Scanning TACN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblackst

Feed Provider
I'm starting research to purchase a new scanner. I anticipate scanning TACN once Knox County makes the transition.

My current unit is a RS Pro-92 (yes, it's ancient) so I'm a little out of date on what I need to be looking for in a new scanner.

Suggestions?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The Unidens 325P2 996P2 436HP 536HP
Whistler WS1080 WS1095 WS1088 WS1098 TRX-1 TRX-2
RS PRO668
the Unidens 436 and 536 are upgradeable to DMR for a price
the Whistlers are all upgradeable to DMR FREE with the TRX-1 and TRX-2 get FREE NXDN upgrades when they come out.

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
I'm starting research to purchase a new scanner. I anticipate scanning TACN once Knox County makes the transition.

My current unit is a RS Pro-92 (yes, it's ancient) so I'm a little out of date on what I need to be looking for in a new scanner.

Suggestions?

I would go with a 436 and 536 HP or a TRX-1/TRX 2 i have a bcd436HP and a TRX1 and both radios do well on TACN and DMR

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Also if they run FDMA mainly then you can add the BCD396XT/996XT, RS PRO-96, 106, 18, PSR-500, 800, Uniden HPs.....

jblackst

Feed Provider
Thanks for the suggestions =- looks like I've got some homework and saving to do...

I was slightly wrong originally, my current unit is a Pro-95 (I must have miskeyed).

jimg

Premium Subscriber

Suggestions?

I just purchased a Whistler 1088, to replace my GRE PSR 800, and, thus far, I'm quite please with it!

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend the Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536HP. The Free DMR Whistler offers is not really free. The Whistler flagship scanners cost more than Uniden's flagship scanners even after paying for the DMR upgrade. At least with Uniden, you have a choice.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Today the price is 536 $520.00 plus $60.00 DMR upgrade = $580.00 TRX-2 $570.00 plus shipping
Today the price is 436 $470.00 plus $60.00 DMR upgrade = $530.00 TRX-1 $530.00 plus shipping
The TRX-*'s come with DMR and a free NXDN upgrade when it is released projected by years end.
The Uniden x36's are the only scanners that can track and receive PROVOICE with a $50.00 upgrade.
If you do not want or need NXDN or PROVOICE then one of the $300 to $400 scanners will work.

vontar

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, this thread helped put me in the right direction for getting THP, District 1 programmed in my New WS 1095 I just got today. not picked up them up yet, but here's hoping.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, this thread helped put me in the right direction for getting THP, District 1 programmed in my New WS 1095 I just got today. not picked up them up yet, but here's hoping.

You did enter the sites that are close to you, you can only add D1 Disp 1 and OPS1 all other D1 traffic is encrypted. You might look at TWRA
15213 3b6d D TWRA R4 DISP Region 4 Dispatch - East Tennessee *Encryption Possible*
15214 3b6e D TWRA R4 MNT Region 4 Maintenance - East Tennessee
15215 3b6f D TWRA R4 TAC1 Region 4 Law Tac 1 - East Tennessee *Encryption Possible*

vontar

Premium Subscriber
Yes, i aimed for the D1's. I am also planning to get TWRA in as well. I don't know how active THP and TWRA will be around Oak Ridge as my previous scanner could not pick them up, but so far, Don't think I have picked up THP yet. But I have ORPD, ORFD, and OR Utilities in that I want with the School buses locked out.They talk way to much.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Yes, i aimed for the D1's. I am also planning to get TWRA in as well. I don't know how active THP and TWRA will be around Oak Ridge as my previous scanner could not pick them up, but so far, Don't think I have picked up THP yet. But I have ORPD, ORFD, and OR Utilities in that I want with the School buses locked out.They talk way to much.
If you're around Oak Ridge, make sure you have the Windrock Mtn, Cross Mtn, and Roosevelt Mtn sites programmed in your scanner. Hopefully there should be one THP unit affiliated to at least one of those sites so you can hear Knoxville Dispatch. If there are no THP units affiliated to those sites, you will not hear any traffic from THP.
The Black Road and Sharp's Ridge sites would be ideal if you can receive them from your area. They should almost always have a THP unit affiliated to them.

theTastyCat

So TACN - can anybody confirm which statewide TGs are worth monitoring? There are SO many mutual aid TGs but not any info about whether they pertain to certain areas or not. Other TGs I wonder about are TEMA and DHS. Anything worth monitoring, or just tying up scan time?

I'm already monitoring THP and the HELP trucks - what else do you all monitor on TACN?

INDY72

Tema is always a plus during storms and any other disaster big or small. Good bit of interop with local fire and EMS etc.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

vontar

Premium Subscriber
If you're around Oak Ridge, make sure you have the Windrock Mtn, Cross Mtn, and Roosevelt Mtn sites programmed in your scanner. Hopefully there should be one THP unit affiliated to at least one of those sites so you can hear Knoxville Dispatch. If there are no THP units affiliated to those sites, you will not hear any traffic from THP.
The Black Road and Sharp's Ridge sites would be ideal if you can receive them from your area. They should almost always have a THP unit affiliated to them.

Thanks, I will recheck and make sure I kept all of those. I am going to setup an outside antenna in a few weeks, that is a lower priority until I finish paying for Christmas. Oak Ridge City already sounds much better then on my Pro 97. The speaker in this one is much better then my old hand held.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
So TACN - can anybody confirm which statewide TGs are worth monitoring? There are SO many mutual aid TGs but not any info about whether they pertain to certain areas or not. Other TGs I wonder about are TEMA and DHS. Anything worth monitoring, or just tying up scan time?

I'm already monitoring THP and the HELP trucks - what else do you all monitor on TACN?

On the interop MA's FD EMS and LAW divide what is listed by 3 the first 8 East Tn the second 8 Middle TN the last 8 West Tn

theTastyCat

Hey Vontar - have I seen your name before on TGO?

Buddro, I think I'm well past the point of owing you a cold one - thank you!

theTastyCat

Hey, anybody know why the THP Pursuit 1 and 2 have black x-s instead of checkboxes when trying to import with EZScan? Maybe encrypted?

INDY72

Yes. Always look at the db first. Then pick out what to listen to. That's why we made the db so its easy for all.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

vontar

Premium Subscriber
slowing but surely i am getting there. I have ORDP working exactly how I want it. I put them in Scan List 1 along with Life Star I have THP and WMA on Scan list 2. so I turn them off when I don't want them.
I have picked up THP and well they talk allot so I set it so I can turn them off when I just want to listen to local.
Not picked up TWRA yet, but maybe they aren't very active. But it is still Deer Season.

Wondering if on my first programming attempt if I added something that I did not intend. after Scan List 150 is there suppose to be Named Scan Lists already pre programmed in or do I end up adding the following.

Multi Dispatch
Law Dispatch
Fire Dispatch
EMS Dispatch
Multi Tac
Law Tac
Fire Tac
EMS Tac
etc
this continues many more down to Corrections

then starts the reserved list. Is that normal?

Trying to take it slow and get it right with no extra crap I don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.