SDS200 Remote Head currently being tested by Uniden Beta Testers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I was a bit surprised that a remote had was not an option from the start for the SDS200. I'm fortunate that my current truck has room for it, but I don't know what I'll be buying next.

The Siren app with the 536 did what I need it to, which was give me a better display. A lot of people needed more from it and were disappointed that it wasn't further developed.

I'm surprised that none of the talented people on RadioReference have come up with a better app. I know nothing about app development, but it seems to me that a lot of the commands were released by Uniden some time back.

Anyway, the remote head projects being worked on by various people here have some potential for the SDS radios and maybe the x36HP scanners as well.

Unfortunately, a center console mount is not an option for me as that is where my transmission gear shift is located. Pic of my current set up, you can see that the limited space does not make mounting of a full sized unit practical. Seems Uniden's marketing team is out of touch with their market, or maybe there is not much of a market for vehicle mounted scanners? Seems to me that a scanner that has the functionality of the SDS-200 (supporting wide array of systems, simulcast management, GPS enabled, awesome display) combined with the remote head style of the TRX-2 would result in strong sales. Neither Uniden or Whistler seem to come up with that kind of scanner.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Seems to me that a scanner that has the functionality of the SDS-200 (supporting wide array of systems, simulcast management, GPS enabled, awesome display) combined with the remote head style of the TRX-2 would result in strong sales.

Who knows how accurate it is or where they stand, but I publicly asked Whistler recently on a post if they had abandoned the scanner market or were still actively working on updating firmware for current models and any new models and their response was "yes we are still active in the scanner market and are working on both firmware updates and new models as we speak". So...cross your fingers.

BTW...did that mount from lidomounts?

bklynrob70

Premium Subscriber
I was a bit surprised that a remote had was not an option from the start for the SDS200. I'm fortunate that my current truck has room for it, but I don't know what I'll be buying next.

The Siren app with the 536 did what I need it to, which was give me a better display. A lot of people needed more from it and were disappointed that it wasn't further developed.

I'm surprised that none of the talented people on RadioReference have come up with a better app. I know nothing about app development, but it seems to me that a lot of the commands were released by Uniden some time back.

Anyway, the remote head projects being worked on by various people here have some potential for the SDS radios and maybe the x36HP scanners as well.
Who knows how accurate it is or where they stand, but I publicly asked Whistler recently on a post if they had abandoned the scanner market or were still actively working on updating firmware for current models and any new models and their response was "yes we are still active in the scanner market and are working on both firmware updates and new models as we speak". So...cross your fingers.

BTW...did that mount from lidomounts?
It's actually two mounts, the one that houses the HAM radio bolts down at the driver seat bolt mount. That one I bought from a vendor at Pacificon a few months back. I can't remember his name but I've got his card somewhere, I'll look for it. The second mount that holds the Whistler was bought at Ham Radio Outlet. It's positioned between the seat and center console, not as sturdy as the first, but I've been off roading a few times and no issues.

bklynrob70

Premium Subscriber

Thanks. I think for now I'll stick with the Whistler and will wait and see if something presents down the line. The TRX is a great scanner and does what I need it to do. But the GPS option of the SDS really does appeal to me. Still shaking my heads that the folks at Uniden did not have the foresight to design it better but such is life.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

How recent was that statement from Whistler? Can you provide a link to that post?

garys

Premium Subscriber
He was clearly the driving force behind all of the newer scanners, but I'm sure that there are others involved. UPMan often mentioned talking with both software and hardware engineers.

It would be a shame if Uniden scanners aren't going to be further developed.

You do know the SDS designer passed away a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.