SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
It’s not about fixation on the radio. It’s the 700.00 bucks that people are paying and this commercial grade speaker I am using. I have never fixated on the BCT15X or the BCD996P2 radios. This was never an issue. Scanners are radios that put out noise that is for the ears to hear. I have a 100.00 BCT15X and 300.00 BCD996P2 and a 250.00 Whistler WS-1065 radio and I have never had these issues right out of the box and this was the absolutely the first thing that caught my ear right when it was turned on. It’s way too noticeable not to fixate on it. Those other lower end radios are completely quiet and I can use any set of any external speakers or earbuds of any kind with no issues.

And Uniden skipped the quality control on this issue again. I am not pissed or angry. I just believed I was going to get the scannner of the century and I write this because I am just plain bummed. The screen is great and everything else seems fine but this speaker issue is going to be a deal breaker.

Nobody else has complained because this is the first few days people are receiving the radios.

Uniden needs to get to the root of this problem immediately and get it resolved. Trust me I am not the only one that is going to notice this issue

Peerlessk

just Spoke with my brother . He said his sds200 is dead silent . He got his today this morning @9@m . . And his hearing? He can more than likely have heard the keys as I wrote this message

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I couldn't be happier with the audio from this scanner, altho I have not tried an external speaker yet. I was so satisfied with the sound from the internal speaker that I was questioning if I would even add another MLS. I jacked it up loud and walked into the other room and could hear it clearly, and then when I walked back into the radio room I did not hear any vibration or distortion or noise of any kind. I am usually pretty quick to customize my own audio when it comes to scanners, and I think the original spkr sounds great.

JD
kf4anc

n5gqb

I couldn't be happier with the audio from this scanner, altho I have not tried an external speaker yet. I was so satisfied with the sound from the internal speaker that I was questioning if I would even add another MLS. I jacked it up loud and walked into the other room and could hear it clearly, and then when I walked back into the radio room I did not hear any vibration or distortion or noise of any kind. I am usually pretty quick to customize my own audio when it comes to scanners, and I think the original spkr sounds great.

JD
kf4anc
Turn the volume down (so you don't blow out your ear when someone talks) and put your ear right up to the internal speaker and see if you can hear it. As said for me, I can barely hear it with my ear right up to it. I tried an external speaker using rear connector and it is much more noticeable. When I use headphones with the front jack I do not hear it, other than some slight residual hiss while someone is talking.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Turn the volume down (so you don't blow out your ear when someone talks) and put your ear right up to the internal speaker and see if you can hear it. As said for me, I can barely hear it with my ear right up to it. I tried an external speaker using rear connector and it is much more noticeable. When I use headphones with the front jack I do not hear it, other than some slight residual hiss while someone is talking.

Well, I am probably the last one you want to conduct an audio test such as this, as I have severe tinnitus and damaged nerve in left ear. That is why I commented so positively about the sound of the speaker, that I could hear it well, loud and clear and clean, no white noise, hiss pop, just good clean audio. I did as you described and I could not hear anything faintly. I plugged in my Bose QC headphones and it sounded fine. I tried several audio settings - nada. I plugged in one of my MLS speakers and it was good and clear with full quieting. No noise here to report.

The last thing I wanted to hear upon the release of the SDS200 is complaints from dissatisfied customers for whatever reason. There seems to be quite a few positive reviews, so I am surprised with this. Hopefully, it's a one-radio issue and it can be resolved with a quick hardware fix.

JD
kf4anc

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Did you try it in a different location ?
Was your cell phone close to radio or near antenna input.
Can you try plugging it in a different outlet.
Any touch lamps in the room ?
How about your modem is it close by.
Any light dimmer switches ?
Trying to think of things to help resolve
what you are experiencing.

allend

Premium Subscriber
This is my BCD996P2 radio that is right next to my SDS-200 on the same LAPD channels. Absolutely quiet as a mouse. This YouTube video proves it all. Like I said in the past Uniden radios beyond the BCD996P2 have had this pulsing hissing and humming noise. The only reason why I do YouTube videos now is so people can see and hear with their own ears. I am not bashing anybody or any company. I just hear what I hear and this is what I hear after spending 700.00 bucks.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I don't think anyone thinks you are company-bashing or trashing Uniden for spite. You obviously have an audio issue. I think I have probably watched all of the vids out there from beta testers, etc, and I did not notice any such problem with any other radios. in fact, I was overly impressed with the audio I heard from the early release radios, and with mine as well. You have something going on there, bad speaker, bad wire, some kind of interference. The good thing is - you are in the absolute best place for help and resources.

JD
kf4anc

allend

Premium Subscriber
Here you go again with another video at the Menu Screen. I know I am not loosing my mind.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I'm not an RF technician or any kind of expert here, but I have been around radios and amplifiers and guitar audio and amplifiers for over 45 years, and now that I CAN hear the sound clearly - it does sound to me like interference - RF - AC hum, ground buzz - not a sucky $700.00 scanner radio speaker. Send it to a bench.

JD
kf4anc

allend

Premium Subscriber
I went on Ebay and created a return so I can either get it exchanged or returned for a refund. If they do an exchange and the same problem keeps happening then we know its just not one bad radio. But I will give it a few tries give it a chance. I do not have much hope but you never know. I just do not was to get stuck with a 700.00 radio with the way these videos are turning out. It gives me Anxiety at its best. It's no chump change as we all know

allend

Premium Subscriber
I'm not an RF technician or any kind of expert here, but I have been around radios and amplifiers and guitar audio and amplifiers for over 45 years, and now that I CAN hear the sound clearly - it does sound to me like interference - RF - AC hum, ground buzz - not a sucky $700.00 scanner radio speaker. Send it to a bench.

JD
kf4anc

I am not trying say you are wrong but if you look at my BCD996P2 radio video it sits right next to my SDS200 radio plugged into the same AC outlet. Your point is well taken but I have to say negative on what your findings may be. My 996P2 radio is quiet as a button. Thanks though

allend

Premium Subscriber
Here is one more video and last one on scanning and you can hear the hissing and the pulsing noise like the BCD536HP radios had but not as bad as the SDS-200. This is with the volume turned all the way down. This is not a fixation. This is raw video.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am not trying say you are wrong but if you look at my BCD996P2 radio video it sits right next to my SDS200 radio plugged into the same AC outlet. Your point is well taken but I have to say negative on what your findings may be. My 996P2 radio is quiet as a button. Thanks though

I was thinking internally generated interference. Keep in mind, on a radio-to-radio basis, noise can be generated by its own inner circuitry via bad connection, bad/cold solder, shorts, from it's own power supply, etc. Just chiming in with possibilities. I'd like to see it solved quickly for you.

Good luck.

JD
kf4anc

scosgt

I use a Whistler 1080 to stream over TRX Android Suite
Had the same problem until I used the ground loop isolator.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking internally generated interference. Keep in mind, on a radio-to-radio basis, noise can be generated by its own inner circuitry via bad connection, bad/cold solder, shorts, from it's own power supply, etc. Just chiming in with possibilities. I'd like to see it solved quickly for you.

Good luck.

JD
kf4anc

Thanks. I am pretty sure I am not going to send it into Uniden to put it on their bench on a brand new radio at 700.00 bucks. Shipping it in and waiting for weeks and then wait and wait. Best to just do the return to the company I bought it from and they can deal with it. Hopefully it just me having this issue but time will tell. Thanks again.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
No hum here on my sds200 at all. Sounds great, and that's through a thirty year old speaker.

gillham

Feed Provider
Here is one more video and last one on scanning and you can hear the hissing and the pulsing noise like the BCD536HP radios had but not as bad as the SDS-200. This is with the volume turned all the way down. This is not a fixation. This is raw video.

Yikes, I can’t even watch the whole video because the hum is driving me crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.