SDS100 external speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone found a. Amplified external speaker which could be used indoors, an has a non bass crisp clear sound?

I’ve tried two different Bose speakers to no avail, to deep and heavy bass.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
No, it is designed for mobile use. I have it hooked ito a 12V regulated power supply that is feeding some other radios

denrodg

Doesn't play well with others
Banned
Has anyone found a. Amplified external speaker which could be used indoors, an has a non bass crisp clear sound?

I’ve tried two different Bose speakers to no avail, to deep and heavy bass.

I use a Bluetooth speaker for my SDS 100, it has a 3.5 mm jack on the speaker and of course the 3.5 mm on the scanner, I have a cable with 3.5 mm at both ends and just plug it to both and boom, instant portable amplified speaker, I like how it sounds and it does a great job.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Yes, my Bose speakers are bluetooth, but a little bit to bass'y for me especially on NJSP smart zone channels.

Would be great if Uniden would develop an external amplified speaker USB powered for the 436HP and the SDS100!

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Any PC speakers work well also.
I personally like a little more bass then the scratchy sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubbe

Get a speaker that have both bass and treble controls. That way you can tweek the sound any way you like it. Don't buy expensive ham gear speakers. You can get a sound mixer at less than half that cost and will have many more ways to adjust the sound character and will have more inputs to connect more scanners and sound sources. I have listened to several expensive ham gear speakers and there's nothing special about them except the price.

/Ubbe

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Take a look (in my Shack Photos) at the pic of my SDS100 scanner and the speakers I have for it, the Inland Pro-Sound 2000 Multi-Media speakers. I think these are awesome amplified speakers, the sound is full and rich with not too much bass and they have a headphone outlet on the master speaker as well. You can't beat these wonderful speakers at their price - under $20 on eBay. Got mine for $16 free shipping and liked them so much I bought another pair for my laptop. Love these speakers!!

JD
kf4anc

Last edited:

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Take a look (in my Shack Photos) at the pic of my SDS100 scanner and the speakers I have for it, the Inland Pro-Sound 2000 Multi-Media speakers. I think these are awesome amplified speakers, the sound is full and rich with not too much bass and they have a headphone outlet on the master speaker as well. You can't beat these wonderful speakers at their price - under $20 on eBay. Got mine for $16 free shipping and liked them so much I bought another pair for my laptop. Love these speakers!!
JDkf4anc

Thank you, those Inland Pro-Sound 2000 Multi-Media speakers look great. Are they powered by a USB source?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Nope regular 12v with on/off switch and red indicator light.

I forgot to mention they are 100-watt and magnetically shielded too. I believe Amazon carries them now for $16

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Pfft, what I meant, regular 110v outlet. Didn't mean to confuse. Have 12v adapter on my mind today. Thanks for that budevans. Actually, I think it was you where I heard about these speakers in the first place. Can't thank you enough.

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Following...
My use is exclusively for mobile with a polished interior install.
I have fashioned a dual speaker mount to the headrest of my automobile seat. I’m using the DX Engineering DXE281 for both left and right - one is fed from IC-4100 and the other from the SDS100.
Looks quite professional - used 3-4” aluminum angle iron, black satin paint, proper grommets to accommodate headrest posts for snug fit, and end caps.

What I’ve noticed is muffled voices though very good volume (it’s 6 inches slightly behind and next to my ear) with the SDS100 in particular. The DXE281 speakers do very well with all other receivers and transceivers I’ve tested, so I began looking for amplified and DSP options for the SDS100 to replace the DXE281 on my right side of headrest mount.

Tried the Boom Cloud Boom Stick in-line with terrible results... amplified and contoured the sound but put in a lot of “static”. Tested with other receivers and this did not happen btw. Something with the DSP and the SDS100 does not play well.

The West Mountain Clear Speech DSP is an expensive but available option to me.... going to try that next. A bit larger than I want though.

Thinking about the West Mountain ClearSpeech DSP Processor in-line with the DXE281 to see if that overcomes whatever is going in with the muffling from the SDS100 output on the DXE281. It amplifies, too.

Next, if that fails... Might try that bhi Ltd NES10-2MK3

Ideally, I’d like a USB powered amplified / DSP option with auto shut-off. The automobile is kitted with secondary Optima battery and PowerPole distribution, so the West Mountain and bhi may be best bets and 12v feed not a problem.

Comparatively, the quality of the Unication G5 speaker is amazing for its size and better than the sound quality of the native SDS100 speaker... IMHO.

Keep up the info share! Having trouble finding small, high quality audio with amplified speaker options. Also, looking for dash mountable, small mono mixer to feed alternate audio sources to both!

Regards,

cognetic

radio3353

Nope regular 12v with on/off switch and red indicator light.

I forgot to mention they are 100-watt and magnetically shielded too. I believe Amazon carries them now for $16

Hmmm... 100-watt amplifier with speakers for $16.

In reality, that 100-watt spec is PMPO, not RMS. PMPO is just a bit of marketing hyperbole. My guess would be about 5-watt RMS for those speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.