SDR Dongle Remote Button Thinggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7CTF

Hi, Just joined your Forum. Lot's of great stuff here for sure.

I just bought two NooElec dongles with the ant kit with remote. Got them working as a trunking receiver and they work great.. and also as a airliner position tracker. Real neat! but...

What can or could I do with the little remote units? Is there a way to hak them? reprogram them? or use them for something?.. besides removing the batteries and using them for something else.

I was going to pop one open and see what neat stuff is in there. May be a way to reprogram them into a high density multi-button MUTE switch. Man.. I go through Mute buttons! Too many commercials on TV now days. Gotta mute them all!

I did a search on this here but I may have missed the info so I built my own thread.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The "dongles" were originally marketed as digital TV receivers in Asian countries, IIRC. The remote has a purpose with that application, but I doubt it could be used with SDR functionality. Then again, we are talking about repurposing a device to do something entirely different than its intended use, so you never know...

N7CTF

The dongle must have an IR receiver to be used in some section in the architecture ...I would love to see just how...

I'll have to do some looking...

PACNWDude

SDR USB stick remote control.

I just took apart one of my USB SDR sticks and it has an IR portion for the remote control. It would be in the "air vent" looking part of the black case on mine.

May be the same on others. I did use it on digital television broadcast before using it as a radio receiver. And the remote worked fairly well, just have to aim it at the USB stick so it would go through the "air vent" slots.

Attachments

• SDR USB.jpg
    SDR USB.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 268

Voyager

The "dongles" were originally marketed as digital TV receivers in Asian countries, IIRC. The remote has a purpose with that application, but I doubt it could be used with SDR functionality. Then again, we are talking about repurposing a device to do something entirely different than its intended use, so you never know...

Some people have used the remote with the dongle as an SDR for the same purpose - to control it remotely. You should be able to Google for the details.

N7CTF

Led

Wow.. thanks guys.. and great picture too.

I did find some schematics on the dongle.. but as for the chip (s).. I'm still looking.

But then.. it boils down to the fact that I'm not a programmer. This would be a job for the writers of our software. I enjoy looking into this stuff. Lot's to learn.

Thanks a bunch.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.