SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 “Low USB Bus Voltage”

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone found a commercially available, longer cable, e.g., 10+ ft., that works to handle the current draw?

I bought a longer 15-foot "high performance" USB 2.0 cable online and it is having the same issues. It's a 28AWG + 24 AWG gauge cable, since I needed something longer for home/desktop use.

FWIW - and while asking, anyone have a source, preferably Amazon for a micro-USB connector? I need some extension for the GPS/power cable and have a 90-degree one I'd like to use.

mymman

Premium Subscriber
After working fine, I now get the low USB voltage error which locks up my SDS100. No change in wires (I tried several) using the same Asus laptop with beefed up power on USB. Then I went to my big PC with heavy-duty USB ports. I recently built it myself. My question, other than finding a fix, is what caused this after performing so well for a month? This has effectively locked my scanner, I can't get past the error message. Note in addition to sufficient sized wires and voltage there are no heating issues, this lockup happens indoors. I am not running any betas. Thoughs? Help?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
After working fine, I now get the low USB voltage error which locks up my SDS100. No change in wires (I tried several) using the same Asus laptop with beefed up power on USB. Then I went to my big PC with heavy-duty USB ports. I recently built it myself. My question, other than finding a fix, is what caused this after performing so well for a month? This has effectively locked my scanner, I can't get past the error message. Note in addition to sufficient sized wires and voltage there are no heating issues, this lockup happens indoors. I am not running any betas. Thoughs? Help?

What is the amp output rating of your "beefed up" computer USB ports? - these radio draw more than the USB port power spec (USB 2.0 = 0.5A; USB 3.0 = 0.9A, and some dedicated charge ports are 1.5A) How low did you allow the radio battery to drain before charging? When I first got the SDS100, I used to run in plugged into my Dell laptop, which worked fine at first because I rarely had the radio off charge for any period of time. But when I first took the radio on the road, then tried to charge it from the USB port, I got the low volt error. I was able to charge it back to normal using the supplied charger. If you bricked the radio, try removing the battery for a day, then put it back in the radio, and charge with the supplied charger.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
A lot of good answers here. This message means you are not drawing enough power. if the output source is reading the proper voltage, then it would likely be the cable (and less likely the unit itself). If it's the cable, the guage or a short in the cable could cause this.

for testing the cable, I would use a more standard charging method such as a computer, just to rule out the possibility of your vehicle setup being the source of the issue.

mymman

Premium Subscriber
What is the amp output rating of your "beefed up" computer USB ports? - these radio draw more than the USB port power spec (USB 2.0 = 0.5A; USB 3.0 = 0.9A, and some dedicated charge ports are 1.5A) How low did you allow the radio battery to drain before charging? When I first got the SDS100, I used to run in plugged into my Dell laptop, which worked fine at first because I rarely had the radio off charge for any period of time. But when I first took the radio on the road, then tried to charge it from the USB port, I got the low volt error. I was able to charge it back to normal using the supplied charger. If you bricked the radio, try removing the battery for a day, then put it back in the radio, and charge with the supplied charger.

The laptop, while plugged in, delivers up to 2.5+A from the Fast Charge 3.1 port. The voltage is 5.04-5.10.. Your second question went a long way to solving my problem: After an overnight charge from the AC brick AND choosing the shortest, thickest cable in the house, I was able to get the computer to see the scanner and did not get the low voltage message.

I have one of those USB voltage and amp checkers but the USB100 did not like going through that device. It wanted to be connected directly to a USB post.

My PC has USB 2.n, 3.0, 3.1 and even a special USB port to flash the BIOS. That one has very good specs but I have not tried it with the short cable used on the laptop. I will go back and try a fully-charged scanner with a regular cable to narrow down which solved my problem.

THANK YOU for your help.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The laptop, while plugged in, delivers up to 2.5+A from the Fast Charge 3.1 port. The voltage is 5.04-5.10.. Your second question went a long way to solving my problem: After an overnight charge from the AC brick AND choosing the shortest, thickest cable in the house, I was able to get the computer to see the scanner and did not get the low voltage message.

I have one of those USB voltage and amp checkers but the USB100 did not like going through that device. It wanted to be connected directly to a USB post.

My PC has USB 2.n, 3.0, 3.1 and even a special USB port to flash the BIOS. That one has very good specs but I have not tried it with the short cable used on the laptop. I will go back and try a fully-charged scanner with a regular cable to narrow down which solved my problem.

THANK YOU for your help.

Glad you got it working again. I replaced my USB cable with a 6' 20AWG USB cable. I charge the radio from a USB equipped wall outlet at home. My Jeep has USB ports that (allegedly) provide enough power to charge an iPad / iPhone, so I'm thinking ~2.1A. I only have trouble charging the SDS100 from the Jeep when the outside temperature is >85F or so (and I leave it in the Jeep when the A/C is off.)

Status
Not open for further replies.