SDS100 Antenna Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
I just received and set up my new SDS100.

Many of my SMA antennas do not fit. The antennas are larger at the base than fit into the recessed area of the scanner. This includes my Diamond SRH77CA, Watson WSMA-881 and even my BCD436HP Antenna.

Is there a flaw in the design? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Randy

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber

Many of my SMA antennas do not fit. The antennas are larger at the base than fit into the recessed area of the scanner. This includes my Diamond SRH77CA, Watson WSMA-881 and even my BCD436HP Antenna.
Thanks,
Randy
No this is a side effect of the water resistant design of the SDS100. Perhaps someone can find a low profile male-to-female SMA adapter that fits on this scanner that will allow any SMA antenna to work on it. In the meantime you can use the included SMA to BNC adapter with BNC antennas.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

Thanks,
Randy

I would say that the loss of using SMA antennas was not worth the JIS4 (IPX4) standard.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know where I can find a similar BNC to SMA connector like the one that comes with the SDS-100. Searched Amazon and don't see anything similar.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Don't use those. They have no shoulder or lateral support like the Uniden adapters, and put all lateral strain on the SMA connector. If you use that adapter to mount an antenna you're far more likely to break the connector. Keep the factory adapter on the radio, and switch BNC antennas. Your scanner will thank you.

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone.

From my POV this is a design flaw. Maybe it is related to making the scanner water resistant but the recessed area could have been wider so that most SMA antennas would still fit.

I don't mind spending money on a scanner, but I don't feel good about having to replace perfectly good SMA antennas (I have 8) with BNC antennas because my SMA antennas don't fit on an SMA scanner.

RogueSteward

I wouldn't trust any extender whatsoever. Not only will it reduce signal strength, albeit slightly, it unnecessarily extends the antenna.

It does sound like a design mistake. This would upset me a lot too. My suggestion is to compile a list of antennas that fit and stick to those.

Good luck.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You should be using BNC anyway. Changing SMA antennas puts more wear on the connector because your screwing and unscrewing the connector vs. the straight in/out push/pull of the BNC. BNC also puts the wear on the adapter, rather than the connector, so if you do wear out the adapter, you can replace it without having to send the scanner in for service.

And changing BNC is faster and easier than SMA--push and twist 1/4-turn, vs aligning and carefully tightening the threads to avoid cross-threading.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Just curious...is the SMA to BNC that comes with the SDS the same type as the one that came with the 436? Would rather keep the SDS one in the box as a backup

RF23

Premium Subscriber
No, and the adapter for the 436 will not work on the SDS100.

AvidHiker

I also hate these clunky adapters - I've done many an antenna swap on my nearly 20 YEAR old ICOM IC-R2 with absolutely zero signs of "wear" on the SMA connector.

Additionally, while I understand it loosens up a bit with use, this suggestion to just use BNC antennas to save the SMA connector seems impractical to me (and that's being kind). I can't remove a BNC antenna from the SDS100 without unscrewing the adapter, and I have my doubts that will ever be possible. You'd have to use a reverse-threaded connection to make this adapter work in the way you suggest.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see the SDS100 included adapter to have a larger diameter knurled area; removing a BNC antenna from the adapter is difficult without unscrewing it. My fingers are too fat to grip it effectively. ;)

davedecember

SMA antenna

I have attached the Watson WSMA-881 antenna to my SDS100 and it works perfectly. It is quite secure and receives very well. The base of the antenna bottom fits perfectly but does not extend fully into the SDS100 base so the water resistance will not be up to par but still receives without any issue. I do not use this scanner in the rain so I have no concerns.
If I do I will switch back to the stock antenna. The Watson antenna is available at Scannermaster.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
You should be using BNC anyway. Changing SMA antennas puts more wear on the connector because your screwing and unscrewing the connector vs. the straight in/out push/pull of the BNC. BNC also puts the wear on the adapter, rather than the connector, so if you do wear out the adapter, you can replace it without having to send the scanner in for service.

And changing BNC is faster and easier than SMA--push and twist 1/4-turn, vs aligning and carefully tightening the threads to avoid cross-threading.

Unless you super-tighten the SMA->BNC adaptor and locktite it, it will quickly just want to come out when you are removing the BNC connector. And the adapter is so short that I can't manage to get my thumb and index finger on the adapter to hold it while I remove a BNC. There is nothing faster about that. It's a pain in the ***. Water resistant with a hole in the back? Glad I didn't buy it for its water-resistant characteristics.

Mike

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
From my POV this is a design flaw.

Nope. Not a design flaw at all.

Maybe it is related to making the scanner water resistant

It is indeed related to the JIS4/IPX4 certification.

Folks wanted a more rugged scanner. Uniden came out with one in the SDS100 and had to make necessary case modifications to achieve the JIS4 certification.

Marshall KE4ZNR

bmdoss

Premium Subscriber
Unless you super-tighten the SMA->BNC adaptor and locktite it, it will quickly just want to come out when you are removing the BNC connector. And the adapter is so short that I can't manage to get my thumb and index finger on the adapter to hold it while I remove a BNC. There is nothing faster about that. It's a pain in the ***. Water resistant with a hole in the back? Glad I didn't buy it for its water-resistant characteristics.

Mike

I am tinkering with the idea of putting a little blue locktite on it myself...

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
I have attached the Watson WSMA-881 antenna to my SDS100 and it works perfectly. It is quite secure and receives very well. The base of the antenna bottom fits perfectly but does not extend fully into the SDS100 base so the water resistance will not be up to par but still receives without any issue. I do not use this scanner in the rain so I have no concerns.
If I do I will switch back to the stock antenna. The Watson antenna is available at Scannermaster.

Hi Dave,

When I attach my Watson WSMA-881 It will only screw down 1/4 turn before it bottoms out. With the stock antenna I can screw it down 6 turns.

Do you get more than 1/4 turn with your Watson?

Randy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.