SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
UPDATE : I substituted cloth shelf liner for the above .
https://www.amazon.com/Liner-Non-Adhesive-Shelf-Anti-Slip-Drawer/dp/B079Y7TZMN/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=draw+liner&qid=1550251518&s=gateway&sr=8-22&th=1

I placed four sheets cut down to the size of the speaker and placed it between the
bottom of the scanner and the mounting bracket.
used a usb stick wedged in there to keep it in place.

hopefully Uniden will find a real cure .

View attachment 68665

So...you're saying this stops the noise on an external speaker or just the internal?

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
So...you're saying this stops the noise on an external speaker or just the internal?

This is my #1 question at this point as well as I wait for my SDS200 to arrive. I fully intend to use a Motorola external speaker as I do with most of my base scanners, and so far can only see that the DIY solutions have had varying degrees of success with attenuating internal speaker noise. Can anyone clarify on the effect on external speaker noise?

I can also appreciate the idea of putting the cloth / rag below the speaker to eliminate noise, but I can't help but shake my head at the fact that this is what is needed.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Just the internal speaker

Ok, so I suspect the padding is just attenuating all sound from the speaker and since the noise is a fixed level it's being attenuated enough to not hear it (but you have to turn up the volume to compensate for the attenuation).

m42duster

Just turned it on a few minutes ago. I'm in a quiet room. Firstly, I'm 57 years old. I have a high frequency hearing loss, compliments of Uncle Sam's Artillery.

When I first turned it on, I heard a distinct tone. I'm like...mmmmmmm.

Once I did a simple Zip program, all I hear is beautiful audio. Using an old Bearcat speaker, again clear, no noise as described. I am impressed with the audio and digital decoding. This unit blows my TRX-2 away.

I have to place my ear right up on the unit to hear that tone noise. I don't hear any processor or artifact type noise. I admit, I was 50/50 on how it would be, but I'm very impressed. I bought this unit to replace my TRX-2 for my dedicated feed, but I think I'll sell the TRX-2 and buy another SDS200.

I purchased this unit from Bearcat Wharehouse eBay store.

Yee doggy...im happy.

Mark~AC8EO

m42duster

OK, so after listening for awhile. I do indeed, hear the noise as described. In a dead quiet room I can hear it from more than a few feet away. I could see where it would be easy to fixate on.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
OK, not cool at all!

I hooked this unit on my RR feed. You can hear it plain as day. It is annoying as hell. Just waiting for reception reports to be submitted by my listeners. I'm listening to my feed on my phone. YUCK! Come on UNIDEN.

Check noise on my feed channel.

http://www.bbscanner.com/listen.php?id=64253

That's a totally unacceptable noise level in my view. I sure hope mule is right and that it's just a simple adjustment that you need to make.

mule1075

Feed Provider
That's a totally unacceptable noise level in my view. I sure hope mule is right and that it's just a simple adjustment that you need to make.
You won't get rid of it completely but you can get it under control. I had the issue with the 436hp and a Upgraded Pro-18. My 125at has no background noise. I chalked it up to the SD card never had any trouble with feeding with scanners without them. That did not include the 536hp the streaming over wifi option the audio was crystal clear.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
You won't get rid of it completely I had the issue with the 436hp and a Upgraded Pro-18. My 125at has no background noise. I chalked it up to the SD card never had any trouble with feeding with scanners without them.
Interesting. Can you explain how the SD card would cause it though? The SD card is just an un-powered memory chip, I don't believe it can generate noise unless I'm missing something.

*Also, can anyone confirm that the 3.5 mm ground loop isolator does in fact remove this particular noise when used with an external speaker?

mule1075

Feed Provider
Interesting. Can you explain how the SD card would cause it though? The SD card is just an un-powered memory chip, I don't believe it can generate noise unless I'm missing something.
I don't know if that was the issue or not. It just seemed to me that was the problem since I had know trouble before. And if I remember correctly I shutoff the replay function and that helped a little as well.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
That’s just how mine sounded, could hear it across the room, very annoying. You can hear it in the video I made, but it was much more noticeable in person. Talked to scanner master and he said he had tried 2 of them and they didn’t have any of the issues mentioned but he had about them on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

m42duster

The 436hp does it as well when running on a feed. If you are using radiofeed or Proscan I highly recommend you go to the audio monitor and test tab and play with the settings.

I'm using Scanner Cast. It works well for my TRX-2. I'm not familiar with the apps you mentioned. Do those apps have audio processing that removes this artifact from the 436HP?

If it does, then I'll need to find time to migrate over.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.