Scantenna Install Help, Direction..

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Does it matter if it's installed with the elements up and down or side to side, My papers say up and down.. Does the direction matter one way or the other?

btritch

That's how I'd put it anyway, I was just curious if it mattered which way, LOL, I don't see how it picks up so well pointing to the sky and ground but it seems to be working well right now.. Oh and I DID WIND PROOF IT.. I had to repair my TV antenna today with zip ties, LOL

Airdorn

Check out this gorgeous install ;)

And it works wonderfully!

Attachments

• scantenna1.jpg
    scantenna1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,202

fredg

Premium Subscriber
You want "up and down" as the stuff you are listening to is broadcasting with antennas up and down or "Vertically Polarized". The TV antenna you fixed is "Horizontally Polarized" as that is how TV signals are broadcast. Here is a short blurb that will get you started, you can Google the terms below and find more info.

Antenna Polarization:

An antenna is said to be vertically polarized (linear) when its electric field is perpendicular to the Earth's surface. An example of a vertical antenna is a broadcast tower for AM radio or the "whip" antenna on an automobile.

Vertical polarization is most often used when it is desired to radiate a radio signal in all directions such as widely distributed mobile units. Vertical polarization also works well in the suburbs or out in the country, especially where hills are present. As a result, nowadays most two-way Earth to Earth communications in the frequency range above 30 MHz use vertical polarization.

Horizontally polarized (linear) antennas have their electric field parallel to the Earth's surface. Television transmissions in the USA use horizontal polarization.

Some say that horizontal polarization was originally chosen because there was an advantage to not have TV reception interfered with by vertically polarized stations such as mobile radio. Also, man made radio noise is predominantly vertically polarized and the use of horizontal polarization would provide some discrimination against interference from noise.

Last edited:

Airdorn

No I didn't. I was thinking about doing it though. Where could I get one of those fiberglass things?

btritch

Bicycle flag at wal mart does wonders...I did mine that way, Made it a whole lot stronger, We've had THUNDERSTORMS with 40MPH winds today and it's still standing.. I have found that it picks up on the low band 37-50 mhz fair, Picks up on the 150-174 band GREAT (abouit 60 miles) and decent on the 800 MHZ bands, BUT on the 400 MHZ UHF band it SUCKS! I can't hear crap hardly on the 400 mhz band. The others are hearable to great but not 400! I ended up locking it out earlier.. Just noise! I'm even hearing Missouri HP on low band on it.. GREAT...
More Later, I'd reinforce the scantenna as I could tell the difference just by hand. Let alone in the wind.. Check out the new install forum for pics..

srt1026

unfolded elements

is there a reason u didnt unfold the elements at the end of the scantenna ?

Attachments

• 2386227899_d0099e4e7d.jpg
    2386227899_d0099e4e7d.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 607

svfire1

Question:

I just got one and Im going to mount mine up on the chimney? Whats the mile range for this antenna and at what height?

Thanks.

btritch

Mine is about 50 feet up and with RG 6 coax I'm hearing 65 miles plus....Fixing to switch to LMR400 cable..But at 50 feet with RG 6 I'm getting cities/counties up to 60 and more miles away.. so I'm satisfied, but there's some feedback..

svfire1

WoW.... I hope I can get that far... Keep in mind, Im between 2 Mountains. But 50 Miles or so would work for me. Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
i just installed this antenna about two weeks ago, it went through 2 40+ mph windstorms and survived, but im curious what the reinforceiment kit is?

Status
Not open for further replies.