SDS200 Hum Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Was this a repaired unit, a new replacement, or did you just try the luck of the draw and purchase a new one directly from Uniden? I currently have my unit in for repair for the second time and will be extremely disappointed if the problem is not addressed this time around.

He said it was from the seller on Amazon, as he quoted a post from that discussion.

Uniden doesn't sell them directly right now...they'll show out of stock and you'll be directed to a dealer.

ansky

I bought my SDS200 last week from Police Scanner Outlet (via Amazon) and there is no hum.

oldtimeradio

My Experience,
My SDS200 came with ground mod. last 4 SN1545. HRO NH about March 21st.
I'm using a 5 watt audio amp, two speaker feeds in house. That's so I can amplify the "No Hum".

Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Need to push that in a little further. The little tabs should drop in front of that front bracket.

Reactions: RRR

mrkelso

Need to push that in a little further. The little tabs should drop in front of that front bracket.
Got it covered moved it back. I had to do 2 more after this one. They all sound Perfect no hum no buzz no blakh.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
What does it mean if my Jan.10th SDS200 has no Hum? What was done differently to avoid it, I only hear a slight ticking sound if I put the speaker up to my ear.
Should I add the part Uniden is supplying for free? Thank you

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If a tree falls in the forest and you can't hear it, you don't need an axe (unless you are an axe collector).

Ok, that means, if it doesn't have noise, I wouldn't bother with installing the part, myself, but it is in the end up to you whether you want to do it anyway.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My SDS200 did not have the hum at all so I have not ordered the part. As this does not seem to be a malfunction that happens after much use, I doubt that I will have to. I would not open up the scanner unless it was an absolute must.

JD
kf4anc

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I ordered a sds200 that already had the part installed, still hummed, talked to another member? Same thing. But this morning he said he updated the firmware and it doesn’t hum anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
As I understood it, the hum fix was both the part installed and firmware updates? I believe the combination of both will lesson or alleviate the hum altogether. Thankfully (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues with either one of my SDS's, both perfect out of the box.

torishu

I just received my second SDS200.

As I've said, I kept my first unit with the hum and was able to satisfactorily mitigate (though not eliminate) the hum on that unit. I was pleased enough to order a second.

I made sure to order from an authorized seller that had told users their stock was all-new with the fixes applied.

My second unit's hum is noticeably louder than my first unit after repair (though not as loud as my first unit pre-repair).

Furthermore, the serial number of my second unit is LOWER than my first unit. My first unit's serial number's last four digits are 14xx and the second unit's are 07xx.

Does anybody know whether all the units were sent back to Uniden for the fix and perhaps I just did a better job than their technicians of installing the mitigation part? Or is it more likely that old stock was lobbed off on me? I really have no idea and have had no issues with the retailer in the past and consider myself a loyal customer.

I don't really want to open it up and see if the part is installed or not. I've spent more than enough time inside the SDS200 and would just like to enjoy it. I'm considering exchanging but thought I would ask here first. Perhaps old stock was sent to Uniden to have the part installed and I'm not going to do any better with an exchange. Anybody out there with any insight?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Where did you buy it? I would call them and explain the situation and tell them you want an exchange with new stock. I just spoke with a Uniden rep today who told me that all the new stock did not have any hum issues (or screen flicker as some have reported, this seems to be very few radios). If, indeed, you are a loyal return customer of theirs, I would think they would rectify the situation and get a new-stock radio out to you without hesitation. There is a lot to be said for loyalty.

JD
kf4anc

torishu

Where did you buy it?

I don't want to throw anybody under the bus just yet without an explanation as to what might be going on. They're one of the bigger authorized dealers I see mentioned, though. Definitely scanner-centric. No third-party Amazon seller or anything of that ilk.

It's too late to call but I do have an e-mail out.

But, yeah... you've pretty much spelled out my concerns -- is the noise mitigation part already installed? Should I be concerned about the display flicker rearing its head as well with such an early serial number? Seems unlikely a serial number so much earlier than my first unit is "new batch" but maybe stock was sent back to Uniden to fix or Uniden had some earlier numbered units around that got fixed before going out.

torishu

Wow, my bad. The "brand new" second unit's serial number is 01xx. ;)

So, quite a bit earlier than my 14xx first unit from February. I just pulled the boxes and units out again to triple-check the numbers.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Not sure how Uniden handles returned units, but I imagine they would be repaired and shipped out as 'refurbished' and would not be sold as new? Of course, it could be old stock in inventory where you bought. I would address your concerns to the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.