SDS100 and Ham Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1955

That baofeng also scans brutally slow cannot receive aircraft etc. Also you have talked up how much you liked the 125at many times so please make up you're mind.
mule1075, Yes I do LIKE the Bearcat BC-125 AT BUT when put side by side with the Baofeng UV-82(just sold that too), the CLEAR winner is the latter. I'm FULLY aware that the Baofeng is a transceiver and ONLY scans 3 channels per second. I only use that for fire scenes/fire ground/police.
Have a great weekend.

fluke281

I do not call it waste of money at all. As has been stated, the primary goal of the SDS radios is to listen to digital trunking systems, which it does marvelously. I was just curious if other observed the same thing I did on VHF analog. It makes sense that an I&Q quadature detector (I assume that is what is using) is not going be the best thing for demodulating analog FM signals.

No complaints here.

73"s
Scott
I am not impressed with the VHF or UHF FM performance of Whistler scanners. I have an old uniden BC796D and it does fine with analog FM since it was the early APCO 25 that did not produce expected results in digital. I did not have much luck with the 996XT on digital, though. The SDS-100 is most impressive on digital.

fluke281

I am not impressed with the VHF or UHF FM performance of Whistler scanners. I have an old uniden BC796D and it does fine with analog FM since it was the early APCO 25 that did not produce expected results in digital. I did not have much luck with the 996XT on digital, though. The SDS-100 is most impressive on digital. I am an extra class ham with lots of radios.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
That baofeng also scans brutally slow cannot receive aircraft etc. Also you have talked up how much you liked the 125at many times so please make up you're mind.
An analog scanner that can't receive civilian or military air, has 128 channels, lacks coverage above UHF, and scans at a snail's pace, is a lousy scanner in 2019. It would have been a cheap second rate scanner 30 years ago for that matter.

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Soooo.... This being an IQ based scanner, optimized for digital, can we ever expect to see D-Star or Tetra digital modes on these things?

fluke281

An analog scanner that can't receive civilian or military air, has 128 channels, lacks coverage above UHF, and scans at a snail's pace, is a lousy scanner in 2019. It would have been a cheap second rate scanner 30 years ago for that matter.
Honestly, there are only a handful of analog frequencies left around here so that slow scanning is not a problem. I am not saying that a Baofeng is a complete scanner but when I run one in the car next to my Whistler and Unidens, it does a better job of catching analog signals. So does my TYT 8600.

Status
Not open for further replies.