SDS200 Remote Head currently being tested by Uniden Beta Testers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I haven't seen this specific information posted anywhere on Radio Reference thus far, so I figured I would share it for those who may be interested.

I just finished reading a very thorough review of the Uniden SDS200 in the April 2019 issue of The Spectrum Monitor. The review was written by Larry Van Horn, N5FPW, who was previously affiliated with Grove Enterprises and Monitoring Times magazine. The SDS200 review is on pages 9-14 in that issue.

On page 13 of the review Mr. Van Horn states the following:

"There is information now that indicates that the Uniden Beta Testers may be testing a remote head for this unit that would aid in mobile installs."

For those who would would like to read the entire 6-page SDS200 review in the current April 2019 issue, you can purchase individual monthly issues of The Spectrum Monitor ($3 each) and/or subscribe here: The Spectrum Monitor - Powered by Network Solutions.

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
"There is information now that indicates that the Uniden Beta Testers may be testing a remote head for this unit that would aid in mobile instal

This could be awesome. I'll add that a touchscreen would make this even better. While they are at it, how about Wifi enabled auto-updates!!

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Well, if the reports are true and if the remote head is what I like to call a "true remote head" (i.e. powered by the base unit and can control the power of said base unit - two things the RH96 lacked), then I'd plunk down cash for both items immediately.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I was scratching my head about how I was going to mount my SDS200 box. (literally, a box) A remote head (cable attachment, it being the same as the display front of the SDS200, all knobs, etc.) and reasonably priced, and I'm on it.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Remote heads are an absolute must with most any vehicle after 2014-2015. The dashboards have lost their DIN slots for large integrated displays. They've become sleek and curvy. Not at all friendly for a large rectangle box. It's what pushed me to leave Uniden kicking and screaming after 20 years for Whistler for my primary mobile gear. I decided on my latest vehicle in 2016 thinking the RH-96 was still in production. HA what a maddening surprise that was.

The SDS200 looks perfect for a remote head. (cough)USB provides data and power(cough). I'd drop cash instantly. And not sure how customizable the SDS200 display is, but if there can be a mobile-friendly config that puts emphasis on keeping extraneous info off the display and only stuff like Alpha, and where it is in the radio programming, then awesome!

Ubbe

Upman mentioned that there's no scanner that have a spectrum display where you can point&click at a signal and listen to it, yet. Don't know if that has something to do with the remote head or possibly any future SDS500 model or an app for tablet/Windows connected to the unused USB option connector on the SDS scanners.

/Ubbe

Houdini7

Premium Subscriber
I think they're talking about that secret screen that you have us testing Upman.

You know, the 3D holographic display that is based on a 3 x 5 form factor that uses Folding OLED technology to expand to a user defined size. Complete with Spacial Rendering technology that operates over the undisclosed internal WiFi adaptor hidden in the unit.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Wanting to state for the record, I would buy another SDS200 is there were a reasonably priced remote display head available for it. I don't have room in my other vehicle without one.

Would it be improper to acknowledge that one is being considered?

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
There is a remote head program for beta testers.

Not quite a remote head per se, but still cool to see... despite the particularly mundane MARC chat LOL

For mobile use, this type of set-up would require another device (?PC) connected via LAN, it seems... personally, not what I'm looking for to streamline in mobile use; however I'm open for any viable solution that will allow mobile mounting in the space restricted newer vehicles!!

-cognetic

mule1075

Feed Provider
Would it be improper to acknowledge that one is being considered?

If and when one might be in the works we will be notified. It is historically known Uniden does not talk about or acknowledge anything in the pipeline until it is nearing production. Asking on the forums about it is usually not going to get you anywhere.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
There is a remote head program for beta testers.

That’s not a “Remote head” and will do no good in a mobile application.

So, is there a “Remote head” in development? I sure would like one. Hard to mount the “Box” in most vehicles these days, without it being obtuse.

If and when one might be in the works we will be notified. It is historically known Uniden does not talk about or acknowledge anything in the pipeline until it is nearing production. Asking on the forums about it is usually not going to get you anywhere.

Your opinion is duly noted. .....What would it hurt that we know this is something that may be offered in the future? Would sure sway me into purchasing one if there is, otherwise, I'll keep my 996P2, and use my SDS100 for mobile.

Ubbe

That program would be perfect if it was for a mobile phone or tablet and there was one additional button, to the right of the zip button, that said zoom or simple that would only display system/department/TG with a big font and a big volume/squelch wheel. The sys/dept/TG could be touch to hold, like a HP1/2, and there's probably also room for an avoid and record button as well as an exit button to normal mode and a toggle button for phone/scanner loudspeaker audio. It would require a generic $20 WiFi dongle connected to the LAN port if the scanner was in the car and not at home, remotly controlled from the car.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.