even encrypted TG's on digital systems. But we digress, being that you have a 164:)
Larry

CrabbyMilton

That is up to you. During the week, I 'll generally listen with the banks closed as I only want to hear my favorites. However on holidays or if I wake up in the middle of the night, I'll open them up. After all, the school buses are tucked away in their bus beds dreaming about pretty motorcoaches so you won't hear anything on their talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.