SDR on Mac OS 10.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Hello,

I want to monitor P25 on a mac computer running 10.9 how can I get started?

The Mac port of GQRX works great with these cheap SDR dongles for general monitoring, but to decode P25 audio you need to run DSD+ which requires Windows. Best bet is to run Windows using either VMWare Fusion (my personal preference) or Parallels.

I haven't seen a Mac port of DSD+ so you're limited to Windows, and you'll need a computer with enough memory; running Windows and DSD+ at the same time requires some processing muscle.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
You could also use OP25, which imo is the best P25 SDR software available, especially for simulcast. However, for OP25 you should get native linux. As a long time mac-user, I would strongly urge you to find the best native operating system suitable for the software you want to use. Find a used computer for a couple hundred bucks, it doesn't have to be that expensive. You can theoretically run DSD+ or Unitrunker in parallels on OS X, but when it comes to audio decoding you will have major (i.e. HUGE) problems.

You cannot and will not find one operating system that will run all the various SDR/DSD programs that you may want to use. There are some amazing programs that only run on windows (like Unitrunker, DSD+, or SDR Sharp). There are other programs which can only run on Linux (i.e. OP25). Expand your horizons...

Status
Not open for further replies.