SDS-100 in Los Angeles area

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
HRO Anaheim finally received several SDS-100s earlier today. I picked mine up about 4 PM (Weds).
First thing I did while at HRO was open box, inspect scanner, put on the rubber duck, and make sure no obvious damage or antenna connector problems. All OK, so took unit home.
To update Sentinel to 2.02, update 100 firmware, update database, and set up FLs on 100 exactly as on 436HP took maybe 15 mins. No problem. Of course, have this profile set to SDS-100, with back light on infinite even with battery, but dimmer set at 30%. All works fine, with no display problems what-so-ever.
Been scanning common sites here in LA/OC including LAPD, LA Sheriff, LA Cities, LA Co and City Fire, CHP, Civil Air, LA ICIS P25 sites, and OC CCCS. Have tons of other stuff programmed, but can only do so much in a few hours to start.
I like the light weight of scanner and of course, the display, is great. Have only used simple display at this point. LAPD P25 sounds very good, but really, just about same as the 436 (have not yet done any side-to-side comparisons). LA-ICIS P25 Pasadena and Glendale site also sound good, but again, not much different from 436. Low VHF analog OK but nothing special. I can hear Ventura County VHF on 436HP with radio shack center-coil antenna, but not using 100 tonight. VHF civil air OK, but my 436 seems better. UHF air seems better than VHF air (no military yet).
I have some rather difficult P25 stations on OC CCCS with P25 even after adjusting P25 settings, Have not tried SDS-100 yet on these; will compare in next couple of days. Also some systems like LA-STRS that I can't receive well with x36HPs. Will try on SDS-100 in next few days. These "difficult P25 channels" are academic in the sense that I want to compare scanners, but I don't really monitor them.
The SDS-100 is great in terms of display. I know that the SDS-100 is a game changer in many areas of the country with true simulcast systems. We don't really have those here in LA/Orange County. I really need a lot more time to play with the SDS and compare it directly with the 436 in head-to-head comparisons. Probably will do this weekend.
Frankly, my first impressions are that the SDS-100 is a good scanner with a beautiful display, but for those in my area who already use the 436/536 scanners, it probably will not be a real "game changer" in terms of RF performance. The SDS-100 will obviously shine more for those with true LSM simulcast issues. I'm looking forward to further reviews from other scanner colleagues here in the LA/OC area. Thanks to Uniden and Paul for this first SDR scanner.

Eng74

I was just on HRO page and saw that they had them at the Anahiem store. I will be headed there Thursday to pick one up. Have you tried it on any of SBCo trunk system or their new P25 system?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I should add that the SDS-100 will probably be my main travel scanner for when I do encounter simulcast systems. Also, will add DMR and NXDN in next day or two and give my opinions. We have tons of DMR and NXDN in the Los Angeles area. In fact, I monitor more DMR and NXDN now than I do P25. Also, quite of P25 phase 2, which I have not even had a chance to listen to yet.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I was just on HRO page and saw that they had them at the Anahiem store. I will be headed there Thursday to pick one up. Have you tried it on any of SBCo trunk system or their new P25 system?

No, have not listened to any SBCo yet. Will be very interested in your review Eng74.

Eng74

We are lucky compared to a lot of other places in the country with the system's we have here in California. In a few months I will use it in Northern Cal on Santa Clara's P25 phase 2 system and EBRCS.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I was in Santa Mateo couple of weekends ago for 3 days. Using zipcode only, I don't recall my scanner ever stopping on SC P25 phase 2 system. Heard some EBRCS, but not great. Had 436HP in hotel room on 4th floor in Burlingame. Will be interested in how SDS-100 does up there. I get up there fairly often.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Second impression. Been comparing SDS-100 directly with BCD436HP indoors both using Radio Shack extendable coil antennas, then RS-800 antennas. SDS-100 definitely picking up more LAPD and LA-ICIS indoors. Also doing great on So Cal Gas P25 phase 2 system.
I switched to detailed display. All the info is really great. Also, just comparing the color display with the 436HP display; no need to comment. This new SDS-100 scanner is really impressive. Hands down my new favorite scanner. Great job Uniden.
BTW: No problems with images, display, or anything else.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Second impression. Been comparing SDS-100 directly with BCD436HP indoors both using Radio Shack extendable coil antennas, then RS-800 antennas. SDS-100 definitely picking up more LAPD and LA-ICIS indoors. Also doing great on So Cal Gas P25 phase 2 system.
I switched to detailed display. All the info is really great. Also, just comparing the color display with the 436HP display; no need to comment. This new SDS-100 scanner is really impressive. Hands down my new favorite scanner. Great job Uniden.
BTW: No problems with images, display, or anything else.

Thanks for the update. Also, just a quick note that I believe you meant to say "Socal Edison" which is on 900 mhz Phase 2 instead of SoCalGas Company.

The Gas company is on DMR now.

Last edited:

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info Steve. I am getting one for Father's Day. Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JohnOldridge

In Los Angeles / San Gabriel Valley Area

Hello. I too have received and been using the new Uniden SDS100 scanner. Great scanner so far hands down. I will be purchasing the NXDN & DMR additions ONLY IF I find a need for them in my general area of Pasadena, California. No issues with Sentinel. No issues with anything, accept for maybe once in a while, the screen does flicker and doesn't always come on when their is a transmission. Or it comes on and then goes black immediately. I'm approximately 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles and all their channels come in loud and clear. Will be attempting to monitor Orange County and San Bernardino County today. If any local fellow scanner enthusiasts are near me, the Pasadena/Arcadia/Monrovia areas, please let me know if adding NXDN and/or DMR or ProVoice is worth the additional cost and listening time. I'm not into listening to News Vans or Railroads. My interests are strictly, Police, Fire and Aviation of any type, especially Military.

Thank you Uniden for a Top-Notch product. Looking forward to the Base version of this new scanner.

-John-

allend

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I too have received and been using the new Uniden SDS100 scanner. Great scanner so far hands down. I will be purchasing the NXDN & DMR additions ONLY IF I find a need for them in my general area of Pasadena, California. No issues with Sentinel. No issues with anything, accept for maybe once in a while, the screen does flicker and doesn't always come on when their is a transmission. Or it comes on and then goes black immediately. I'm approximately 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles and all their channels come in loud and clear. Will be attempting to monitor Orange County and San Bernardino County today. If any local fellow scanner enthusiasts are near me, the Pasadena/Arcadia/Monrovia areas, please let me know if adding NXDN and/or DMR or ProVoice is worth the additional cost and listening time. I'm not into listening to News Vans or Railroads. My interests are strictly, Police, Fire and Aviation of any type, especially Military.

Thank you Uniden for a Top-Notch product. Looking forward to the Base version of this new scanner.

-John-

John: ProVoice is an absolute NO for LA Area. No ProVoice in the area. If your main interest are Police, Fire and Aviation then I would say no to NXDN and DMR

The majority of News and News-Vans are on VHF and UHF except for KABC Channel 7 which is on NXDN which is kind of nice sometimes. The majority of Rail is on Analog VHF. The only Rail which is on NXDN in LA is The MTA

Hopefully this helps making any decisions on purchasing any upgrades.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
LA STRS P25 Trunking system of Los Angeles City talk groups is hardly interesting from a monitoring standpoint. However, it has always been my "bellwether" system that I have never been able to monitor at all, or very well, on any scanner, including very poor P25 decoding with 436HP and 536HP. I was waiting for SDS-100 to see what would happen.
Excellent P25 decode of this system with really crisp audio. Now I want an SD-200 or whatever the mobile/base version of this scanner will be (if Uniden makes one, they will sell).

Last edited:

Eng74

Well that didn’t take long to drop $700. Lol. They have 2 left on the shelf if you want one. Got it plugged into my 110 outlet in my F-150 to charge it up. Now go get to some free WiFi to update it and try this out.

allend

Premium Subscriber
LA STRS P25 Trunking system of Los Angeles City talk groups is hardly interesting from a monitoring standpoint. However, it has always been my "bellwether" system that I have never been able to monitor at all, or very well, on any scanner, including very poor P25 decoding with 436HP and 536HP. I was waiting for SDS-100 to see what would happen.
Excellent P25 decode of this system with really crisp audio. Now I want an SD-200 or whatever the mobile/base version of this scanner will be (if Uniden makes one, they will sell).

I would imagine there is no way of using the rubber ducky antenna to pull in the LA STRS system since they are using lower power sites in LA.

What roof mount base antenna are you using to pull in these long range systems?

JohnOldridge

In Los Angeles / San Gabriel Valley Area

Thanks Allend. That is exactly what I was looking for. I knew I could get a dependable response thru this platform. Appreciate it....

-John-

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Anyone with further comments on SDS-100 in LA/So Cal area. Been listening to NXDN/DMR conventional channels, and frankly, I am less than impressed with the performance of the SDS-100 with a portable antenna. 436HP seems to pick up and decode weaker signals. Fine with base antenna at home, but compared to 436HP, misses quite a bit when walking around neighborhood.
I

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you running the beta firmware update? It makes a big difference in weak signal reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.