SDS200 - LAN??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Just unboxed my SDS200 - I now have it in my grubby hands....

OK, so tell me, what good (currently) is the RJ45.
(ProScan is just serial for now, right?)

It is on my network, IP assigned, but what then...?
192.168.1.XXX just says: "I am scanner called XXXXXX."

I have had an SDS100 for awhile, so whom can give me a quick primer on the 200.
As in, what 'tricks are up it's sleeve'.

Thanks

eaf1956

Feed Provider
SDS200 doing Evansville Feed
d249d4b1daa22a89afc62d099109c9fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Proscan is set up with URL for metadata and URL for audio all through the front mounted LAN cable. Works great! URL audio is just like the 536 wifi dongle audio. Proscan shows an example just replace the ip with whatever the scanner IP is.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
@eaf1956 Sounds good. Will listen for a while on RSOIP. Any difficult talkgroups/frequencies to watch for?
The only thing about RSOIP is that you have to use the full Proscan version. The client only version hasn't been updated to work with the newer scanners. Bob says about 2 weeks for a client update.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
@eaf1956 Sounds good. Will listen for a while on RSOIP. Any difficult talkgroups/frequencies to watch for?

Or you could use the Web Server feature. That way any web browser will work on any platform. One drawback is the audio will be delayed (typically 24 seconds) due to the media player latency/network buffer.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Or you could use the Web Server feature. That way any web browser will work on any platform. One drawback is the audio will be delayed (typically 24 seconds) due to the media player latency/network buffer.
The web server is also running albeit on a different port.

Ncfirewire

Premium Subscriber
i also am a bit confused on the purpose of the lan port when it comes to streaming. You still need a computer to run proscan (or any other software) to get your feed to broadcastify. So why not just plug your lan cable into the computer??

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe you will be able to connect the SDS-200 directly into a router port and do firmware and database updates without the need of a PC computer! There's enough room in the box for a embedded Linux computer. The process could even be automated to do it at preset intervals.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
i also am a bit confused on the purpose of the lan port when it comes to streaming. You still need a computer to run proscan (or any other software) to get your feed to broadcastify. So why not just plug your lan cable into the computer??
What are you trying to accomplish by plugging the "lan cable" into the computer? To access the device for configuring, you *might* need a crossover cable, but I'm not sure the radio has this functionality (yet.) It's pretty easy to program / update the radio via the USB port. The streaming / recording function over a LAN is awesome btw - no ground loop noise or other audio mixing issues. Very quiet audio, and I can hear just how bad my local SmartZone analog audio quality is compared to the P25 system also monitor.

dfw1193

I have for now turned off my Lan jack in the settings until I fully explore the unit and other software I use, I connect to computer thru front micro usb and later will try thfe one on the back of the unit as well.

mancow

Database Admin
Maybe you will be able to connect the SDS-200 directly into a router port and do firmware and database updates without the need of a PC computer! There's enough room in the box for a embedded Linux computer. The process could even be automated to do it at preset intervals.
Yes if you access it using an FTP client you can add firmware files and whatever else.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
What are you trying to accomplish by plugging the "lan cable" into the computer? To access the device for configuring, you *might* need a crossover cable, but I'm not sure the radio has this functionality (yet.) It's pretty easy to program / update the radio via the USB port. The streaming / recording function over a LAN is awesome btw - no ground loop noise or other audio mixing issues. Very quiet audio, and I can hear just how bad my local SmartZone analog audio quality is compared to the P25 system also monitor.

It accomplishes the same thing as a WIFI dongle did on the 536HP, it connects the scanner to the internet.

Houdini7

Premium Subscriber
I have been able to view files via FTP, but I have been unable to transfer anything to the SDS200... Although I have seen videos of the Beta users doing so ...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It accomplishes the same thing as a WIFI dongle did on the 536HP, it connects the scanner to the internet.
Seems a bit backwards - it's essentially turning a pc into a bridge assuming it was configured properly - that's not the preferred way to attach a device to a network.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Can confirm the Siren app for the 536 works well with the SDS200. Just enter scanner's IP into the siren app and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.