SDS200 Screen Flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
It’s still in return period more than likely so why bother messing with sending it for repair, just exchange for a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm waiting a week I conferred with ScannerMaster hoping Uniden comes out with a Firmware update to solve it. If they don't its going back!!

ArtU

If a solution is not in the next 5 days; mine is going back. In tests tonight it is doing nothing but getting worse even at 25% dimmer... and I took more video I can post tomorrow on Youtube...

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I'm waiting a week I conferred with ScannerMaster hoping Uniden comes out with a Firmware update to solve it. If they don't its going back!!

I dont blame you, its ridiculous that something that costs this much has all these issues. I’m afraid more and more things will start popping up and folks will be stuck with a $700 paper weight at some point after the return period is over. Then you’ll have to go though the PITA process of sending it in for repairs.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

ArtU

Mine is now at 25% LEVEL 200% worse, video to come in a few

ArtU

our warranty does not cover replacements, replacements would be handled through the retailer.

That is exactly why I bought from a dealer that would honor the truth, as you should do also...seems I went thru all this when the 996XT came out?

ArtU

It has gotten worse, I will contact my dealer and request a replacement in good faith...this is with the low dimmer setting..

Last edited:

Theo

Premium Subscriber
It has gotten worse, I will contact my dealer and request a replacement in good faith...this is with the low dimmer setting..
Thanks for the update. When I talked to ScannerMaster it may be tied to just one batch because I was concerned if I return it they will send me a new one with the same problem. I wish Paul from Uniden would chime in about this significant defect! Trying to find out if its Hardware or software so I can decide when to return!

mule1075

Feed Provider
Thanks for the update. When I talked to ScannerMaster it may be tied to just one batch because I was concerned if I return it they will send me a new one with the same problem. I wish Paul from Uniden would chime in about this significant defect! Trying to find out if its Hardware or software so I can decide when to return!
Just return it instead of playing the waiting game.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
OK, there was no answer from Uniden on Forums So I contacted ScannerMaster its going back tomorrow!

Meskoman

I purchased mine from ScannerMaster also and have had it on since last Friday when it was delivered and had no problem with the screen. I have now turned up the dimmer to 50% to see what happens.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
I purchased mine from ScannerMaster also and have had it on since last Friday when it was delivered and had no problem with the screen. I have now turned up the dimmer to 50% to see what happens.
That might not do it. You half to go to back light settings set medium to 70% and High to 100% and run it on High for a day or 2 then you should see something if there's a problem.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Exchange, insist on new replacement, not refurbished. Intermittent problems nearly always return and often worsen in my experience. Take this as a warning and take advantage of this window of opportunity before it closes on you.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
In the past Uniden held replacements units in the Texas office.
I should clarify. We will either replace or repair the unit, but the unit must be sent into the repair department to be looked at. Any unit must go through the warranty repair process, and how the unit is dealt with is at the discretion of the repair department.

There is no system to contact us to get a replacement outright.

Meskoman

That might not do it. You half to go to back light settings set medium to 70% and High to 100% and run it on High for a day or 2 then you should see something if there's a problem.

I'll pass on that. I put that in the category of turning the brightness all the way up on a brand new TV or monitor to see what happens.

ArtU

100% is whats needed to be seen in my normally very brite radio room from 4-5 feet away. On the other hand, turning up the brightness to full on my 65" UHD LCD TV would over drive it. In the old days that would be called "Bloom" but in the LCD days its really a different thing. These units are not being over driven at 100% . At 70% a bit low to be brite with natural lighting in the room, by the Sun or by the next best thing in Led lighting. Currently my unit is at 70, 50, 25 on settings and even at 25% , its really bad still.

I really think the back lighting is failing and it is picking up the CPU noise you can also hear in the speaker. They seem to be dancing together ;)

When things get really quiet , the display issue seems to go into remission till the next round of calls on the talk groups.
Shortly I will post a really bad looking video, last night the video I pulled down as some anonymous troll left an improper comment on the youtube so I deleted the posting.

ArtU

Here is the unit in the Dark:

Here it is with the lighting on:

And to remove any doubt on the side-bar chats I've had; I have not had any HF Amplifier on in the room or house since this was bought.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
100% is whats needed to be seen in my normally very brite radio room from 4-5 feet away. On the other hand, turning up the brightness to full on my 65" UHD LCD TV would over drive it. In the old days that would be called "Bloom" but in the LCD days its really a different thing. These units are not being over driven at 100% . At 70% a bit low to be brite with natural lighting in the room, by the Sun or by the next best thing in Led lighting. Currently my unit is at 70, 50, 25 on settings and even at 25% , its really bad still.

I really think the back lighting is failing and it is picking up the CPU noise you can also hear in the speaker. They seem to be dancing together ;)

When things get really quiet , the display issue seems to go into remission till the next round of calls on the talk groups.
Shortly I will post a really bad looking video, last night the video I pulled down as some anonymous troll left an improper comment on the youtube so I deleted the posting.

I highly recommend checking the "no comments allowed" option for this reason on Youtube. There is always some foul-mouthed lowlife that has to post something nasty, so I generally just don't allow comments, sad.

dfw1193

If I were you just for comfort before I returned it try to take it to another farther away room in your house and plug it in with an antenna and the supplied wall wart and just see if it does the same thing. If its defective im sure it will but I cant help but wonder if there is something else in or near that room that might be causing the issue. It just takes a few minutes to check and be sure, it can sure be seen but I would try it somewhere else just because of all the led lighting that there is no regulation on now and so much of it causes interference with radio equipment.

ipfd320

Banned
just a quick question for ( Artu ) if you stop the radio from scanning does the screen still flicker when there is a txmission (someone speaking)--if so i am Leaning toward a internal power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.