i work in the Media and their has been many times in a emergency
i have had to run up to wall-mart and get some AA batteries and you can
not do this with this radio this makes this radio not wroth the money
i can not use it for work who at uniden came up with this i am waiting for the
Whistler there radio will use AA batteries what were you thing
uniden

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 has the competition scared to death.

I doubt that Whistler is "scared to death."

They may be wishing they were farther along with their own LSM scanners, but now that the SDS100 is out, they probably have a much better idea of where the pitfalls are and what their radios need to do (or not do) to compete effectively.

If the TRX-100 can do a reasonable job of handling simulcast systems while powered by four AA-batteries, rest assured Whistler will sell quite a few.

I'm thrilled with my SDS100, but I'm willing to give up some of its bells and whistles for a "bread and butter" scanner that runs economically on AA batteries, doesn't get hot, and doesn't require a special, third-party BNC antenna adapter to more easily change out BNC antennas.

-Johnnie

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm thrilled with my SDS100, but I'm willing to give up some of its bells and whistles for a "bread and butter" scanner that runs economically on AA batteries, doesn't get hot, and doesn't require a special, third-party BNC antenna adapter to more easily change out BNC antennas.

-Johnnie

Then it will not be a scanning SDR radio. The technology requires more power than AAs can reasonably provide.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
And my factory included SMA to BNC adapter works great I find no reason to use anything different.
My GPS works great with the RR Database or my Favorite List.
My TRX-1 barely Charges while turned on now much less when you double or triple the power consumption and that does not count charging with a SDR receiver and display. To get the same runtime out of AA rechargeable batteries you will have to have 6 or more batteries more like 8 that is gust a guess going on current TRX-1 power demands.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Then it will not be a scanning SDR radio. The technology requires more power than AAs can reasonably provide.

I must admit that I don't have a deep technical understanding of how software-defined radios work.

My question therefore is whether or not a software-defined radio is required to properly demodulate LSM.

The commercial simulcast radios I've used don't seem to require any more power than their non--simulcast predecessors.

Your thoughts?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
And my factory included SMA to BNC adapter works great I find no reason to use anything different.

Thanks for the response.

My hands are only medium-sized, but I couldn't get the Uniden-supplied BNC adapter to stay in place while changing antennas without a lot of difficulty or a pair of needle-nosed pliers. I bought some of Jon Wienke's BNC adapters, and that solved the problem!

Also, if Whistler chooses to go the eight AA-battery route, that will be fine with me. The new big-battery SDS100 is starting to get a little bulky, too.

Happy monitoring!

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

There are plenty of SDR devices that run off USB ports. Uniden's problem is they chose a TV tuner from the 90's that requires a huge battery .

belvdr

No longer interested in living
There are plenty of SDR devices that run off USB ports. Uniden's problem is they chose a TV tuner from the 90's that requires a huge battery .
I have seen many of these claims but no evidence. What tuner chip are they using that's using the most current? From what I have read, it is mostly due to the numerous processors.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The tuner chip uses 20-25% of the total power used by the SDS100. And it's not 1990s-vintage technology.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The tuner chip uses 20-25% of the total power used by the SDS100. And it's not 1990s-vintage technology.
Even if it was 90s tech, who cares as long as it functions as advertised.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I must admit that I don't have a deep technical understanding of how software-defined radios work.

My question therefore is whether or not a software-defined radio is required to properly demodulate LSM.

The commercial simulcast radios I've used don't seem to require any more power than their non--simulcast predecessors.

Your thoughts?

The commercial P25 radios also don't run off AAs, because AAs don't have the power density to support the duty cycle. The newer Motos and Harris P25 radios are SDRs, but are many times more expensive than the SDS. They also are not designed to actively scan tens or hundreds of channels and multiple systems. Earlier commercial radios that supported LSM were what amounted to proprietary designs, more or less engineered to work on their manufacturer's systems. A scanner needs to work on a wide variety of systems from different manufacturers, and it appears that Uniden and Whistler have determined that a SDR design is the way forward because of the flexibility it offers for the newer waveforms.

scannermike11

Banned
what are you going do you do in some kind of emergency

well i am you glad happy with sds100 what are you going do you do in some kind of emergency
like a flood or fire hope your battery dose not die
that why i have my radios to be used in a emergency

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
The commercial P25 radios also don't run off AAs, because AAs don't have the power density to support the duty cycle. The newer Motos and Harris P25 radios are SDRs, but are many times more expensive than the SDS. They also are not designed to actively scan tens or hundreds of channels and multiple systems. Earlier commercial radios that supported LSM were what amounted to proprietary designs, more or less engineered to work on their manufacturer's systems. A scanner needs to work on a wide variety of systems from different manufacturers, and it appears that Uniden and Whistler have determined that a SDR design is the way forward because of the flexibility it offers for the newer waveforms.

Thanks for the information, maus92.

It's going to be interesting to see what Whistler does about the SDR/power issue.

I believe I read a post elsewhere in the RadioReference forum that said Whistler has chosen to keep using the TRX-1 case for its TRX-100 scanner (speculation at this time, of course). To me, that sounded like a four-AA-battery power source proposition, which, if it works somehow, would be a pretty impressive accomplishment, based on your input above.

Depending on what Whistler decides to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see Uniden develop a "light" version of the SDS100 that takes a step or two back from that scanner's state-of-the-art technology and feature-set . . . kind of what they did with the BCD325P2 after the BCD436HP had been out for awhile. We'll see . . .

Don't get me wrong, I love my SDS100. It's the ONLY scanner in my arsenal that can reliably receive my local Harris UHF simulcast system from virtually every location within range. However, it has its problems, as many people have noted here, and I'm pretty sure Whistler is taking note of all this feedback (if it isn't already too late).

Exciting stuff!

-Johnnie

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information, maus92.

It's going to be interesting to see what Whistler does about the SDR/power issue.

I believe I read a post elsewhere in the RadioReference forum that said Whistler has chosen to keep using the TRX-1 case for its TRX-100 scanner (speculation at this time, of course). To me, that sounded like a four-AA-battery power source proposition, which, if it works somehow, would be a pretty impressive accomplishment, based on your input above.

Depending on what Whistler decides to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see Uniden develop a "light" version of the SDS100 that takes a step or two back from that scanner's state-of-the-art technology and feature-set . . . kind of what they did with the BCD325P2 after the BCD436HP had been out for awhile. We'll see . . .

Don't get me wrong, I love my SDS100. It's the ONLY scanner in my arsenal that can reliably receive my local Harris UHF simulcast system from virtually every location within range. However, it has its problems, as many people have noted here, and I'm pretty sure Whistler is taking note of all this feedback (if it isn't already too late).

Exciting stuff!

-Johnnie

While Whistler may use a case / form factor from a previous radio, that doesn't mean they won't be using a lithium battery to get the power density required. We'll have to wait to find out. I haven't had any performance issues with my SDS, but then again I use it to monitor trunked systems in the 700/800 range almost exclusively, with an occasional foray into VHF for the DNR regions that have yet to switch over to 700. Still, no detectable issues for me. But if the issues are widespread, I'm sure Uniden will address them as new firmware is released - which is the point of SDR based designs.

scannermike11

Banned
in any case we should wait to see what Whistler
comes up with it may be a better radio that Uniden SDS100
Whistler has time to look at all of Uniden mistakes Whistler is all the old
GRE people and GRE always came up with great radios

jz3

Premium Subscriber
I just recently took the plunge and have mixed feelings about this scanner. Like many of you I have been into this hobby for decades and am experienced at programming and tweaking. I will be brief here.

Likes: I love the color display and it's ability to decode the simulcast systems in my immediate area.

Dislikes: (1) Having the screen time out every 15 seconds on battery (is there a setting that I am missing?). (2) The rubber-coated menu/function buttons on the side that feel like they will wear out quickly. (3) The clicky bubble pad buttons on the front feel cheap as well. (3) My major complaint like others here is the reception (or lack of) distant trunk systems that every other scanner on my bench can receive. I have tried a variety of antennas but they don't make much difference. I am debating whether to send it out to Uniden for repair. I live in southern Macomb County MI and would like to know other users experiences in my area.

Thanks, Jon

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1) Yes, there is a setting under Display Options.
2) Same material as many other previous models for 15 years...no huge problem with this material wearing out under normal use.
3) Design is optimized to improve simulcast performance. Overall RF performance (mostly noticeable on analog) is typically no better (and in some cases could be better or worse) than previous models.

jz3

Premium Subscriber
2) Same material as many other previous models for 15 years...no huge problem with this material wearing out under normal use.
3) Design is optimized to improve simulcast performance. Overall RF performance (mostly noticeable on analog) is typically no better (and in some cases could be better or worse) than previous models.

No offence Upman this is my first Uniden purchase in many years. I currently own several GRE/Whistler products as well as commercial radios for monitoring simulcast. Just my 2 cents on the build quality. I would really like to hear other user's experiences in my area (Macomb County MI) on sites such as Lakeville, Pontiac and Northville.

Thanks again, Jon

radio3353

Meaning there have been some less than "huge" problems? Please clarify. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.