SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I personally would send it back for an exchange and try another, because not all of them do it apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tkowalik

Banned
Out of the box, the rear jack was unusable. After I moved the plate, it is tolerable but still not right.

I'm debating sending it back because it wasn't the seller's fault. I, personally, would rather work with Uniden to try to figure out what's going on and fixing it but if they deny the problem exists, I may end up returning it. I have 30 days.

tkowalik

Banned
Not sure what you did in the video but can explain what you did and whats happens? It was a real quick video. Did it solve anything?

I just removed the two screws that hold the top (silver) plate (under the black outside housing) in place and moved it so that it is up against the metal that surrounds the top part of the screen and it dramatically cut back the noise. You may have to turn your speakers up to hear it. If you do that and apply some downward pressure and tighten the screws really tight, it should get you by until a fix comes up. I haven't had any adverse issues by doing it (so far).

cabletek73

I’ve got the “hum” and “clicking” when the display changes what it’s doing. No external speaker. When I use one it’s the same thing. It’s not amplified, I’ve tried other outlets and made several videos that I’ve shared with a friend who has a 200 which does not exhibit this issue. Front headphone jack sounds good. If I can get one from someone that will check it before they send it I’ll entertain another one as it works well, this one is going back.

Update: I’ve been keeping tabs on what others are experiencing here and trying all the suggested work arounds to which not a single one has worked. While I keep tabs on my 30 day return policy I’ve found that putting a layer of black electrical tape over the speaker (on the bottom of the radio as you don’t see it) attenuates the noise to the degree that I don’t hear it on the night stand which is working much better. This doesn’t help you if your using an external speaker I understand. It is interesting to me also that of the you tube unboxing videos I have watched, as soon as the units are powered on, I immediately can identify the same noise from those units. I am in limbo, I like the radio otherwise but it’s outrageous to me to have to tape up a $700 scanner to be OK with it. If Uniden doesn’t acknowledge this Issue I won’t live with “that’s the way it is” and simply send it back.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Out of the box, the rear jack was unusable. After I moved the plate, it is tolerable but still not right.

I'm debating sending it back because it wasn't the seller's fault. I, personally, would rather work with Uniden to try to figure out what's going on and fixing it but if they deny the problem exists, I may end up returning it. I have 30 days.
I think Paul the Upman said they all do it, as for the keypad he said that was in spec. So I don't see him saying any more. If he doesn't say there is a problem officially it will cost me $105.00 restocking fee plus the cost of my updates.

tkowalik

Banned
I think Paul the Upman said they all do it, as for the keypad he said that was in spec. So I don't see him saying any more. If he doesn't say there is a problem officially it will cost me $105.00 restocking fee plus the cost of my updates.

It is an issue. Perhaps Uniden doesn’t have a defective unit; in that case, I’m willing to drive to Ft. Worth and sit down with them and show them in person what is going on.

I’ll post another video tonight detailing the issue and showing what I’m hearing. I still stand by the product but failure to entertain that there is a problem is deeply troubling to me — particularly when over half of the respondents of the poll suggest they are hearing it.

southernCTscan

Feed Provider
Ok, now I'm confused....but Happy. Had the SDS200 delivered to work, put it on my desk and just did the zip code programming and it there was the dreaded audio hum (posted earlier). Using Apple ear phones on the front jack there was no noise at all. Brought it home and set it up in my usual spot and there is no noise, hum or hissing! Here are the differences at home; 1) Reprogrammed using Sentinel 2) Attached my outdoor antenna 3) Fired up the Lan to my desktop and webserver 4) Plugged into a power strip

That's it, and now it is completely silent!

HNguyenLy

Ok, now I'm confused....but Happy. Had the SDS200 delivered to work, put it on my desk and just did the zip code programming and it there was the dreaded audio hum (posted earlier). Using Apple ear phones on the front jack there was no noise at all. Brought it home and set it up in my usual spot and there is no noise, hum or hissing! Here are the differences at home; 1) Reprogrammed using Sentinel 2) Attached my outdoor antenna 3) Fired up the Lan to my desktop and webserver 4) Plugged into a power strip

That's it, and now it is completely silent!
The front headphone jack doesn’t exhibit the noise for most. It’s the rear speaker jack that should be tested.

DataSquid

Sorry was watching a muy importante message from El Presidente. Here’s a little more detail. I hate my voice so feel free to flame away.

Is it possible to reattach the outer case in a way that keeps the inner shield flush with the LCD as shown? Or would the existing holes need tweaking/shims to fit back on in that alignment?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Sorry was watching a muy importante message from El Presidente. Here’s a little more detail. I hate my voice so feel free to flame away.
tkowalik,
Thank you for that video. While it doesn't fix the issue completely, it may be enough of an improvement to make it livable with some who have this problem. The positioning of this cover during final assembly may also help explain why some have units with much louder noise than others. Good catch!
And your voice is fine.

tkowalik

Banned
Is it possible to reattach the outer case in a way that keeps the inner shield flush with the LCD as shown? Or would the existing holes need tweaking/shims to fit back on in that alignment?

I am able to push the cover to make contact with the screen and tighten the screws to the top cover and reattach the outside housing and keep the ‘screeching’ to a tolerable level. Out of the box was not tolerable for me.

tkowalik

Banned
tkowalik,
Thank you for that video. While it doesn't fix the issue completely, it may be enough of an improvement to make it livable with some who have this problem. The positioning of this cover during final assembly may also help explain why some have units with much louder noise than others. Good catch!
And your voice is fine.

Thank you Steve. It definitely isn’t the fix but for me it is very tolerable.

Peerlessk

I haven’t even heard the noise in my fathers sds200 my three friends that have one close by . Heck even one friend has a close SN to the OP . A couple friends from PA one in VM no one has this problem I personally know .

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I would not lose any sleep over it. Just someone who more than likely does not own one or plan to. Just needs a reason to complain.
The noise does exist in my radio, but doesn't affect my use case. It does seem that about half the units have noise emanating from the internal speaker, and via a speaker connected to the rear ext speaker jack. To deny that the noise exists at all would be specious.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
mine does have a slight hum however I am trying to figure out if this is even a real issue.. I feel like its not. I am curious if some users truly have it worse then others or if its all the same and everyone interprets it differently.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
mine does have a slight hum however I am trying to figure out if this is even a real issue.. I feel like its not. I am curious if some users truly have it worse then others or if its all the same and everyone interprets it differently.
Agreed. I really don't hear it unless I concentrate, and everything else in the area is de-energized. My radios stay on 24/7 for the most part, and the normal noise floor in my workspace easily covers the low level noise emanating from the radio. The scratchy audio and the sidetone from my local SmartZone system is far more noticeable and annoying. But if this indeed a defect, I want it to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.