SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

m42duster

I would take Upman's post above (#403) as an encouraging sign. And BTW, I urge other posters to be civil in the commentary.

Yes, that's encouraging. I wouldn't be concerned with noise as he described. I would expect that type of noise anyways. Now, the noise in the video....Well that ain't normal

allend

Premium Subscriber
The internal speaker does make a hum/pulsing noise. Not really loud and crazy but it is noticeable when on a desk in a base setup.

As to the external speaker jack "Oh Boy" it is very noticeable and annoying and it makes you fixate on it. It's not a normal quiet scanner. Like I keep saying this does not happen on the BCT15X or the BCD996P2 scanner radios. I have been using these Vertex MLS-100 external speakers for years now on all of the previous scanners with no issues including no hissing/pulsing or humming noises.

BCD536HP was noticeable right out of the box a few years ago. The SDS-200 was way more noticeable. This is completely not normal as there is a reason why Uniden added the external speaker jack to the back of the radio. It's to use an external speaker like they have done in the past with no issues until the design of the BCD536HP and now the SDS-200.

I think we all can be frustrated since we spent quite a bit money and when turning on the radio the noise and hum sounds started right out of the gate. This was not something that we were aware of or agreed to when we bought this 700.00 dollar scanner.

I am still having a rough time wrapping my mind around that this could even be remotely be within "SPECS". How can this be within "SPECS" when your older lower end Flagship scanners do not have this issue? Once this is explained to all of us then maybe we can be a little bit more easy going.

brodeurm

Premium Subscriber
Order the audio ground loop isolator from Amazon as suggested in the thread. No hum on external speaker now.

HNguyenLy

Just out of curiosity, have any of you noticed that it takes something like five detent clicks of the volume dial before you start to hear scanner audio from the internal speaker? This is also the case for the headphone and speaker jacks. This does not take in to account the modulating hum that can be heard at power on without turning up the volume. Strangely, this means that the lowest monitoring level may still be too loud in some situations. I wonder if this is something that can be resolved in firmware?

cxgy2

I think the ground loop isolator is a placebo. I have many of these on my setups to eliminate ground loops (AC hum), not audio noise. They are meant to be used in "line" level outputs (~ 100 ohms), not speaker outputs (8 ohms). Because of the impedance mismatch, these are simply acting as attenuators. Everything is getting attenuated - the noise and the scanner audio. Audio attenuation is then compensated for by increasing the volume. They make "work", but are just a bandage, not a proper solution.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
mine does have a slight hum however I am trying to figure out if this is even a real issue.. I feel like its not. I am curious if some users truly have it worse then others or if its all the same and everyone interprets it differently.
based on some posted videos, it is NOT totally a perception issue. some actually have the hum louder than others. mine is low enough where you need be in a super quiet room OR with your head near the front of the scanner to hear the hum. my ham shack is NOT quiet fortunately as i also collect vintage windup clocks (wall clocks) and tick toc can be heard from 5 diff clocks. this would drive a weaker, less disciplined person mad. lol.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered one from eBay. Let's see how it is when it comes.
good luck. this is like gambling. hope you hit the jackpot and get a scanner not defective out of the box. uniden may be invested in the gaming industry and want to make gambling addicts out of us. just a thought. now begin people telling me every product is like this not just uniden and not just scanners. :p

KN4C

Just out of curiosity, have any of you noticed that it takes something like five detent clicks of the volume dial before you start to hear scanner audio from the internal speaker? This is also the case for the headphone and speaker jacks. This does not take in to account the modulating hum that can be heard at power on without turning up the volume. Strangely, this means that the lowest monitoring level may still be too loud in some situations. I wonder if this is something that can be resolved in firmware?

You must have a defective unit. I hear active traffic on my SDS200 with volume on 1.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
You must have a defective unit. I hear active traffic on my SDS200 with volume on 1.
I have the same issues, have to turn the vol up (have not counted, but a bunch) before you can hear it. then, set to 3/4 or so to make it decent. i think my 996P2 is the same way. is this a defect in the 200?

KN4C

I have the same issues, have to turn the vol up (have not counted, but a bunch) before you can hear it. then, set to 3/4 or so to make it decent. i think my 996P2 is the same way. is this a defect in the 200?

Can you hear a button press with the volume at 1?

KN4C

I can hear button press and voice traffic with the volume on 1 with both SDS100 and SDS200.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I can hear button press and voice traffic with the volume on 1 with both SDS100 and SDS200.
ok another flaw in mine. may send back. there was an ebay guy selling units with no probs. may give him a shot.

Last edited:

markjrenna

What's clear is there is a strong inconsistency with the SDS200. From perfect to a very noticeable, from a distance, hum cpu noise that emanates from it. Some or maybe one wants me to believe it's a noise from the recording device. ;) From dim lights to a display with vertical or horizontal and or pulsating dots... a stripped internal screw... having to tape it to get the cpu noise to a minimum... A filter needs to be put on the output jack so there is no hum for an external speaker. Volume level setting inconsistencies Did I miss something else?

What gets me are three things... Uniden is not saying a word other than a hum could be heard up to a foot away and that's normal. No scanner I have ever had has a hum/cpu noise. And the (other) problems that others experience is just ignored by Uniden on here publicly anyway. And people continue to roll the dice purchasing, hoping for a good one, and from vendors with restocking fees nonetheless :oops:.

Am I wrong with my assessment?

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
What's clear is there is a strong inconsistency with the SDS200. From perfect to a very noticeable, from a distance, hum cpu noise that emanates from it. Some or maybe one wants me to believe it's a noise from the recording device. ;) From dim lights to a display with vertical or horizontal and or pulsating dots... a stripped internal screw... having to tape it to get the cpu noise to a minimum... A filter needs to be put on the output jack so there is no hum for an external speaker. Volume level setting inconsistencies Did I miss something else?

What gets me are three things... Uniden is not saying a word other than a hum could be heard up to a foot away and that's normal. No scanner I have ever had has a hum/cpu noise. And the (other) problems that others experience is just ignored by Uniden on here publicly anyway. And people continue to roll the dice purchasing, hoping for a good one, and from vendors with restocking fees nonetheless :oops:.

Am I wrong with my assessment?
simple fixes - ear plugs for the speaker hum, hearing aid for volume control issue, pen light for button light issue. all would say UNIDEN on them and would also be great marketing gimmick. i should head up their marketing dept. Uniden, if you are reading, DM me for resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.