sds100 vs TX1

Status
Not open for further replies.

captncarp

I have been using both of these for general listening of public safety, vhf l/h+800EDAC. Both tabletop and mobile.
Nothing scientific but I do enjoy listening to the TRX1 the most for several reasons.

Others thoughts on these two radios?

DMC

Last edited:

safetyobc

I would like to hear your reasons.

I don't have the TRX1 but the SDS100 is a great radio. I get good reception with mine and the SCREEN! Love the screen.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have both and use them in tandem for the areas I go to. I let the SDS work my area simulcast trunk systems, and the TRX-1 for everything else. I recently added the BC125AT to my collection strictly for airport frequencies and lots of milair at the base here. Extremely satisfied with all three when I am out and about.

I have recently been wondering what a good wideband companion to the SDS100 would be and I am focused on the Icom IC-R30. I like what I am hearing about it, but let's stay on topic lol.

I think the perfect handheld scanner duo is the SDS100 and the TRX-1. I hear it all unless it's encrypted. Fantastic radios!

JD
kf4anc

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
captncarp - I just have a RS Pro-668 (WH 1080) and a ICOM R30. the 668 scans really well for both Analog and Digital. and for the most part Simulcast Distortion on P25 II is a non issue for me. but I understand the Uniden SDS100 receives Phase II simulcast better. that's why I bought a ICOM R30 because it has a Superior Tuner for Phase II (ICOM R30 does NOT do Trunking ) but it can still Listen to transmissions and it RESCANS very FAST, 200 Ch a second. so its EASY to listen to Digital Trunking w/o Trunktracking. I'm using my OLD 668 as a scanner for police mostly but am Really considering getting the NEW Whistler TRX-100 coming soon in Q1 , I hope.
I recently purchased the ICOM R30 to listen to NXDN and Phase II in the meantime , waiting for the TRX-100. I consider the Whistler scanners a BETTER value overall as the Scanner works out of the BOX, no "upgrades" to buy from Uniden. and Trunktracking is NOT a deal breaker for me , as I know the work around for Trunktracking.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As long as you understand before you buy and as long as what you buy meets your needs is the main point. But for me my TRX1 and TRX2 sit unused now that my X36's and SDS100 work and track NXDN DMR and P25 systems. My Unidens out hear my Whistlers in my listening area I should sell my Whistlers and PRO668 and Pro18 but never pushed the idea very hard but this is just me. Others have different thoughts and that is fine. One thing to remember this hobby is no longer a 1 scanner hobby as I run 13 on my desktop all on Proscan logging data.

safetyobc

captncarp - I just have a RS Pro-668 (WH 1080) and a ICOM R30. the 668 scans really well for both Analog and Digital. and for the most part Simulcast Distortion on P25 II is a non issue for me. but I understand the Uniden SDS100 receives Phase II simulcast better. that's why I bought a ICOM R30 because it has a Superior Tuner for Phase II (ICOM R30 does NOT do Trunking ) but it can still Listen to transmissions and it RESCANS very FAST, 200 Ch a second. so its EASY to listen to Digital Trunking w/o Trunktracking. I'm using my OLD 668 as a scanner for police mostly but am Really considering getting the NEW Whistler TRX-100 coming soon in Q1 , I hope.
I recently purchased the ICOM R30 to listen to NXDN and Phase II in the meantime , waiting for the TRX-100. I consider the Whistler scanners a BETTER value overall as the Scanner works out of the BOX, no "upgrades" to buy from Uniden. and Trunktracking is NOT a deal breaker for me , as I know the work around for Trunktracking.

I thought the R30 would only do Phase 1? That's cool it can do Phase II as well.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I've given up on the Whistler TRX scanners, they cannot even fix what would seem to be a simple problem with the squelch tail in analog mode. Pathetic.

questnz

Not fair to compare, TRX-1 is two and half years old, SDS100 6 months old with latest technology implemented. Better wait for TRX-100 then compare two.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

I thought the R30 would only do Phase 1? That's cool it can do Phase II as well.
The R30 cannot do P25 Phase II. That would require a trunking scanner to receive. Note that ICOM's website only references P25 Phase I, which the R30 could receive as conventional frequencies. It is not a trunking receiver.

If you are using the R30 to receive anything from a trunked system labeled in the database as "P25 Phase II", then you are listening conventionally, via a voice channel, to a P25 Phase I talkgroup being transmitted in the Phase I format. Many systems are listed as being Phase II, but that is because they are capable of that format. For a great many of these systems, many, if not all, of the talkgroups in use are P25 Phase I, as noted by the D in the mode column.

hardsuit

questnz - you are wrong about the SDS100. the Radios is the SAME Decades OLD base radios as the 436 but adds a SDR chipset. the base Radio - check frequency bands, is the very same. just for certain bands , likely just VHF/UHF 700 and 800 Mhz is SDR used , If Uniden would give US the Specs on its SDR then we could confirm this, IE - the ICOM uses a SDR chipset for just A - band = 100 khz - 821 / 851 - 866 / and 896 - 3304 this is likely the Coventional Super HET receiver , then B- band = 108 - 520 likely SDR. and the SDS100 uses the same TECH , Conventional Super HET combined with SDR chipset , but Depending on Brand of SDR the Frequenies will be Different as is With the Case of the AOR DV-10. BOTH the Whistler Scanners and UNIDEN are using DECADES old TECH.. which is why I prefer the ICOM R30, its continuous coverage (cell blocked ). but I am Excited for the TRX-100 as its giving me DMR and NXDN all for FREE.

hardsuit

questnz - the UNIDEN and Whistler scanner are BOTH using A Decades OLD Conventional Super HET with a SDR chipset, and they are MANY to chose from. ICOM has ONE and AOR DV-10 has the Altera Cyclone IV FPGA and the Analog Blackfin SDR DSP. we Don't know what SDR Chipset the UNIDEN or the ICOM R30 is using , but we know the ICOM specs.and we Don't know yet what SDR chipset the NEW Whistler TRX-100 will use.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
questnz - you are wrong about the SDS100. the Radios is the SAME Decades OLD base radios as the 436 but adds a SDR chipset. the base Radio - check frequency bands, is the very same. just for certain bands , likely just VHF/UHF 700 and 800 Mhz is SDR used. <snip>
BOTH the Whistler Scanners and UNIDEN are using DECADES old TECH.. which is why I prefer the ICOM R30, its continuous coverage (cell blocked ).

questnz - the UNIDEN and Whistler scanner are BOTH using A Decades OLD Conventional Super HET with a SDR chipset, and they are MANY to chose from.<snip>
we Don't know what SDR Chipset the UNIDEN or the ICOM R30 is using , but we know the ICOM specs.and we Don't know yet what SDR chipset the NEW Whistler TRX-100 will use.

The above is entirely incorrect in regards to the SDS100. The SDS100's receiver design is entirely based on SDR chipset technology for all bands. The chipset in use, as has been disclosed in several posts in these forums, is the Rafael Micro R836

but I am Excited for the TRX-100 as its giving me DMR and NXDN all for FREE.

a) Only if they choose to not pay the mandatory DMR licensing fees; and
b) If like the TRX-1/2 actually trunk tracing operation is not implemented on W vs U.

questnz

Thank you Paul, well said. Actually both radios have pros and cons, I don't own SDS100 (yet) but what I read here SDS100 currently outperforming any radio on simulcast reception. From here is a matter or opinion from the users of both brands. Definitely SDS100 is a step forward but it is a complex piece of electronics and it may be some time to iron out some glitches, TRX-100 will come out and no doubt it will need some firmware updates as well.. Whistler no need to follow Uniden with new radio just as Icom R30 didn't follow any any particular brand. Sorry we cant have everything perfect in one package, not possible especially for the money we prepare to pay for it. My Yupiteru 7100 and then AOR 8000 and AOR 3000A was perfect, but it was long time ago when was no trunking and I could listen to analog Cellphones and neighbors Cordless phones, then Uniden come with 396T and it was nearly perfect scanner at THAT time too. Today we want and expect more, much more. But technology changed since then and now manufacturers found hard to keep up with it, then is a Licensing and technology transfer issues etc etc. Hobby become more complex by the day. Happy days

Ps I remember in my old IT life when on one the seminars guys from Intel told us that the proposed DDR PC memory type will never get of the ground (Intel have other ideas for the future then called Rambas Memory) than they told us that the CPU pin grid on old motherboards are absolute and saturated now and Industry need to change to Slot CPU type just like add on cards and they did, not for long, they reversed CPU slot back to grid and accepted industry that DDR memory is the way forward. Technology cycle very short indeed.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I have two P25 CQPSK systems in my area and another near my in-laws home. My TRX-1 will decode about 10% while the SDS-100 will decode about 98% with 2% being reported as garbled or digital from the system radio or the dispatchers.

hardsuit

UPMan - nice to hear the Details of the SDS100, I could not find any Technical Details other than Consumer released info, thank you.
I've be Scanning/Monitoring for a long time. so, I have Learned to use Manual Scanning of TRUNKING systems for both Analog and Digital , so NOT having Trunktracking is not a Dealbreaker for me.
I really Like the ICOM , I just Wish both Uniden and Whistler were more like the R30.

Status
Not open for further replies.