SDRplay and Studio1 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonohudson

We are delighted to have reached an agreement to acquire Studio1. Studio1 is the perfect complement to our SDR hardware products and gives us the ideal platform to deliver a complete class leading SDR solution for our customers. We look forward to working with Sandro and further developing Studio1 to unlock the full capability of our current and future products - Studio1 has established a strong customer base - we look forward to further developing Studio1 to specifically benefit present and future owners of our products :) The official press release can be found on http://www.sdrplay.com/SDRplay&Studio1.pdf

br0adband

Already had a thread about 2 hours before you posted this one so, might ask an Admin/Mod to merge the threads (but that'll probably happen regardless).

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
As I mentioned at the SDRPlay forums, it is an absolute MUST that this be developed not only for HF use as seems to be the case with just about all SDR software, but also for VHF and above. I know things take time but quite frankly I believe it needs to be on a par with what SDR# and its associated plug-ins have to offer to include but not be limited to CTCSS/DCS identification and decoding, fast scanning, output for DSD+ via a 2nd audio channel piped to VBAudio Cable or equivalent, etc.

I'm not trying to turn this into another "us vs. them" thread but given the full coverage of the SDRPlay and the to-date lack of decent VHF and above software (with the exception of SDR# 1361 which I still use with it), it needs to be addressed. The only "above HF" indication I see with Studio 1 at this time is on broadcast FM.

Boatanchor

As I mentioned at the SDRPlay forums, it is an absolute MUST that this be developed not only for HF use as seems to be the case with just about all SDR software, but also for VHF and above. I know things take time but quite frankly I believe it needs to be on a par with what SDR# and its associated plug-ins have to offer to include but not be limited to CTCSS/DCS identification and decoding, fast scanning, output for DSD+ via a 2nd audio channel piped to VBAudio Cable or equivalent, etc.

I'm not trying to turn this into another "us vs. them" thread but given the full coverage of the SDRPlay and the to-date lack of decent VHF and above software (with the exception of SDR# 1361 which I still use with it), it needs to be addressed. The only "above HF" indication I see with Studio 1 at this time is on broadcast FM.

^^^ Definitely agree with this ^^^

Seems most (all?) SDR software platforms are only concerned with HF use, yet in reality, that bottom 30Mhz is a tiny sliver of spectrum within the total bandwidth of these devices.

I realize it is hard to produce a software package that ticks all the boxes for everyone, but really, scanning should be available in every SDR software platform nowadays.

As someone who owns an Airspy, as well as the 'Play', and has run Vasilli's plugins on SDR#, I can tell you that what can be achieved with these devices is just amazing.

Being able to fast scan across a 100Mhz chunk of bandwidth in 12.5Khz steps, in three or four seconds, or scanning the entire 108-136Mhz Air band channels in 1-2 seconds, is truly amazing. This is just a little of what SDRplay owners are currently missing out on.

SDRPlay needs to find a way to provide similar V/UHF functionality to Airspy ASAP.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
^^^ Definitely agree with this ^^^

Seems most (all?) SDR software platforms are only concerned with HF use, yet in reality, that bottom 30Mhz is a tiny sliver of spectrum within the total bandwidth of these devices.

I realize it is hard to produce a software package that ticks all the boxes for everyone, but really, scanning should be available in every SDR software platform nowadays.

As someone who owns an Airspy, as well as the 'Play', and has run Vasilli's plugins on SDR#, I can tell you that what can be achieved with these devices is just amazing.

Being able to fast scan across a 100Mhz chunk of bandwidth in 12.5Khz steps, in three or four seconds, or scanning the entire 108-136Mhz Air band channels in 1-2 seconds, is truly amazing. This is just a little of what SDRplay owners are currently missing out on.

SDRPlay needs to find a way to provide similar V/UHF functionality to Airspy ASAP.

Evidently they are marketing to a VERY, VERY, VERY narrow segment of SDR users. Apparently they have no interest in developing a super-high-quality product for VHF, UHF or 700/800/900 scanning, not to mention P-25, P-25 LSM simulcast, DMR, ADS-B et al. Ironically, although their web site bashes "freeware" SDR programs, it deceptively fails to mention studio1 does not include 95% of the features those other "freeware" programs support.

The FAQ section re: comparison to other SDR programs begins with "we hate making comparisons", and goes on to make vague and obscure statements about "receiving performance" and efficient use of CPU resources. They really ought to update the Studio1 website and change "SDR Programs" to "HF SDR Programs".

jonohudson

SDRuno - new feature requests

Thanks for all the suggestions for SDRuno: We are aware of a number of issues, bugs and feature requests. We will be addressing these in a series of updates. Some of the feature requests will take some time as we are determined to implement them correctly and make them intuitive. With that in mind, SDRuno version 1.1 will be released around the end of August and will consist largely of bug fixes. We expect to make further regular updates after that to address some of the other issues and features we've all seen and been thought about. We are also going to be producing some webinars with the aim of not only getting people familiar with SDRuno, but to help people achieve specific tasks. We will be providing more details about these in the next couple of days.

Re other software updates: Our immediate priority is to release the new API and EXTIO so that we can deliver the recent enhancements (VLF coverage, performance improvements, higher sample rate and improvements for developers, etc.) to users of the other popular software: SDR Console (working with Simon Brown) and HDSDR (via our updated EXTIO interface) We aim to have the release of both of these during the first week of July. We will then produce an update to the SoapySDRPlay library to support CubicSDR (Charles Cliffe).

Meanwhile Paul and Mike have made a major update to the SDRuno Cookbook, which now includes setup for CSVUserlistbrowser, a great database setup that allows for rudimentary scanning... V1.003 now runs to 28 pages http://www.nn4f.com/sdruno-cookbook.pdf

73 Jon G4ABQ

Status
Not open for further replies.