sdrsharp settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
I am using sdrshap with the nooelec r820t sdr mini 2 usb dongle. I am trying to get the settings right to listen to 141.555 nfm in Ontario near barrie which is fleetnet zone 1. There are some ems comms that are not scrambled by p25. Is there anyone else out there in listening range that could post a picture of the various settings they use to monitor signals using nfm in the range of 140.00 to 143.00 Mhz range. Thank you Russ ve3ell

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
I am using sdrshap with the nooelec r820t sdr mini 2 usb dongle.
Remember to tune in your offset as the SDR warms up.

Find a broadcast station and slide it around till the audio sounds good. From there you may still need to adjust it from time to time.

This is why I stopped using the USB SDR's .. too much hassle to keep it in tune especially when mobile.

Good luck.

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info. I bought the sdr dongle just to experiment with and didn't expect much from it as it only cost $19.00. I use a discone antenna for rx. thx Russ ve3ell

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Remember to tune in your offset as the SDR warms up.
This is why I stopped using the USB SDR's ... too much hassle to keep it in tune especially when mobile.

Purchased in December 2015, both my 1.0 ppm RTL-SDR and 0.5 ppm NooElec stay within about 0.3 ppm once warm, and aren't more than 1.7 ppm off when cold. Diff between cold and hot is no more than 1.0 ppm. So, it's just a matter of calibrating them once and you know what adjustment values to put into whatever software you use. You either use the "warm" adjustment value and always wait a few minutes for them to warm up, or use an adjustment value somewhere between warm and cold and live with a relatively small error. At VHF, it's likely unnoticeable. Unfortunately, the current version of SDR# (1.0.0.1444) doesn't remember different adjustments for different dongles, nor does it support fractional PPM values, but it's been suggested: https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SDRSharp/conversations/topics/19397

Voyager

I write the calibration values on the USB connector in a sharpie. It's not permanent on the metal, but it is not easily rubbed off either.

Status
Not open for further replies.