SDS100 your likes / dislikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Definitely better reception on simulcast. Can hear stuff without chop or garbles on local simulcast systems.

Definitely better display. Clearer, more detailed, more contrast, and brighter. And customizable!

Scans analog channels faster than the 436, 100-120 cps vs 80 cps for the 436.

Charging while scanning. You have to enable it in the battery menu, but only once. Serial/storage menu activated by USB data rather than power, so just plugging into a charger doesn't trigger a pointless menu.

Slightly better speaker.

Weather resistant case.

Room to mod with internal GPS.

Dislikes:
Shorter battery life.

More of a PITA to install internal GPS than the 436.

Overall, 3 thumbs up.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Menu \ Settings \ Battery Options \ Set Charge While On \ Enable

vocoder

Thanks a bunch jon! You saved the night and me from more character swearing

john

Why off out of the box. smh

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
1. Is there a way to charge the battery externally? Or, will there be?

2. Can I directly load a Favorites List from Sentinel that was created for my 436HP?

vocoder

Not found a way yet. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
Although it would have saved my wife and kids from some of my grumpiness earlier

mikeybus44

Premium Subscriber
1. Is there a way to charge the battery externally? Or, will there be?

2. Can I directly load a Favorites List from Sentinel that was created for my 436HP?

I downloaded my whole 436 profile to the 100 and have them running side by side to see and hear the differences.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering how the reception compares to the G5. Since they both cost about the same.

I can't speak as to the g5. But I'm listing to your NJICS from over hear near Easton, PA (Hunterton Site) and it sounds much much better than the 436/536 or the Whistlers. What I can say about Unication, is that Bethlehem City over hear in PA sounds much better on the SDS100 than it does on my Phase 1 G4.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1. We will have an external battery charger accessory. Expected this Summer.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I just listened to a patient report on the Franklin County PA simulcast site with the SDS100, about 2 minutes of clear audio and no garbles. My 536 scanned past the transmission several times and never stopped.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
The scanner is awesome overall... just spent most of the day with it. (more yada yada yada).

The screen is amazing... so much easier to read. Customizable information and layout so I can see what I want to see and where I want to see it. The screen color options are a bit overwhelming but that is a pro, not a con. I like choices, I just can't settle on what I like. :lol:

It is perfectly sized. I like that it is a little thicker than I thought it was going to be and the general shape of the case is perfect for one-handed operation.

The keyboard feels great and I love the addition of the soft keys. Now it makes much more sense when entering upgrade keys and entering System/Department labels manually. (No more 4 to go back, 6 to go forward.)

The charge while scanning feature is a welcome addition.

I noticed that the scanner gets slightly warmer than I have noticed any other scanner being. Not hot at all but just slightly warm to the touch up around the adapter and the part of the case behind the screen. I have noticed this during normal operation... not just while charging. I also understand that it has a lot more going on under the hood than past scanners too. Again, not a con... just an observation.

The scanner seems to respond much faster to keypresses and I have noticed it is much faster at enabling/disabling FQKs.

My only "complaint" is the size of the SMA/BNC adapter. (I also understand the reason for this new adapter is to better fit to the scanner case, which keeps the JIS4 rating intact). The adapters in the past were wider and I could hold the base of it while loosening/tightening an antenna. With this adapter, it is really hard to loosen/tighten a BNC antenna, especially while the adapter is connected to the scanner. This will probably be less of a problem in time as the adapter gets some wear. Not a con of the scanner at all, just an observation.

Overall, I believe this scanner changes everything. :D

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
noticed that the scanner gets slightly warmer than I have noticed any other scanner being. Not hot at all but just slightly warm to the touch up around the adapter and the part of the case behind the screen. I have noticed this during normal operation... not just while charging. I also understand that it has a lot more going on under the hood than past scanners too. Again, not a con... just an observation.

It actually gets substantially warmer. Not quite hot enough to cook a waffle.

If it gets too warm (either from environmental heat or operational heat) charging is suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.