SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

noaim

Premium Subscriber

different recording equipment picks up sounds differently this could still be the same as everyone else. Also sounds around you can change whats heard and whats not I wish I had 3 sds-200's to put side by side in my own environment. Recording sound is very different then recording video. I am not saying there isn't a problem and I am not saying there is a problem. In my radio in my environment I don't see it as a issue. I don't have multiple sds-200's to test.

HNguyenLy

mine does have a slight hum however I am trying to figure out if this is even a real issue.. I feel like its not. I am curious if some users truly have it worse then others or if its all the same and everyone interprets it differently.
The noise seems to vary for users which may be due to a number of factors ranging from the severity of the issue on their specific unit, the listening environment, the hearing of the user, user’s sensitivity to specific frequencies, etc. The noise is definitely more pronounced and takes away from the monitoring experience if you connect any kind of speaker to the rear speaker jack on the scanner.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber

Peerlessk

different recording equipment picks up sounds differently this could still be the same as everyone else. Also sounds around you can change whats heard and whats not I wish I had 3 sds-200's to put side by side in my own environment. Recording sound is very different then recording video. I am not saying there isn't a problem and I am not saying there is a problem. In my radio in my environment I don't see it as a issue. I don't have multiple sds-200's to test.
And if a cell phone was used add noise from that . If an iPad was used buzzing and pulsing sound .

Peerlessk

record something with your cells and or iPad . Report back . Stand in the middle of your kitchen record a video . Play it back . Let me know what you hear

tkowalik

Banned
record something with your cells and or iPad . Report back . Stand in the middle of your kitchen record a video . Play it back . Let me know what you hear

When I recorded I was in my office with nothing else on. If you’d like, I’ll record another starting with everything off and go from there.

Recording in my office with everything off, you will hear nothing.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Or once could enter "airplane mode", thereby turning off all radios in the device first before recording, my thought.

Peerlessk

When I recorded I was in my office with nothing else on. If you’d like, I’ll record another starting with everything off and go from there.

Recording in my office with everything off, you will hear nothing.
I’m not disputing the noise . I’m simply saying phones and iPads will add to the sound for those of us listening to the videos

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the SDS200 employs a BTL amplifier like what was used in the BCD536HP? I remember seeing many a thread advising caution when using an amplified external speaker with the 536, including that you could possibly damage the amp in the 536 if the wrong type of speaker was connected. Here's an old thread discussing the issue:

https://forums.radioreference.com/t...ection-considerations-and-precautions.284238/

Perhaps this has been brought up already with regard to the SDS200. Apologies if so.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Does anyone know if the SDS200 employs a BTL amplifier like what was used in the BCD536HP? I remember seeing many a thread advising caution when using an amplified external speaker with the 536, including that you could possibly damage the amp in the 536 if the wrong type of speaker was connected. Here's an old thread discussing the issue:

https://forums.radioreference.com/t...ection-considerations-and-precautions.284238/

Perhaps this has been brought up already with regard to the SDS200. Apologies if so.

Yes, it uses a BTL amp also. And I suspect that is the culprit for the source of noise.

markjrenna

I may have missed it... Uniden admits there is a problem with this hum buzz cpu shielding ground noise issue???

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I may have missed it... Uniden admits there is a problem with this hum buzz cpu shielding ground noise issue???
No they have not acknowledged any issue yet. Upman has said the noise is normal for the radio in a reply to me earlier in this thread - I'll append the post number when I find it.

It's posts #116 and #117 on page 6 of this thread.

Peerlessk

No they have not acknowledged any issue yet. Upman has said the noise is normal for the radio in a reply to me earlier in this thread - I'll append the post number when I find it.

It's posts #116 and #117 on page 6 of this thread.
Normal ? And for those not having any such noise? I’ve had a couple people with stellar hearing not hearing the slightest hum from my sds200. Because I second guessed my hearing Because of reading all the post about the noise issue . I don’t hear it . My 22 yo doesn’t hear it . My wife can still hear pins drop from the rooftop can’t hear a hum . So what gives ? I got one of the Golden/ platinum series sds200?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Normal ? And for those not having any such noise? I’ve had a couple people with stellar hearing not hearing the slightest hum from my sds200. Because I second guessed my hearing Because of reading all the post about the noise issue . I don’t hear it . My 22 yo doesn’t hear it . My wife can still hear pins drop from the rooftop can’t hear a hum . So what gives ? I got one of the Golden/ platinum series sds200?
Right. That's exactly the point. About half the customers are reporting a problem, which points to a QC issue vs. a design issue.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
upman my only question is and this may be a dumb question.. will this hurt anything in the radio because what I hear on mine is not a problem to me - just want to make sure that its not something that could be bad or hurt the radio..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The quote restated in context was noise heard from a few inches away but not from more than a foot away was not unusual.
And I also need to revise my initial finding / post that the "noise" is evident from 3 feet away if the listening room is completely quiet (which is almost never in my use case.)

Status
Not open for further replies.