Scanning TACN

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
I am using a TRX-1 to monitor TACN in Bradley County. I’m using the North Bradley, Oswald Dome, and Chattanooga Simulcast sites. Scannermaster.com provides a detailed review of the TRX-1, which includes the following statement:

“While the TRX scanners do not have the GPS feature like Uniden’s they do have a feature that selects the best quality control channel on networked trunked systems. This helps ensure that you lock into the closest trunking sites rather than a weaker distant one.”

My TRX-1 seems to be locking in on the first active site it finds, rather than the best signal, resulting in frequent garbled reception. Am I missing something in the settings? Is there a way to get the TRX-1 to select the best signal?

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
You're exactly right, ButchGone. I've got them programmed as conventional channels into a separate bank on the DV-1. Been monitoring and recording daily for any signs of control channel, testing or other activity. It seems like Johnson Blvd would have been an obvious site for TACN from the beginning. Local hams located their shack up there many years ago, and it was the perfect site for the old CPD 154.785 mHz and other city channles for over forty years. When I was in high school 45 years ago I would drive my Pinto up there to talk on CB.
Since it's not initially licensed as as TACN site, it will be interesting to se how long the bureaucratic conversion requires, once it's up and running.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
There was a lot of encrypted activity Tuesday on talk group 5542, BCSO SWAT. All Cleveland and Bradley County dispatches remain totally in the clear.

zachgallop

Anderson County Sheriff also uses TACN for some comms so it might be worth programing in. The low band frequency and TACN ACSO Ops. 1 is linked. Ops.2 is fully encrypted so its not really worth programing in. TWRA Region 4 hardly uses encryption unless running records checks. Its not really that active this time of the year.Dispatcher has always appeared to be in the clear. Parts of Oak Ridge in Roane County is considered District 3 which they use encryption full-time pretty much now both Dispatch and Field Units. Use to it was mainly field units now its both. BCSO has started using a lot of encryption on Dispatch too all Law Enforcement agencies in the county have since Officer Moats passing. Dispatcher remains in the clear but there can be long periods you won't hear the dispatcher because they forget to turn off the encryption after using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.