SDS 100: Inferior Design, Materials and Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
But definitely not “waterproof”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup the watch is impervious to water infiltration - until 100 meters. Like submarines, they do have a limit.

Here's the standards, for reference:

Japan Industrial Standards (JIS)

The JIS scale measures water resistance with levels ranging from 0-8.

JIS-0 - No special protection
JIS-1 - Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 1)
JIS-2 - Dripping water at an angle up to 15 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 2)
JIS-3 - Falling rain at an angle up to 60 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Rain resistant)
JIS-4 - Splashing water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Splash resistant)
JIS-5 - Direct jetting water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Jet resistant)
JIS-6 - Direct jetting water from any direction shall not enter the enclosure (Water tight)
JIS-7 - Water shall not enter the enclosure when it is immersed in water under defined conditions (Immersion resistant)
JIS-8 - The equipment is usable for continuous submersion in water under specified pressure (Submersible)

scannersnstuff

If Whistler plans to have their radio out in the next six months, they're well past the point of being able to make any significant design adjustment's.

Yes - My thought's too.

I would just like to see a scanner that cost's that much, be on a par with my bcd325p2, as far as vhf/uhf reception.

It's kind of a shame, because I don't see Uniden releasing a new and improved sds100, anytime soon.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Whistler has likely been watching the SDS100 unfold for many months now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I need good simulcast single site multiple Tower 700 megahertz P2 performance and I still have many missed Transmissions. You don't need to bother telling me how great yours works I know it's my location in the heavy LSM Northeast. The nxnd works well for me however.

No doubt Whistler is seeing the multiple problems and poor quality control with the SDS 100. This is not a debate about how well yours works and how it's the best scanner in the world. The large number of people with problems speaks for itself. The excuse of this comes with the territory and is to be expected is complete nonsense at these prices.

So here's my prediction... Whistler will use the same model that stems all the way back to the GRE radios. The display will be the same as it is now. Gre's never worked on P2 in my area. Also the nxnd did not work at all with many missed Transmissions, don't think that's going to change. Whistler has delayed the release of their new radios I'm sure because they don't work. Don't expect much with these new Whistler radios. I've learned my lesson and will not buy one unless it turns out within six months of release to work. Of course, neither brand will work as well as the two professional alternatives.

As far as the SDS 100 goes I think they've reached the max here. This is what we got. The fact that the latest beta firmware has been beta and not released to the public for such a long time speaks for itself.

I guess my point is don't expect too much from Whistler with these new radios, buyers beware and learn a lesson here. I think the SDS 100 with all of its problems is going to be... As Good As It Gets with a commercial scanner that is not a professional radio.

Flame away if you want, it's okay, I won't pay attention anyway. LOL

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I see a vocal minority having issues with P25 simulcast operations with the SDS100, usually in high noise environments. Satisfied users don't normally post, and adding those satisfied users who do post implies that the majority are achieving adequate results. Perhaps a poll could be taken.

Where I see the problems are with substandard VHF/UHF performance, although it doesn't affect me so much. This is disappointing because everybody wants a single radio solution, but it seems that dream isn't achievable atm. The *solution* right now is to buy a professional grade radio like a G4/G5 for the troublesome systems, and a 436 to cover the rest of the spectrum.

** Note that my (now sold) 436 and HP2 did not work well with the P25P2 system I monitor. The GRE PSR800 / WS1080 is absolutely horrible on the P2 system. The 536 works adequately, and the SDS100 and G5 are superb. I use stock antennas, except for the SDS100 where I use a Remtronics 700/800.

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

I know this is not a beat Whistler up forum. I would like to see their new handheld offering,not be based on that sticky,gooey rubberized case. I have an old psr-700, and it's a sticky mess. I didn't really like it anyway.

When I took my bcd325p2 to where I'm moving <Hernando Fla.> it worked well on their 800 simulcast system.

mitbr

"The *solution* right now is to buy a professional grade radio like a G4/G5 for the troublesome systems, and a 436 to cover the rest of the spectrum."

This is what most folks who are experienced public service listeners should be doing.Maybe we expect too much from these devices at the given price point for everything to be in one radio.This is what I have done. I love my Uniden scanners I have and the G5 fills the gap for difficult P25 systems.
Tim

mule1075

Feed Provider
"The *solution* right now is to buy a professional grade radio like a G4/G5 for the troublesome systems, and a 436 to cover the rest of the spectrum."

This is what most folks who are experienced public service listeners should be doing.Maybe we expect too much from these devices at the given price point for everything to be in one radio.This is what I have done. I love my Uniden scanners I have and the G5 fills the gap for difficult P25 systems.
Tim
That is only a good solution if you can afford to shell out the cash for two radios.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
That is only a good solution if you can afford to shell out the cash for two radios.

True, but it *seems* that the more hardcore user base own multiple radios - thus it's likely they can afford it.

I'm looking at a 8 Mhz chunk of spectrum centered around 774.0000, and the noise floor is well below the signal strength of the TRS I'm monitoring (by about 25dB.) Some adjacent channels from neighboring jurisdictions are peaking about 15-20dBs below my local system, so it looks like I'm in a good area for the SDS100, and my experience with the radio bears this out. Maybe prospective owners should buy a $30 SDR dongle and use SDR# to map out the spectrum in their area before dropping the big bucks for the SDS (or buy from a vendor who accepts returns.)

bob550

Premium Subscriber

Tim

You can't play 18 holes of golf very well using only a 5-iron. Maybe the same is now true of the radio monitoring hobby. Given the wide variation of technology in use to transmit voice, it's not surprising that one scanner/receiver can't do it all.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
True, but it *seems* that the more hardcore user base own multiple radios - thus it's likely they can afford it.

I don't believe most users are "hardcore." The fanaticism for scanning indicated in this forum is not indicative of most users. I think most simply want to hear their local fire and police and don't care about what Walmart uses or their neighbor's baby monitor. If they could still get away with a crystal-controlled scanner, they would do so, and furthermore, they may not even turn it on unless they hear a siren in the neighborhood.

They will buy the minimum of what it takes to hear what they want to hear

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe most users are "hardcore." The fanaticism for scanning indicated in this forum is not indicative of most users. I think most simply want to hear their local fire and police and don't care about what Walmart uses or their neighbor's baby monitor. If they could still get away with a crystal-controlled scanner, they would do so, and furthermore, they may not even turn it on unless they hear a siren in the neighborhood.

They will buy the minimum of what it takes to hear what they want to hear

Right, so if they "simply want to hear their local fire and police," they will likely only need one radio - whatever the type that works best for their needs. The more *harcore* users probably have the motivation to buy the gear they need.

Ubbe

Remember that the systems users Motorola radios doesn't work 100% of the time. In an extreme case a tower in front of you and another in the opposite direction could have their radiosignal meet at your antenna with the exact same signal strenght and if they where in opposite phase they would totally cancel each other out. If there's no signal to receive it doesn't matter what radio you have. There is the law of physics to consider as well and there's no scanner or radio who magicly can pull out signals from a source that are trashed beyond any point of restoration. You still need to use directional antennas and other solutions to give a scanner a fair chance to work with the signal.

/Ubbe

maus92

Premium Subscriber
[emoji23] No, they come here to do their bashing, hoping to drum up some converts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus their associated forums are rather dull and underused, so they come over to the Uniden forums to troll and otherwise entertain themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.