SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
My 536s do the same thing. On an external speaker in a quiet room, they're difficult to listen to. To be clear, it's not an external power supply issue; it's simply poor isolation between the analog and digital sections of the circuitry, probably via improperly coupled Vcc and/or ground buses. On the up side, I guess I could learn what noise each scanlist made and not have to look at the display....

allend

Premium Subscriber
All I know is that Uniden or Upman have not responded to this issue yet. Of course this is all new music to their ears since the first batch of radios just got released a few days ago and now the problems are starting. I sure love how everybody thinks they know how to fix the issues when this is a hardware related design flaw with these radios.

What happened to Quality Control with the list of issues from the last models of radios. Keep in mind the BCD436HP and the SDS-100 radios do not have any of these issues. Its only been with the BCD536HP with that noise that was not that bad but it still made a pulsing noise that was explained to Uniden until the horse was beaten to death. Now the SDS-200 is having these issues which sounds worse. Well it looks like my other SDS-200 from another company will not be here until tomorrow so the videos of the next radio will not happen until tomorrow evening.

dfw1193

Flex radio newest sds rigs have terrible popping audio issues, not some but everyone produced because they were engineered to meet a certain price point and added circuitry was not put in them to get rid of the pop and snap which happens everytime the power is taken away from the units, after about 20 seconds of power being off. Sounds like the exhibiting sds units and affected other units have leaky or defective audio filtering or bypass circuitry. Just my opinion ...

kb8rvp

Actually I bought a second one from another vendor and it should be here tomorrow and I am just going to re-fuse the shipment most likely and ship it back. I am not paying for another 700 dollar turd. I really thought this was going to be THE GEM but I guess when you buy at the beginning you have to take the brunt of the pain for the TEAM that are waiting on the side-lines.
It would be interesting to see if the second one you ordered sounds as bad or not.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
What, no "be patient, firmware might fix this" comment yet? That thing sounds like a hot mess and hopefully you get every penny back.

radio3353

Have you tried the suggestion of trying the radio in another location ('other location' being somebody else's house for example?) I am not saying it is not your radio, but you should try to scientifically narrow down the cause before you go gangbusters with the rhetoric.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If you read back into all of my posts which would be a good idea I have a BCD996P2 that sits right next to it in another video in this thread with no issues in the same location on the same power and everything with no issues. Sounds quiet as a mouse.

I also took it off site to work today and same issue

allend

Premium Subscriber
Also, I was wondering if the people that actually have no issues if its the run on the serial number. Maybe a bad batch was created

Serial # 88-001778

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
I'm just wondering why none of the Beta testers to my knowledge have reported a problem from the speaker noise being there or why the keypad light is so dim.
I could be wrong but Paul hasn't said much about either issue, I will wait till he does and see if it is declared a defect so I can return for a refund or exchange. I bought this based on how much I like my SDS100.

tkowalik

Banned
Has anyone experienced this same problem with the SDS100? Thanks

I have not experienced any kind of hum on the 100. The audio up until the latest firmware update seemed a bit muffled. After I applied the latest update and set the filter to normal, the audio is crystal clear. I don’t know exactly what changed but I couldn’t be any happier with the 100 now.

WeBeCinYa

Hopefully your next one will be fine and this is isolated. Being that there are only a couple with noise issues I bet the next one is good to go.

Now as far as retuning the initial one, I assume that’s no issue?

Frustrating for sure but this is the true beta testing time for a new product launch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stecomp

My serial number is 880010.. and is on its way back to TX for repair as I just updated in the SDS200 initial review thread. My SDS100 has been problem free since day one of availability.

allend

Premium Subscriber
My serial number is 880010.. and is on its way back to TX for repair as I just updated in the SDS200 initial review thread. My SDS100 has been problem free since day one of availability.

Great so people buy a scanner radio for 700 bucks and now you have to send it in so they can wrench on it and open up the screws and start re-soldering stuff on the inside of the radio. God Bless America.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There's no denying the loud hum any more than someone can try to deny the dim keyboards. allend just an obvious question that you may have already answered but any difference between the earphone and speaker Jack?

As a potential SDS 200 buyer I have a question, just as a matter of personal preference I choose not to purchase a sophisticated radio like this right off the line and prefer to wait a while but if you return your radio and others return their radios with issues and the vendor restocks it for sale what is to keep someone else from getting a defective unit? Then it gets returned and restocked again etc, etc.

Does the vendor send it back to Uniden? Do they then fix it and sell it as refurbished? Who determines if it's a valid issue other than obviously the consumer who went to all the trouble of returning it with great disappointment?

There is a lot of new uncertainty about putting out the big bucks here.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well that's the big question we do not know what happens to these radios once they are sent back for returns to Uniden. I can pretty much guarantee they would not crush it for metal scraps. I bet they blow the radio clean and put a nice new display film over the display and re-pack it into a new box and re-use the same accessories that were never opened.

The earphone is no where as perfect to the BCT15X and the BCD996P2 radios with the earjack and the external speaker. I have never had a complaint about anything. Those radio were and still are bullet proof. It was just noticeable when the BCD536HP radios came out with the pulsing noise out of the speaker and the rear jack.

I would not be surprised if they used somewhat of the same guts and just pieced it together with a LAN port and a bigger box and screen. It makes no sense that the BCD436HP did not have any of those issues with the speaker and the SDS-100 either. Then you get into the base side with the BCD536HP and the SDS-200 and its been dicey since. As we all know I am not the only with with these issues that are noticeable. I just want a radio that is almost near perfect. Cuz if I buy the NXDN and DMR upgrade and then the radio fails then I am out the money and then have to fight back in forth with Uniden on fixing the radio and as we all know its a nightmare. PO shipping RMA's - then phone calls to Uniden and the time and effort is just way too much when you spend 700.00 big bucks for a radio and this is their most expensive scanner ever. Then you are back and forth for a couple of months with no radio that you spent your hard earned money for. Where is the positive when it comes to this nightmare that can happen.

Then you add the NXDN and DMR and then you are at 800.00 bucks.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm just wondering why none of the Beta testers to my knowledge have reported a problem from the speaker noise being there or why the keypad light is so dim.
It would be reasonable to assume that any agreement that they signed to become a Beta Tester would preclude them from making public any negative issues with the device. All of their feedback would have to be shared with only the company.

tkowalik

Banned
Great so people buy a scanner radio for 700 bucks and now you have to send it in so they can wrench on it and open up the screws and start re-soldering stuff on the inside of the radio. God Bless America.

I share your sentiment that companies should strive for perfection before releasing products. However, companies are run by people and people are not perfect. I'm fine as long as a defect is corrected (at no cost) once identified. I'm more willing to be an early adopter to help identify any problems and forgive once corrected.

If we, as consumers, expect absolute perfection for 100% of units before a product of any kind is released, we may find ourselves never seeing new products or faced with long, unnecessary delays as companies would be too afraid of backlash to release anything.

tumegpc

I take delivery on my SDS200 tomorrow and before I pay for any upgrades I'm gonna check for humming and a dim keypad. I can live with a dim keypad, but humming anything more than what I've experienced with the 536HP will be going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.