SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdnFrosty

A variable that has not been checked yet that can cause a “Hum” is improper outlet wiring in your house. Might consider trying one of those colored three light plug in testers in to your house outlets to see if they are properly grounded or not.

Just a thought.

Note that it has nothing to do with the power source. The hum is actually modulated by the scanning - causing the hum to change frequency with each channel it scans. There are several recordings that have been posted and they all reflect the same scenario.

allend

Premium Subscriber
The in line external speaker ground loop 3.5 mm adapter I just got from Amazon today not only succeeded in lowering the hum dramatically to the external speaker, it also lowered the audio substantially. Even with the scanner volume turned all the way up, the sound was low and a bit distorted. Guess I’ll keep that adapter for a rainy day for some other use at some point in time.

Yes, exactly what happened to me, but it worked. But yes it dramatically dropped the volume power

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Yes, exactly what happened to me, but it worked. But yes it dramatically dropped the volume power

I wonder if it's loading down the circuit, thereby just attenuating the noise? This may end up damaging the audio amplifier if true.

ETA...
I don't think this device will work as I believe the jack on the SDS200 is mono and this has stereo input/output.

Last edited:

ColdnFrosty

So I bought this ground loop isolator on Amazon yesterday and had it delivered today. I absolutely do not hear anymore humming, hissing, or pulsing anymore. The only thing is that I have to turn up the volume knob more on the radio to get more of the sound results on the radio. I do get less speaker results but the noise is gone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2

That device appears to have a stereo plug. Isn't the rear speaker jack a mono?

tkowalik

Banned
I've spent a little more time with it and I've been able to reduce the noise (I'll quit calling it a hum because that's not really a good description) by about 90%. I took a video of what it sounded like initially and how it sounds by moving the plate all the way forward and applying modest downward pressure around the top left corner of the unit. I'll upload it if I can figure out how.

I'm just not brave enough to go beyond removing the upper and lower inner plates but it seems like it does indeed get much better when the top inner plate makes contact with the metal around the screen.

budevans

I've spent a little more time with it and I've been able to reduce the noise (I'll quit calling it a hum because that's not really a good description) by about 90%. I took a video of what it sounded like initially and how it sounds by moving the plate all the way forward and applying modest downward pressure around the top left corner of the unit. I'll upload it if I can figure out how.

I'm just not brave enough to go beyond removing the upper and lower inner plates but it seems like it does indeed get much better when the top inner plate makes contact with the metal around the screen.

Sounds like a ground or shielding issue.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I

I removed the black metal housing sleeve and placed some thin foam padding I had laying around on top of the silver metal housing as close to the front of the radio as possible. It has helped reduce the speaker hum dramatically. Still could use some more, as when I push down with my finger in that area, the noise almost completely disappears.

tkowalik

Banned
I

I removed the black metal housing sleeve and placed some thin foam padding I had laying around on top of the silver metal housing as close to the front of the radio as possible. It has helped reduce the speaker hum dramatically. Still could use some more, as when I push down with my finger in that area, the noise almost completely disappears.

Exactly the same here. It doesn't even bother me anymore.

tkowalik

Banned
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Here's an attempt to upload the video.

tkowalik

Banned
edit: link works if I'm logged in but the video is still processing.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Can you amplify it again externally without bringing back the noise?
No, it's still the same relation between the noise and the signal and it is not a ground loop problem between speaker and scanner. But anything that reduces the signal to the speaker will also reduce the background noise that you hear independent of the volume control setting.

/Ubbe

W2MB

No, it's still the same relation between the noise and the signal and it is not a ground loop problem between speaker and scanner. But anything that reduces the signal to the speaker will also reduce the background noise that you hear independent of the volume control setting.

/Ubbe
Sounds like an internal component shielding and/or grounding issue. Not uncommon in digital and RF environments. Unfortunately, the real resolution may well be via design and/or component change. Basically, internal noise is getting into the receiver circuitry chain. Padding the audio would just be a mask. Firmware update may be able to address it via DSP filtering, but the real fix is hardware related. This is one reason why we see product revisions over time and is one of the pitfalls associated with being an early adopter.

m42duster

Sounds like an internal component shielding and/or grounding issue. Not uncommon in digital and RF environments. Unfortunately, the real resolution may well be via design and/or component change. Basically, internal noise is getting into the receiver circuitry chain. Padding the audio would just be a mask. Firmware update may be able to address it via DSP filtering, but the real fix is hardware related. This is one reason why we see product revisions over time and is one of the pitfalls associated with being an early adopter.

Agreed...but it could still be a component QC issue as well. So far, seems to be a 50/50 crap shoot on units w/o this issue. I see some posturing that this noise is normal, which doesn't surprise me. Uniden didn't make any changes in their export transceivers that were affected by CW buffering caused by a design flaw. Ignoring a FLAGSHIP scanner? We'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.