SDS100/SDS200/BCDx36HP Sentinel Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Just posted firmware for the SDS100 and SDS200, plus a new version of Sentinel that includes the functions added by the update. As usual for public releases, these updates are applied using Sentinel.

1.02.01 Sub / 1.08.05 Main (3/7/2019)
Be sure to also update Sentinel when applying this update.
This firmware update applies the following new settings and bug fixes:

• Added an "AMP OFF Timer" setting that determines how long the amplifier stays on after a transmission ends. If you hear hum between transmissions, change this from Infinite to one of the available settings.
  • Added "Wide Normal", "Wide Invert" and "Wide Auto" filter options for FM performance improvement. When you pick this setting, the filter becomes weaker for interference on a nearby frequency. However, the linearity of the IF can be maintained even when there is strong interference within the band, and the reception may be improved in some cases.
  • Added an option to display the filter setting when customizing the display.
  • Improved a reception dropout issue where dropouts are often accompanied by "LINK" icon appearing at start of dropout.
  • Improved crackling noise on analog.
  • Improved the reports that some REC files created have no audio captured at replay.
  • Added a prompt to exit certain modes.

DataSquid

"Added an "AMP OFF Timer" setting that determines how long the amplifier stays on after a transmission ends. If you hear hum between transmissions, change this from Infinite to one of the available settings."

This worked well. My unit had moderate hum initially. The "shift and tighten" method helped. The interim foil method helped a bit more. I've held off ordering the part until people in worse shape get theirs. With this feature enabled it's pretty good. Things like data activity on a DMR system that I think is wrong in the DB (entered as conventional but I think it's actually CAP+ or OFT) will still trigger the amp even when there's no audio decoded. So I'll probably soon be tidying these up in my FLs, finally :)

To help others in finding it: The menu item is under Settings -> Set Audio Off Time. A little different than in the description quoted above. Time settings range from 100ms up to 30s (and the previous only option of Infinite which is selected by default).

I'm curious about the range of options available. Is there an advantage to not having the amp cycle quickly/often? I.e. to try and match it to the typical delay time so it's not activating each transmission?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Some people like being irritated, but only up to a point. The settings allow you to set the length of the hum to just under your personal breaking point.

Actually, there was some concern that there could be start of comm clipping, but we've not noted any at all. The longer settings were to minimize clipping of quick replies. Keeping the settings in there are free.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thanks Paul. I just added the part to one of my SDS200's and it made a significant difference. The firmware will also be quite an improvement. I use my scanners to feed sound systems at fire department events and the level of the tone is almost tolerable now. I have to run the scanner at a high output level to minimize the noise. The tone is at a constant level, independent of the volume control. I believe that tone would probably a more appropriate term than hum since we are not dealing with a power supply ripple frequency. Your engineers could probably digitally subtract the tone from the audio output using firmware since it is at a constant frequency from what I guess are the refresh signals to the display. Incidentally, the audio from the headphone jack on my SDS100 is excellent for feeding my mixer. Perfectly quiet! Thanks again for all of your help. I just realized that I should have posted this on the hum thread. I apologize for my error. Jim.

Last edited:

NM1D

Thanks for this update!

On the SDS100, I don't see any option for the Audio OFF (AMP OFF Timer nor Settings -> Set Audio Off Time).

It's also 'greyed out' in Sentinel (Shows as 'infinite').

So I'll assume that this 'feature' is only for the SDS200. I didn't see that mentioned in the release notes.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Thanks for this update!

On the SDS100, I don't see any option for the Audio OFF (AMP OFF Timer nor Settings -> Set Audio Off Time).

It's also 'greyed out' in Sentinel (Shows as 'infinite').

So I'll assume that this 'feature' is only for the SDS200. I didn't see that mentioned in the release notes.

I don't own either one, but seeing how the "hum" only affected the SDS200 I wouldn't expect the see the option in the SDS100...but I could be wrong.

teknishun

Just posted firmware for the SDS100 and SDS200, plus a new version of Sentinel that includes the functions added by the update. As usual for public releases, these updates are applied using Sentinel.

......(snip).......
  • Added "Wide Normal", "Wide Invert" and "Wide Auto" filter options for FM performance improvement. When you pick this setting, the filter becomes weaker for interference on a nearby frequency. However, the linearity of the IF can be maintained even when there is strong interference within the band, and the reception may be improved in some cases.
  • QUOTE]

Wide Normal works great on SDS100 FM broadcast band. What a major improvement over before. Commercial FM
now sounds like FM is supposed to sound. Outstanding performance considering the smaller speaker in the
SDS100 was not designed to play music per se.

ColdnFrosty

• Added an "AMP OFF Timer" setting that determines how long the amplifier stays on after a transmission ends. If you hear hum between transmissions, change this from Infinite to one of the available settings.
  • Added an option to display the filter setting when customizing the display.
  • Improved a reception dropout issue where dropouts are often accompanied by "LINK" icon appearing at start of dropout.
  • Improved crackling noise on analog.
  • Improved the reports that some REC files created have no audio captured at replay.
  • Added a prompt to exit certain modes.

K9JLR

I am only seeing BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_2_01_03.zip on the website which is what I have had installed for a couple of weeks.

Sentinel 2.02.01 appears right at the top when I go to the BCDx36HPS Sentinel Wiki.
Also, you should get a prompt in Sentinel to update to the latest version if you open the program and attempt to update the master database, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.