Scanning Rhode Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
No, I haven't got a digital scanner yet....still listening to the analog ones. But I did manage to get SOME trunking working. I can hear a ton of stufff from the ACI across town loud and clear. I programmed in the State D.O.T. and RIPTA but never hear anything. I am still not understanding the radio's manual (Radio Shack Pro-2055) not very well written. I would be interested in help though cause I just cant figure out stuff like fleet maps and whatever.

Bob, Your over thinking this programming. You don't need fleet maps. The State D.O.T and RIPTA are no longer. The only analog system you can listen to would be the MSP Troop D or H. The new world of scanning are control channels and talkgroup ID's. Try to watch this you tube video it should help you understand a little more. Very hard to read and learn this new stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWrOAEaTRv0

w1av

Digital and trunking

Thanks Nascar18,

I didnt know about the DOT and RIPTA. There is nothing on the Radio reference pages that give much more detail. I did watch the video and it was very informative. Apparently there is quite a bit on digital to listen to. The only trunking I can get to work is the ACI guards and whoever else is using those talk groups. They use 800mhz and I can hear them at good distances mobile using a dual band (2/440) antenna. I picked up a new Bearcat BC355n and installed it in my car. I have about 60 analog channels of mostly aircraft, fire, rescue and some police. I did find a few frequencies on 472mhz which sounded like an electric company. I wonder if National grid is on those freqs. The signal was repeaterized and loud and clear. BTW the manual for the 2055 is not user friendly as far as explaining in practical terms and detail. Maybe back in 2005 fleet maps were in use so thats why I was confused trying to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.