SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Just out of curiosity, have any of you noticed that it takes something like five detent clicks of the volume dial before you start to hear scanner audio from the internal speaker?
It's exactly the same on a BCD536. Don't know the reason for it as I thought it was a digital control and should react on the first click. Could it be related to the +/- volume you can set on talk groups so you are able to reduce the volume to 0 using those dead clicks if you have set it to +3 on a TG?

/Ubbe

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
It's exactly the same on a BCD536. Don't know the reason for it as I thought it was a digital control and should react on the first click. Could it be related to the +/- volume you can set on talk groups so you are able to reduce the volume to 0 using those dead clicks if you have set it to +3 on a TG?

/Ubbe
all my volume offsets are at "0" on TGs

tkowalik

Banned
simple fixes - ear plugs for the speaker hum, hearing aid for volume control issue, pen light for button light issue. all would say UNIDEN on them and would also be great marketing gimmick. i should head up their marketing dept. Uniden, if you are reading, DM me for resume.

I’ve been laughing for 15 min!

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber

KN4C

Believe it or not here is what I did to stem the hum noise.

I took square post it notes 6 sheets thick
covered the speaker on the bottom of the scanner.

https://www.amazon.com/Post-America...k+notes&qid=1550074558&s=gateway&sr=8-6-spell

The hum can no longer be heard and the audio is
still clear.

Not the answer for the external speaker jack but
at least I dont hear that annoying hum.

I just removed the two screws that hold the top (silver) plate (under the black outside housing) in place and moved it so that it is up against the metal that surrounds the top part of the screen and it dramatically cut back the noise. You may have to turn your speakers up to hear it. If you do that and apply some downward pressure and tighten the screws really tight, it should get you by until a fix comes up. I haven't had any adverse issues by doing it (so far).

It's sounding more and more like it's a vibration noise.

ArtU

Noise out of the Box, on external speaker as well. Headphone jack is different circuit, no noise. Screen acting up with digital flickers after 5 days. Maybe less as it had the screen protector on it before and I assumed anomalies where the platic cover. Took cover off yesterday when seeing more weird stuff.

ArtU

Those that can't heard the noise, due to different levels of hearing frequency peaks in humans, put the speaker to your ear and then you can hear it. I could hear it my friend could not. Told him to put it to his ear, he could.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It's sounding more and more like it's a vibration noise.
Not mine - beside, "vibration" doesn't explain the same noise when using the ext spkr jack, but not from the headphone jack.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Those that can't heard the noise, due to different levels of hearing frequency peaks in humans, put the speaker to your ear and then you can hear it. I could hear it my friend could not. Told him to put it to his ear, he could.
I would agree there is variation in hearing in play, but there also seems to be a "loudness" element to it (although could also be related to hearing acuity.) One of the "fixes" reduces the noise (according to the "developer,") but doesn't eliminate it. And apparently, a low volume of noise that can only be heard inches away is "normal" for this radio, while audible 3 feet would not be normal. At least that what I surmise from somewhat less than candid postings in this thread.

ArtU

Mine is CPU "like" noise, and it changes as things the scanner is doing change. If I was not afraid of opening the cover and voiding my warranty I could probably use one of my probes and locate where inside its coming from that sounds the same.

FYI CPU or PLL Noise out of a muted or running communications equipment speaker is not normal. Imagine a high end Yasue radio that had CPU noise low in volume in Sideband mode?

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Mine is CPU "like" noise, and it changes as things the scanner is doing change. If I was not afraid of opening the cover and voiding my warranty I could probably use one of my probes and locate where inside its coming from that sounds the same.
The operating manual has instructions on removing the case for use in an ISO installation, so no warranty issue.

Badboy536

I thought i read here on one of the post that someone replaced the sd card with a better one and the noise went away has anyone tried this yet?

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Imagine a high end Yasue radio that had CPU noise low in volume in Sideband mode?
My Yaesu VX-8DR handheld has exactly this CPU noise while scanning, and in FM mode at that. It is worse when the frequencies are changing bands due to the way they are stored in memory. I have since used software to load them into memory in frequency order, greatly reducing the number of band changes.

ArtU

The operating manual has instructions on removing the case for use in an ISO installation, so no warranty issue.

If this is like my older 996XT, there are other covers under the main cover, and also a "shield" on top of the sensitive components that also need removed and does not in a ISO install?

I have a Display issue in another thread. That is a reason for a return and I do not wish to void that opportunity in any way.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If this is like my older 996XT, there are other covers under the main cover, and also a "shield" on top of the sensitive components that also need removed and does not in a ISO install?

I have a Display issue in another thread. That is a reason for a return and I do not wish to void that opportunity in any way.
Similar - previous also used a DIN sleeve and these do not.

ArtU

My Yaesu VX-8DR handheld has exactly this CPU noise while scanning, and in FM mode at that. It is worse when the frequencies are changing bands due to the way they are stored in memory. I have since used software to load them into memory in frequency order, greatly reducing the number of band changes.

Interesting, I have the VX-8G that they came out with just a year or so after that radio. I'll do an up to ear check tonight on it as well as the FT1DR FT1DX and the rest of my Fusion radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.