SCPD not working on Pro-164 anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickH

It's time to step back, take a deep breath, and answer the questions asked by Doug.

13 of the 22 freqs. are rebanded and will not work unless the custom tables have been put in. You said the custom tables are in there, but did YOU put them in using the software?

Your scanner acts exactly as if the custom tables are NOT in it.

FallenAnjel

UPDATE!

Tuesday 11-08-11:
Went into Radio Shack and dropped off scanner. (After some trepidation from the kid that works there). I wanted to take the sharpie on the counter and draw a smile on his face so he at least LOOKED happy..... So, they said I'd get a call in about a week. As I leave the store, I look at the receipt. Right smack in the middle it says, "Brand: SAMSUNG" and the ADDRESS of the service center. Good to know these morons are too dumb to look in the computer to TELL ME THIS. SMH.

(Who here knew Samsung made Radio Shack Scanners?.. I'm going to call Samsung and confirm this for future reference)

Tuesday 11-15-11
No phone call. No surprise. There is a website link to check the status of the repair. I look and there's NO INFO, so I email them.

Monday 11-21-11
No return email from six days earlier. So I check the website and it says, "Returned to Radio Shack Store 11-15-11" Gee, must have missed the phone call..... NOT. :0/

After I get the scanner back, I open the box... NO ANTENNA. Right before I went up there with it two weeks ago I said to myself, "Put the old antenna in because most likely it won't come back"... But didn't because they might use that as an excuse to say why it doesn't work. :rolleyes: So they did give me another Antenna. It's the skinny one and says, "800mhz" on it.. The scanner goes up to 1300, however, I don't ever use those freq's, does it matter?

Turned it on and it was like SWEET NOTHINGS in my ear...... The 1st precinct, the 6th Precinct, THE 7TH PRECINCT! It was like getting high after major withdrawal. (no, I"ve never done that...;-) ).

Have had it running since I got home at 3pm... lol.

DickH said:
13 of the 22 freqs. are rebanded and will not work unless the custom tables have been put in. You said the custom tables are in there, but did YOU put them in using the software?

Your scanner acts exactly as if the custom tables are NOT in it.

But it DID work, for 10 months. As a matter of fact... now that I remember, I checked the custom tables when I started having these problems, and they were already in there and I never put them in. So, is it possible they are built into the firmware upgrade? I upgraded End of November 2010.

Another thing... everything worked perfect for about 7-8 months. Then the trunking half worked, I'd get SOME channels. I'd get a LITTLE transmission. the 7th precinct would act as if it were on delay, but it wasn't. It was the ONLY ID that did this. It eventually got quieter and quieter until trunked wasn't working at all and thus my original post.

It's working PERFECT now. Just like it was when I got it. So, the custom tables MUST be in there. All the paperwork said was, "Aligned unit to maximum performance levels. Tested all functions. Thank you". I have NO IDEA what that means, and I still don't know why it wasn't trunking. There's a phone number on the paper I may call them to find out.

So, I'm back in the scanning world again. :)

FallenAnjel

Here's an update on this POC Radio Shack scanner.....

It's starting to act funny again. A few weeks ago, I noticed the display text is a little lighter than normal. I thought maybe I inadvertently hit a combination of buttons and turned it down. No big deal, I can still see it so I left it.

last night I turned it on to scan and I normally check the volume level by turning the squelch down. There was no squelch. I double checked the bank I had on, the volume, even turned it off then on again. No squelch. I had only the band on w/ the trunked system in it and pressed manual. NO CONTROL CHANNEL, then I look and NO [T]. Oh GREAT. Here we go again!

So I then put ALL THE BANDS ON to scan thru. (Bands? is that the right word? I'm talking 0-9. sorry, I forgot) It will ONLY SCAN ONE BAND, even tho all 10 are on. THAT'S a new "symptom". Well, IDK what I did, but it worked for a few minutes. then stopped again. I thought maybe it was the batteries. I use CVS Rechargeables. (Have been since January, maybe they are not totally recharging after 9 months). I plugged in the scanner and the same thing.

Since it seems to intermittent, I brought it to work with me and plugged it in there and it worked. It works now as well. Been listening for a few hours.

I bet it dies on me in the near future. :-/

mg5555

Can't get my pro-164 to trunk either

I recently found my USB data cable for my Pro-164 and decided to get it going again. Updated firmware, downloaded win97 and bought a 6 month subscription to Radio Reference. Performed a web import for Suffolk County PD and East Hampton. Conventional freqs are no problem. No trunking is happening. It did work fine before the rebranding a few years back. So am I safe to assume that the RR freqs are upto snuff? Everything seems to match.
P.S. I bought mine in Rocky Point as well.

FallenAnjel

Well, I wasn't sure weather to start a new thread or continue the saga with this scanner. It's acting up again and I took a video this time. As in other parts of this long thread, I do not have priority on, delay is on (but doesn't matter if it is or isn't). the scanner has been working perfect since RS fixed it 2 years ago I think. It's started acting up a couple months ago. it's intermittent now and mostly on the 7th precinct but did happen on the 6th tonight.

Does anyone know why my scanner does this???

Here's a link to a private YouTube video:

YouTube

N1BHH

Well, I wasn't sure weather to start a new thread or continue the saga with this scanner. It's acting up again and I took a video this time. As in other parts of this long thread, I do not have priority on, delay is on (but doesn't matter if it is or isn't). the scanner has been working perfect since RS fixed it 2 years ago I think. It's started acting up a couple months ago. it's intermittent now and mostly on the 7th precinct but did happen on the 6th tonight.

Does anyone know why my scanner does this???

Here's a link to a private YouTube video:

YouTube

Well if your video is private nobody will see it.

FallenAnjel

Well if your video is private nobody will see it.

oops!!! sorry! I thought Private meant that only those with a link will see it. well, what good is that option if even WITH the link no one can see it? If it's meant for only me, then why have a link at all? LOL

I changed the privacy--- it's "Unlisted:. Try it now. Skipping - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.