SDS200 possible keypad backlight issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Comparing my sds200 vs the sds100 screen I would agree that the 100 is brighter and more crisp. I guess it's like watching a HD tv vs a 4k tv.

This might be the way it is because of a larger screen...

wise871

Database Admin
This topic is about the keypad backlight being dim, not the screen brightness which is fine. This unit is unusable at night if I can’t see the keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have no doubt that Uniden is going to get on top of this.

I wouldn't know but I would think the only way to repair this issue is in the shop. I don't think there is a remote way to fix this just like there wasn't with the dim displays on the X36.

We saw two units one number away from each other on the serial number and one had a dim keyboard and the other had a bright keyboard. That's going to be a problem because the defective units can't be isolated through a series of serial numbers. It appears to be random.

This is going to be a big headache for Uniden but the only way to solve it is to get on top of it today. Uniden will jump on this like they did the weak battery on the SDS 100. I guess the biggest problem is the defective units that are in the pipeline and on their way to the consumer.

Every consumer receiving this product has to be assured that their particular unit will have a bright keyboard especially for mobile application. As much of a PIA this is for everybody this will be made right.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We saw two units one number away from each other on the serial number and one had a dim keyboard and the other had a bright keyboard. That's going to be a problem because the defective units can't be isolated through a series of serial numbers. It appears to be random.

Those were two separate photos...impossible to tell if brightness was really different or was camera exposure different between photos. Only way to show is to take one photo with both units at the same time.

Keypad backlight is not as bright as 996 (by design) but I'm not seeing big variations in brightness in the samples I'm checking. But, will continue to check.

wise871

Database Admin
I will have my friend bring his by and take a photo of them together. Even with my video you can clearly see how dim it is. I can barely see the numbers in a dark room.

mancow

Database Admin
It reminds me of the night vision goggle settings on some equipment. It's barely there.

BigC801

Those were two separate photos...impossible to tell if brightness was really different or was camera exposure different between photos. Only way to show is to take one photo with both units at the same time.

Keypad backlight is not as bright as 996 (by design) but I'm not seeing big variations in brightness in the samples I'm checking. But, will continue to check.

The only way to see the back light on mine is to cup your hands around it and make it pitch dark!

wise871

Database Admin
My friend is bring his by this evening for a comparison and photos.

ansky

Does each individual key have it's own LED, or is there one single large LED that is supposed to light up the entire keypad? I could kind of see if 1 bulb is bad, but not multiple bulbs on every key.

dfw1193

I am able to fully reset my bcd536hp by holding down 2,9, and channel buttons when turning it on but not sure if that would work for sds models since my sds200 wont arrive till this Thursday ... 2 days to go,

WeBeCinYa

Backlight on my new SDS100 keypad seems weak. Appears like there is one single led behind number 5 and the hope is it spreads to all keys, which it doesn’t. Kinda cheap looking and I suspect it’s set up similar on 200’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mharris

Premium Subscriber

I viewed two SDS-200(s) side by side today with the lights off in the room. Unfortunately, one unit had a very dim keypad back light; the other unit had a keypad that was barely lit at all, much worse than the other - big variation. Settings were verified; back lighting for the keypad was set to ON for both units. The units have serial numbers 1 number apart. The back light issue on the keypad is an actual, real problem. The brighter of the two units was marginally acceptable, but the dimmer unit was not acceptable at all and was clearly defective.

Half hypothesis, half fact's we already know: These units are mass produced on cheap labor assembly lines in Southeast Asia (Vietnam to be specific). I have to believe that quality control is lacking and parts used are not good quality (Captain Obvious, I know).

At this time I cannot recommend purchasing the SDS-200 due to personally observed variances with the keypad back light. If you do purchase, there is a significant chance you will need to return the unit.

On a side note, both units had the buzzing/humming noise coming from the speaker with the volume turned all the way down. The buzzing noise was not audible unless you put your ear to the speaker. I wasn't concerned about it on the units I tested. However, I do realize this is a bigger (louder) issue with other units.

dfw1193

If you paid with visa you should be protected under the credit card company and be able to get a full refund whether the company agrees or not as long as you contact the company first and try to get them to replace the unit or issue a full refund, then when they dont notify visa with whom you spoke with and dispute the visa charge based on the issues and non cooperation from the company who sold it to you.

Ubbe

Don't you have to give the company a fair chance to repair the unit? In my country you have to let a company do two repair attempts of the same kind of fault during the warranty period and if the fault appears a third time they have to replace the unit with a similar one, not brand new, or give some sort of compensation if you accept that.

/Ubbe

Peerlessk

Anyone else think the dim keys are by design ? What I mean is . By design to keep distraction from keys and focus on the screen . Even so the keys should be a bit brighter . For what I was going to do with a second one is on hold . Keys need be brighter for vehicle use . Uniden what are your plans for the dim key ball drop ?

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Personally, The dim backlight for the keyboard is fine for me, doesn't distract from the very active screen ...

Status
Not open for further replies.