SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

m42duster

Yes, exactly how mine sounds. Is why I'm waiting for the reported fix before initiating an return. Only have a 30 day return window and it's quickly ticking down.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
That is the character of the noise(s) I hear on mine, but not that loud of course. A constant sidetone, with some modulation that is in sync with changes being written to the display screen.

Last edited:

KN4C

No hum with my unit and it can be purchased in the classifieds. I have tried it out and it is a great radio.

edweirdFL

That video does contain a good sampling of the sounds I hear coming from my SDS200. For those lucky enough not have heard it coming from their unit but are curious as to what it sounds like, watch this video and listen at the time stamps indicated.

A constant buzz or hum along with some pulsing chuffing sounds from time to time are recorded.

allend

Premium Subscriber
That video does contain a good sampling of the sounds I hear coming from my SDS200. For those lucky enough not have heard it coming from their unit but are curious as to what it sounds like, watch this video and listen at the time stamps indicated.

A constant buzz or hum along with some pulsing chuffing sounds from time to time are recorded.

I can honestly do not believe that some people are having and some are not. All of these radios are made exactly the same on the firing line with all of the same specs and parts. The people that are not saying that they do not have the problem I beg to differ. The people that are not having need to hook up an external speaker like this guy did in the video and then film it on Youtube for proof at this point. The external speaker port is jacked with this humming and pulsing noise. It was vague on the 536 but still was there and its worse and the video proves it. Uniden needs to get this fix out there soon. If it does not fix the issue which it won't then all of these radios need to be returned to their respected sellers account.

m42duster

I agree, the noise can blend right in with ambient noise in your shack. If you shut everything off in the room, I'd lay odds you'll hear it. I didn't at first. It's obvious, though, that certain batches are probably unaffected. I would like to know if it's a QC or faulty component. Definitely has me curious.

I watched another YouTube video presentation, no comments mentioned it, but it could be heard in the background.

Wonder if future builds will advertise the fact if it's been factory updated?

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Listen in at 9 minutes and 30 seconds. This guy is reviewing the SDS-200 radio and plugged in an external speaker. Nasty Nasty Nasty noise

13 minutes into the video it is horrible. The writing is all over the wall. This is exactly what I was hearing from the beginning.

I actually watched that video when he did that live, and it was awful, you’ll hear him referring to people asking him about the noise, I kept saying, what’s the exact noise i had on the 2 units i tried!!

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

allend

Premium Subscriber
I actually watched that video when he did that live, and it was awful, you’ll hear him referring to people asking him about the noise, I kept saying, what’s the exact noise i had on the 2 units i tried!!

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

Yes and he was doing a live video so he had no idea that this issue even was a big issue. He just hooked up everything and plugged in the external speaker so everybody live could hear some good audio and boom even people posted replies on the YouTube video on what that horrible noise is. So for anybody to keep trolling this thread and say the radio is not doing it needs to put their ears on or turn up their hearing aids. The numbers are speaking volumes now and this video proves that Uniden has big problems with their hardware.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Yes and he was doing a live video so he had no idea that this issue even was a big issue. He just hooked up everything and plugged in the external speaker so everybody live could hear some good audio and boom even people posted replies on the YouTube video on what that horrible noise is. So for anybody to keep trolling this thread and say the radio is not doing it needs to put their ears on or turn up their hearing aids. The numbers are speaking volumes now and this video proves that Uniden has big problems with their hardware.
The guy doing the video I am almost sure is w2lie for his scanner school series on YouTube. He is very well aware of the issue and active on the forums.

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I have the noise but it doesn't bother me at all and I voted that way. I actually find it mildly funny when it is starting up and I can clearly hear the sounds of a computer booting up through the external speaker. Once scanning, the noise is what sounds to me like a computer-generated, mild white noise.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I can honestly do not believe that some people are having and some are not...The people that are not saying that they do not have the problem I beg to differ.
You are free to not believe what people post. You are also free to differ with their statements.

You are not free to call people liars, trolls, or generally call them out for what they say. And, when I use the pronoun "you", I mean all of you.

torishu

I've heard three of these units now, all with hum. When I mentioned that I could hear the hum on one of them, the owner got angry at me and insisted there was no hum and that his was perfect. I left it at that.

I figure there must be some units without the hum since there are enough reports of such and you would think some of the retailers who say their sample units have no hum would know what they're talking about.

I also really wonder, though, if some people just can't hear it for whatever reason and consider their units hum-free. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, there are people who can't hear the hum on my own unit, which definitely has the hum. I've "auditioned" it for multiple people and it seems about half-and-half.

I wonder with all the electronic components and fans and such that we surround ourselves with these days, some listeners are able to simply ignore it as "white noise," not even considering it out of the ordinary. Bless them, if so, because I feel downright OCD and a little embarrassed for not being able to ignore it. I haven't turned the scanner on in almost two weeks now (since the "auditions") because of it.

All that being said, I hope the solution Uniden is working on solves the issue and really is feasible for us to carry out ourselves. I'm getting closer and closer to my return window closing and I'm trying to hold out but I'd be kidding myself if I said it didn't cause me more than a bit of anxiety for the price.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
In recent years, I owned an AOR AR-DV1 SDR Receiver. The receiver was state of the art and defined as a Software Defined Receiver.

In the off mode, the receiver was (of course) dead silent. Turning on the receiver you can noticeably hear a whirling sound which by no means was overwhelming. AOR explained that the sound is normal coming from a SDR receiver, and caused by the technology. The slight whirling I experience with my two SDS200's is similar and by no way or means overwhelming, hardly noticeable and doesn't distract from the operation of the receiver. I purchased my units early and received two from the original shipment, if that has anything to do with it. I'm completely satisfied and pleased to this point with my purchase.

Those of you that are experiencing a humming noise, I'm sure Uniden will react and correct the situation.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have turned everything off in my shack except my SDS200 and put it up to my ear and I hear no hum, buzz, vibration, anything. This is with variation in volume, and also volume turned all the way off. internal speaker and external speaker. Some people have it and some people don't and some people need to accept that. Believe me, if my unit made noise I would be down at the Post Office returning it in a heartbeat. Mine sounds so good I am not using external speaker. By the looks of the poll, no hum seems to be the majority. It is what it is and I am sure Uniden will make it right.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.