SDR Dongle Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibson

Premium Subscriber
So I recently purchased a Nooelec E4000 on Amazon and got it in the mail today. When I got it working with SDR Sharp I keep getting this on the waterfall display. I have tried everything to get rid of this. Not only is this constantly on the waterfall display wherever I frequency I go but now I can't even believe local FM stations. I receive no stations unless the transmitter is right next to the receiver antenna. I have now a strong feeling that I got a dysfunctional unit. Any ideas on what to do?

Image: Screenshot - 3d09edb56daca34f4b19a006058d3eee - Gyazo

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
No, I don't think you got a dysfunctional unit. I have a NooElec as well, and I was never able to get it to work with SDR# for crap. I think the Airspy's are more meant for SDR#.

You might want to try some other SDR software and see how that plays. I used HDSDR myself and that worked. Or try another from the list here: The BIG List of RTL-SDR Supported Software

kma371

QRT
So I recently purchased a Nooelec E4000 on Amazon and got it in the mail today. When I got it working with SDR Sharp I keep getting this on the waterfall display. I have tried everything to get rid of this. Not only is this constantly on the waterfall display wherever I frequency I go but now I can't even believe local FM stations. I receive no stations unless the transmitter is right next to the receiver antenna. I have now a strong feeling that I got a dysfunctional unit. Any ideas on what to do?

Image: Screenshot - 3d09edb56daca34f4b19a006058d3eee - Gyazo

Also might want to try lowering your bandwidth. That's way too wide.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Dealt with Nooelec many times over the years, they are top notch along with their products. What you are seeing is the "DC spike" which happens with many, but not all dongles. You can get rid of that by checking the "Correct IQ" option. That works most times.

As for not receiving any stations, you should at least be able to receive lsome ocal FM broadcast stations. A lot depends on your antenna firstly. What are you using? Also, are you adjusting the RF gain as needed? More detail is needed. Hope this helps.

Also go to https://www.rtl-sdr.com/ for tutorials.

boatbod

Curious why you chose an E4000 unit rather than an R820T2? The latter are known to work really well and of the numerous ones that I own, none have exhibited a DC spike.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
The E4000 chip dongles have an extended frequency range as opposed to the standard dongle. Range is from 55MHz - 2300 MHz vs standard dongle which covers around 25MHz - 1700 MHz. There may be a slight variation in range depending on the dongle, that's why I always purchase from Nooelec or only buy the ones with the RTL-SDR.com label. They supply documentation vs other sellers that don't.

Note that there is a gap coverage from around 1.1 - 1.2 GHz with E4000 chips, that is what is reported but I have not checked that myself.

I like the standard dongle, which covers the CB and 10m ham bands. The E4000 starts at 55 MHz.

boatbod

The E4000 chip dongles have an extended frequency range as opposed to the standard dongle. Range is from 55MHz - 2300 MHz vs standard dongle which covers around 25MHz - 1700 MHz. There may be a slight variation in range depending on the dongle, that's why I always purchase from Nooelec or only buy the ones with the RTL-SDR.com label. They supply documentation vs other sellers that don't.

Note that there is a gap coverage from around 1.1 - 1.2 GHz with E4000 chips, that is what is reported but I have not checked that myself.

I like the standard dongle, which covers the CB and 10m ham bands. The E4000 starts at 55 MHz.

Ah, that makes sense if those frequencies are important to you.

I have had some bad dongles myself, but in each case Nooelec have replaced them with no hassle. One was clearly a bad solder joint (you could wiggle it and make it work) the other was really bizarre USB behavior when it got warm.

moonbounce

One thing you didn't show was the RTL-SDR Controller, it is the cog beside the speaker, click on it, you need to check one of the boxes and set your RF Gain to around 38.6 dB. You may have already done this, it is just a thought.

MB

Status
Not open for further replies.