SDRSharp breaking support of SDRplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

From SDRPlay.com blog dated 9/26 -

"We are getting close to releasing the new plugin for the latest and greatest version of SDR# (EXTIO files no longer work) and that has further swamped our technical folks - we are very close to a release, as is Simon Brown with the much longed for SDR-Console update which removes the known bugs mentioned previously here and elsewhere. I know we keep saying any day now, but we are very close".

D

DaveNF2G

Some might be more open in expressing their views and experiences than others, but many have noted that Youssef does not play well with others.

WyoDuner

Yep, that one will work. Bear in mind that the plugins that were developed buy the Russian developer (forget who, easy to look up) are now converted to .NET4.6 and won't work with the older SDR# linked above.... Hmmm......

Personally, I am absolutely pleased with my SDRplay on anything from HF up to UHF and wrote my remarks in another post in this section so I won't rehash all that. What I will say is unless you absolutely need the plugins that SDR# have (many which don't work now due to .NET 4.6) then why not use either HDSDR or SDR Console - both of which work great. SDR Console has a few bugs with SDRplay but they are being worked out and SDR Console has a LOT of really nice features. HDSDR just plain works and works well.

wd9ewk

Personally, I am absolutely pleased with my SDRplay on anything from HF up to UHF and wrote my remarks in another post in this section so I won't rehash all that. What I will say is unless you absolutely need the plugins that SDR# have (many which don't work now due to .NET 4.6) then why not use either HDSDR or SDR Console - both of which work great. SDR Console has a few bugs with SDRplay but they are being worked out and SDR Console has a LOT of really nice features. HDSDR just plain works and works well.

I'll second this opinion. The SDRplay works well, and I have been using it for the past month as my downlink receiver for working amateur satellites with HDSDR. I have also used the SDRplay and HDSDR to hear other signals, from MF up through VHF and UHF. I am still impressed with this receiver, and will be happy to use HDSDR with it.

Something that caught my eye on the SDRplay community forum over the weekend is a couple of posts related to one of the last versions of SDR# source code that had been available online last year. This is the first of the two posts:

http://sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1072#p1010

I don't know Bob N3OEA, and only know what I've read online about the previous availability of SDR# source code. He later posted that he was able to make SDR# using .NET 4.6, and include support of ExtIO DLLs - something that Airspy removed from the latest versions. A screenshot in his later post in this thread appears to show the SDRplay ExtIO DLL as the radio being used, along with a comment about how much of the source code is open source. If the code can be cleaned of anything that isn't open source, it could be forked and continue down a different path than what the SDR#/Airspy guys want to do with SDR#.

BTW what happened to the SDR#/Airspy forum on that web site? It disappeared over the weekend.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Arrgh, so that's the thing...I am using Ian's Frequency Scanner plugin with the current version of SDR#, which is awesome. I wanted to use this with SDRplay. It sounds like the current version of Ian's plugin has advanced past the SDR# version that still works with SDRplay.

(I've used HDSDR for a long time, and plan to try SDR-Console, but just for HF.)

Flatliner

Something that caught my eye on the SDRplay community forum over the weekend is a couple of posts related to one of the last versions of SDR# source code that had been available online last year. This is the first of the two posts:

SDR# End of support of the ExtIO interface? - Page 2 - SDRplay Community Forum

I don't know Bob N3OEA, and only know what I've read online about the previous availability of SDR# source code. He later posted that he was able to make SDR# using .NET 4.6, and include support of ExtIO DLLs - something that Airspy removed from the latest versions. A screenshot in his later post in this thread appears to show the SDRplay ExtIO DLL as the radio being used, along with a comment about how much of the source code is open source. If the code can be cleaned of anything that isn't open source, it could be forked and continue down a different path than what the SDR#/Airspy guys want to do with SDR#.

BTW what happened to the SDR#/Airspy forum on that web site? It disappeared over the weekend.

Going back quite some time ago, there was a poster on the official SDR# Yahoo group who pointed out that the core code of SDR# was in fact open source, and was borrowed from that another program. The poster was quickly removed from the group. I was also expelled from the group eventually.

wd9ewk

Going back quite some time ago, there was a poster on the official SDR# Yahoo group who pointed out that the core code of SDR# was in fact open source, and was borrowed from that another program. The poster was quickly removed from the group. I was also expelled from the group eventually.

That's in line with what I saw on the SDRplay forum - a reference to the SDRSharp.Radio.dll having code from other projects, including the open source PortAudio API library as one example.

http://sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1072#p1071

Oh well... I'm not going to buy that $200 RTL dongle to run SDR# with it, even with the improvements recently announced for the new version. The SDRplay works well, and no HF upconverter is required. If SDR# and SDRplay can work together with a newer version of the SDR# software - great! If what was posted in the SDRplay forum is true, and someone (or a group) can make an open source variant of SDR#, I'll probably give that a try as well. Meanwhile, I am happily using my receivers with HDSDR on Windows tablets, HDSDR or SDR-Console on more powerful Windows systems, and I need to try my SDRplay on my Linux box - something that has taken a back seat to using the Windows tablets lately...

sm7etw

Hi Scott

I need SDR# ver 1361 unable to pm you.
Please drop me an email.

73 Jan SM7ETW

Macintrasher

Here to help!

For those of you who still want to use an older version of SDR# with everything you need to get it working, I've compiled a folder on Dropbox with everything you need, including a text file explaining how to install everything.

*note* This is for a Windows install using a ZIP file with everything you should need that you can extract. It is NOT an installer/self-extractor! If you encounter any problems I'm not gonna help you; you'll have to do a Google search. I've included a step-by-step text file. It's as straight forward of an install as it gets.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ugxqav0epfo641j/AAAhRI7rkAAX3gclW8shbX2-a?dl=0

If it doesn't work, just try again later. It's a free account so uploads are limited.

Macintrasher

Just wanted to mention...

Forgot to say, but the version of SDR# in the folder is 1491. Just so you know before downloading. Since the maker uploads updates almost every day you can pinpoint what works up to that version and what'll be borked up to the latest version.

Macintrasher

Last version of SDRSharp that works with RSP is 1361.
It's later than that. The version I supplied in Dropbox is 1491 and it works fine. The last version to work, if I recall correctly, was in the 1500 range, but I couldn't tell you which one specifically, and I'm not taking my time reading through the massive change log detailing when it was switched over to .NET 4.6.

D

DaveNF2G

Switch to NET 4.6 was in version 1362 on 9/14/2015

Which is one of the reasons version 1361 was the last to work natively with anything other than an Airspy. For any other receiver, one must have a suitable EXTIO library. As others have pointed out, even that does not guarantee seamless operation of a non-Airspy SDR with later versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.