SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigC801

I voted no in the poll as I have no hum in my 200, but it does sound like a 16 year olds 1998 Honda civic with 12's in the trunk. It rattles a vibrates with voice traffic, it hard to understand the voices most of the time.

I also have to turn my volume up to 5 or 6 before I can hear any sound.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I voted no in the poll as I have no hum in my 200, but it does sound like a 16 year olds 1998 Honda civic with 12's in the trunk. It rattles a vibrates with voice traffic, it hard to understand the voices most of the time.

Hmm, I can hear traffic starting at vol 1 using the internal speaker - are you using the ground loop isolator mentioned as a solution for the hum?

BigC801

Hmm, I can hear traffic starting at vol 1 using the internal speaker - are you using the ground loop isolator mentioned as a solution for the hum?

No volume offset or ground loop isolator, sticking my ear to the scanner I can hear noise at 4, not really a complaint just info.

ColdnFrosty

Only "1" needed here to get audio, but the hum I have is much louder.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
No volume offset or ground loop isolator, sticking my ear to the scanner I can hear noise at 4, not really a complaint just info.
I would be more concerned about the "rattles and vibrations" that makes it hard to understand voices tbh. Shouldn't do that unless the volume is set way too high.

HNguyenLy

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned on the thread, so I’m going to post it for posterity. The phone number for Uniden customer service/support is: 1 (800) 297-1023.

Uniden contact page if you prefer to send an email.

Contact Us - Uniden

Based on a recent call, they have reported the noise issues with the SDS200 on to corporate and are awaiting a response. I highly recommend that everyone with this issue call in to report their serial numbers so that the problem is documented.

The skeptical side of me knows that I just put all of this information in to a black box and that Uniden may not do anything with it, however the more optimistic side is hopeful that the problem will be addressed.

For reference, my serial number is: 384Z88001944

m42duster

Just keep in mind that this unit does work but you have to really turn up the volume on the scanner in order for the external speaker to work now.

I'll check and report how it performs. This unit is going to be used as a dedicated feed. Just hope that feed listeners don't hear it.

Tramagod

I am so mad right now. I just got this radio today and plugged in regular ear buds and there is a lot of white noise and it sounds horrible.

also, I plugged in the Vertex MLS-100 speaker and the hissing and the pulsing noise is the same and it is completely worse than the 536HP at this point. I am so shocked and can't believe it at this point. There is like this loud humming noise coming out of the external speaker. Also, I hear it coming out of the internal speaker too.

I never had this issue with any of my BCD996P2 series radios. *****This is a big major Problem*********

Attached is the link for LAPD. You can actually here the humming noise from the external speaker and it does not happen on any of my other radios. I always complained about this issue with the BCD536HP radios when they first were released and this SDS-200 Radio is even worse.

I also have the SDS200 and don’t experience anything like your describing. It sounds better than my X36 radios, but I assumed it was because of a better quality speaker. Are you sure the white noise you’re experiencing isn’t coming from the external speakers/earbuds and not the scanner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArtU

Mine sounds on P25 simulcast better than any other scanner I have, and I have had lots of them; , lets get that truth out there. However this has CPU noise in the receiver that gets out the main speaker and external speaker that communications equipment should not have.

It also is showing similar artifacts in the display that seem in time with the CPU noise in the speaker.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Still no issues here with audio output, speaker noise, or cpu type noises on my SDS200. Audio is so good out of my unit that I doubt I will purchase an external speaker for it as I have done with all of my scanners. Loud, crisp, clear, with nice bass and treble. Instead of the tilted (included) bracket, I purchased a pkg of 4 1" tall round adhesive rubber feet to raise the scanner up to let the speaker breathe. No backlight issues, either. Backlit keypad is not as bright as SDS100 but it is there and not an issue even if it wasn't, as I have an overhead lamp on my scanner nook and can clearly see all base station keypads. Flawless simulcast reception, getting MARCS towers down in Cincy and beyond. vhf/uhf on rooftop yagi is awesome, hearing systems and fire callouts 60 miles away. No lines or flicker on screen. So nothing to report here - I am a happy scanner :)

JD
kf4anc

ColdnFrosty

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned on the thread, so I’m going to post it for posterity. The phone number for Uniden customer service/support is: 1 (800) 297-1023.

Uniden contact page if you prefer to send an email.

Contact Us - Uniden

Based on a recent call, they have reported the noise issues with the SDS200 on to corporate and are awaiting a response. I highly recommend that everyone with this issue call in to report their serial numbers so that the problem is documented.

The skeptical side of me knows that I just put all of this information in to a black box and that Uniden may not do anything with it, however the more optimistic side is hopeful that the problem will be addressed.

For reference, my serial number is: 384Z88001944

I filed a ticket a week ago and called today to get a status. They told me exactly what you said, "We're waiting to hear what corporate says."

Peerlessk

Still no issues here with audio output, speaker noise, or cpu type noises on my SDS200. Audio is so good out of my unit that I doubt I will purchase an external speaker for it as I have done with all of my scanners. Loud, crisp, clear, with nice bass and treble. Instead of the tilted (included) bracket, I purchased a pkg of 4 1" tall round adhesive rubber feet to raise the scanner up to let the speaker breathe. No backlight issues, either. Backlit keypad is not as bright as SDS100 but it is there and not an issue even if it wasn't, as I have an overhead lamp on my scanner nook and can clearly see all base station keypads. Flawless simulcast reception, getting MARCS towers down in Cincy and beyond. vhf/uhf on rooftop yagi is awesome, hearing systems and fire callouts 60 miles away. No lines or flicker on screen. So nothing to report here - I am a happy scanner :)

JD
kf4anc
Could you pass along where you found the feet please . I too am looking to doe this sort of setup without bracket. Would be greatly appreciated if you would share please . Thank you

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

JD
kf4anc
So do you want to sell your scanner? The scanner, how much for the scanner? A thousand bucks?, you can always order another one, they're all the same right? hahaha.

Glad to hear your good news, you are a lucky man with your two new radios.(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.