SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Stopped picking up any signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Well, if they really take 'em as they come, I should be hearing from them anytime now.
My guess is Monday. UPMan said a few posts ago they may lost a few days because of inventory. They have had it 23 working days so if the lost 3 days because of inventory they are right on point of the normal turn around time.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
So I'm guessing the SDS 100 is still worth buying at $649.00 although it has major issues? So what's ya take is it worth $649.00 or $149.00

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
So I'm guessing the SDS 100 is still worth buying at $649.00 although it has major issues? So what's ya take is it worth $649.00 or $149.00

Most issues have been rectified. Is worth $649 to me it was but it is a decision you have to make. If you don't like it return it or sell it it is just that simple.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You are posting in a thread where 2 (I think only 2 but could be 3) people have a repair issue. Yes, for them this is major, but I would not use these 2 (or maybe 3) reports as the basis for saying the SDS100 has major issues. (Yes, more than 2 or 3 have been sent in for repair, but not any kind of "epidemic" repair issue).

Repair is, unfortunatly, a necessary part of product life. Some things break, either due to an undetected manufacturing fault or some other reason.

starsty96

I would go with what UpMan said on this. For me personally it was a dent in the pocket but it was for something I really enjoy. I wish personally that the warranty on repaired items was longer, then I would say that my original purchase was well worth it. Right now if something goes wrong after my extended repair warranty, it’s out of my pocket which could be expensive. I’m not a huge fan of the 90 day thing. Should be an extra year.

RadioSc

So the SDS 100 is worth it. One more question can a Uniden owner of a SDS 100. tell me since the first day they bought it. How many times have it been sent in for repairs. I own an older model of the Uniden XT models and haven't sent it in once since 2013. Its acting funny lately auto unlocking all my systems. But other than that love it

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
None of the 5 or so units I use at the office have ever needed repair. I have seen a couple of people who needed a 2nd repair...I believe in those cases the problem report was "cold solder joint" on the first trip in and the units were replaced completely upon receipt the 2nd time. We are evaluating what to do in the future on first trip in if CSJ is the issue, but don't have enough data, yet (not that many units have come in where that was the fix).

mule1075

Feed Provider
So the SDS 100 is worth it. One more question can a Uniden owner of a SDS 100. tell me since the first day they bought it. How many times have it been sent in for repairs. I own an older model of the Uniden XT models and haven't sent it in once since 2013. Its acting funny lately auto unlocking all my systems. But other than that love it

Mine is a 1st run unit and has not been in for repair.

starsty96

None of the 5 or so units I use at the office have ever needed repair. I have seen a couple of people who needed a 2nd repair...I believe in those cases the problem report was "cold solder joint" on the first trip in and the units were replaced completely upon receipt the 2nd time. We are evaluating what to do in the future on first trip in if CSJ is the issue, but don't have enough data, yet (not that many units have come in where that was the fix).
This is what makes me nervous since that’s what was just repaired on mine. I am dreading the fact that it may have to go in a second time. If it does have to go back I am hoping you guys will just replace the entire unit, because it’s not worth fixing again in my eyes.

Cantafordit

Hi everybody, I was really hoping to come on here and find that a reset or a beta firmware update (or something like that) would fix my SDS100. It's doing the stop at every stored frequency with an RSSI of -40 thing. I have also had the "Cold Solder Joint" repair done on my unit but to make matters worse, I live in Ireland so I have to ship it to Texas for repair, then Uniden will not ship it outside of the US so I have to get them to ship it to a parcel forwarder in New Jersey, I then have to pay them to ship it back to Ireland. I also purchased all the updates for the sds100, so to date this scanner has cost me close to $1200 and now it looks like I will have to ship it back to Texas again. This is my first Uniden scanner and so far I am not very impressed. Right now I have more faith in my very old Realistic Pro 26 and Radioshack pro 106 than I do in the sds100.
I think I will ask Uniden to replace it this time and see how I get on. I'm not sure if it matters but mine is one of the early ones that shipped with the small battery pack and the larger battery was sent out later.

Last edited:

starsty96

Update 4/7/19 - Radio is picking the signals up but now sounds absolutely terrible... it was working good yesterday with some noticeable hiccups in reception, but now today my analog is completely unlistenable (very high pitch whine and static)
My p25 systems are somewhat understandable, however it cuts in and out ever half a second or so and makes listening very difficult.
I also am losing signal like I did the very first time (original issue)
Note: it was never like this before my original issue when I sent it in.
I feel like I had one problem solved only to have another come up. I’m very disappointed.

Yes I have messed with the settings and have had no change in quality.
My other radios pick the exact same systems up with no issues.

woodpecker

I live in Ireland so I have to ship it to Texas for repair, then Uniden will not ship it outside of the US so I have to get them to ship it to a parcel forwarder in New Jersey, I then have to pay them to ship it back to Ireland.

If you really wanted an SDS100 then the E version would have been better option for you, that said, a scanner optimised for P25 simulcast with poor performance on other modes isn't really much use in Ireland or anywhere else in Europe.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My guess is Monday. UPMan said a few posts ago they may lost a few days because of inventory. They have had it 23 working days so if the lost 3 days because of inventory they are right on point of the normal turn around time.
You nailed it. I went online and it's "In line to be shipped." The problem was that infamous cold solder joint.

starsty96

You nailed it. I went online and it's "In line to be shipped." The problem was that infamous cold solder joint.
Awesome. I hope you don’t have the same problems I do. My radio was working great the first day back and now it’s starting to do everything over again. I’m extremely dissatisfied and disappointed in uniden right now. I would rather have a new radio than deal with this again.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I hope you didn't jinx mine by bringing that up. :)

RadioSc

I think the problem with the SDS 100 is. It's not labeled as Bearcat Uniden Scanner (BCD). Its labeled as Software Defined Radio or Scanner (SDS). Bearcat bcd was mostly programmed by user input and not software. BCD User input find and import 80%. Software load to scanner 20%. SDS User input type in zipcode and import 3%. Software preloaded with True I/Q load and scan 97%

mule1075

Feed Provider
I think the problem with the SDS 100 is. It's not labeled as Bearcat Uniden Scanner (BCD). Its labeled as Software Defined Radio or Scanner (SDS). Bearcat bcd was mostly programmed by user input and not software. BCD User input find and import 80%. Software load to scanner 20%. SDS User input type in zipcode and import 3%. Software preloaded with True I/Q load and scan 97%

Makes no difference whatsoever it is the same database technology as all of the HP models. It is just a model number no more no less. And it even says uniden bearcat on the scanner itself so it is most definitely labeled a uniden bearcat scanner.

Last edited:

RadioSc

I think the True I/Q in the scanner is so advanced that it's trying to pick up cellular band communications. And since it's illegal to pick up cellular band on a scanner the SDS just goes mute not picking up anything. The FCC probably mandated it to shut down if was capable of getting interference or interfering with the cellular band. And eventually wears on parts on the motherboard. It's too advanced because its scans everything. And pin points to your location by True I/Q for you to be connected to the nearest site tower just like a cell phone

mule1075

Feed Provider
I think the True I/Q in the scanner is so advanced that it's trying to pick up cellular band communications. And since it's illegal to pick up cellular band on a scanner the SDS just goes mute not picking up anything. The FCC probably mandated it to shut down if was capable of getting interference or interfering with the cellular band. And eventually wears on parts on the motherboard. It's too advanced because its scans everything. And pin points to your location by True I/Q for you to be connected to the nearest site tower just like a cell phone

Nope highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.