SDS100 Review From The Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

joerobb23

allof these comments about scanners in cars is nice. But has anyone tested a sds100 in Rockland county transmitting from nyc especially fdny fdny dars & nyc 800m i need to know how these are received. Thank You.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Looking at the distance, you'll probably need a really good outdoor antenna setup. It doesn't look like any handheld scanner with a whip antenna is going to get reliable reception.

K9JLR

Mine has performed quite well on the road storm chasing the past few weeks. So far, I've monitored a variety of P25 and DMR systems in KS, NE, CO, WY, SD and MT. It handled the simulcast sites in the Denver metro and KC area (P25 phase I mostly), and it has done reasonable well on analog too. I got pelted with some rain and hail filming the tornado below for over 15 minutes, with the SDS on my side, and it was untarnished and continued receiving analog and digital traffic in rural Carter County, MT and Butte County, SD (there are pretty remote areas) - I didn't think to have its portrait taken in FRONT of the storm, maybe next time. I don't have my 536HP with me to compare side by side on the road, but with the last beta firmware update, the initial issue of cutting out some transmissions on P25 seems a non-issue since. We'll see how it does on some of the Canadian systems next week.

Attachments

• tor7.jpg
    tor7.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 165
Status
Not open for further replies.