SDS100-200 and DMR/NXDN One Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Since I have the SDS200 (3-4 weeks), I've noticed so so many times that my 536 was stoppping and picking-up transmissions on Single Frequency (both DMR and NXDN) but the SDS100 and SDS200 were simply passing over these without stopping even when transmission were ongoing on the 536. This is the case for One Frequency programmed both in conventionnal system as well as One Frequency DMR/NXDN system.

So I did this test:
- Exact same programming in the SDS100, SDS200 and BCD536HP.
- Only one FL is activated, it contains 5 systems.
- The signal of the service that was the subject of the test is the same on the 3 radios
- Squelch is the same on the 3 radios (2)
- The service is a DMR (One Frequency)
- It is programmed in conventionnal in one of the system and also has its own system activated as DMR (Single Frequency)

During the 10 minutes of the test there was transmissions only from this service.
Within this period; I have 24 transmissions recorded on the 536 and only SIX recorded with the SDS100 and SDS200.
Very often I heard transmission on the 536 that were not picked-up by both SDS100 and 200; they were simply passing over ...

I have roughly 40-45 Single Frequency services and the problem appears to be generalized for both DMR/NXDN (and very disappointing)

Any ideas, suggestions, comments ?

Sincerely

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Since I have the SDS200 (3-4 weeks), I've noticed so so many times that my 536 was stoppping and picking-up transmissions on Single Frequency (both DMR and NXDN) but the SDS100 and SDS200 were simply passing over these without stopping even when transmission were ongoing on the 536. This is the case for One Frequency programmed both in conventionnal system as well as One Frequency DMR/NXDN system.

So I did this test:
- Exact same programming in the SDS100, SDS200 and BCD536HP.
- Only one FL is activated, it contains 5 systems.
- The signal of the service that was the subject of the test is the same on the 3 radios
- Squelch is the same on the 3 radios (2)
- The service is a DMR (One Frequency)
- It is programmed in conventionnal in one of the system and also has its own system activated as DMR (Single Frequency)

During the 10 minutes of the test there was transmissions only from this service.
Within this period; I have 24 transmissions recorded on the 536 and only SIX recorded with the SDS100 and SDS200.
Very often I heard transmission on the 536 that were not picked-up by both SDS100 and 200; they were simply passing over ...

I have roughly 40-45 Single Frequency services and the problem appears to be generalized for both DMR/NXDN (and very disappointing)

Any ideas, suggestions, comments ?

Sincerely

I posted on this issue in the past: https://forums.radioreference.com/t...ency-vs-conventional-nxdn-programming.379908/

I had very similar results between my 536 and the SDS 100. Hoping a future firmware upgrade will address the issue.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
I posted on this issue in the past: https://forums.radioreference.com/t...ency-vs-conventional-nxdn-programming.379908/

I had very similar results between my 536 and the SDS 100. Hoping a future firmware upgrade will address the issue.

Thank you for your response - I just read your thread; answers are going in various directions
I wish to reiterate that I am experiencing this problem on both SDS100 and SDS200 and with both DMR and NXDN One Frequency
I basically obtain between 20-30% of the transmissions captured by the BCD536HP

I have the SDS100 since june 2018 but I didn't really noticed the problem since I carry it in the car and didnt make comparison
Its only when I received my SDS200 (3-4 weeks ago) that this problem became obvious; its so severe and evident.

At the price level paid for these 2 scanners, I think it is reasonnable to expect DMR/NXDN Single Frequency to be at least at the 436/536 level
The performance is so poor; this must be fixed ASAP

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your response - I just read your thread; answers are going in various directions
I wish to reiterate that I am experiencing this problem on both SDS100 and SDS200 and with both DMR and NXDN One Frequency
I basically obtain between 20-30% of the transmissions captured by the BCD536HP

I have the SDS100 since june 2018 but I didn't really noticed the problem since I carry it in the car and didnt make comparison
Its only when I received my SDS200 (3-4 weeks ago) that this problem became obvious; its so severe and evident.

At the price level paid for these 2 scanners, I think it is reasonnable to expect DMR/NXDN Single Frequency to be at least at the 436/536 level
The performance is so poor; this must be fixed ASAP

I understand your frustration as I also have an SDS 200 as well as an SDS 100 and two 536hp's. My unscientific testing was simple too, I just held on the frequencies/systems in questions and the SDS 200 was silent and the 536 was picking up traffic, as you also have experienced. The SDS 100/200 does not have issues with stronger signals with these two formats, but simplex is problematic. Same antenna, filter adjustments, IFX adjustments didn't help. I understand your frustration and hoping firmware fixes resolve the issues we're having.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
52594382_1781250348641308_99105678865465344_n.jpg
I understand your frustration and hoping firmware fixes resolve the issues we're having.
Yes I am really frustrated because DMR and NXDN Single Frequency are an important part of my monitoring.
I monitor roughly 32 fire dept using DMR / NXDN Single Frequency, I spent over $2,000 (CDA) for 2 Scanners with wonderful display but they totally fail in their primary task which is to provide me with audio.
I have BCD436HP and BCD536HP so I bought these new units with the minimum expectation that they would at least be at the 436/536 level but they are a joke.

This is the "visual" results of the test I did yesterday - This is 8 minutes (exact same conditions and programming for the 536, SDS100 and SDS200)
The 536 picked-up 24 transmissions while the 2 failures picked-up only 6

52594382_1781250348641308_99105678865465344_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.